First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I am looking to place a deposit for a 4s. Does anyone know what dealers in the Bay Area have a short-wait time.
I have had a reservation at Stevens Creek from October '19 I was over 300 in the queue then, now I am like 140 in the queue of 4S's. The Bay Area is an EV haven with reasonably well off individuals. I also have a 2nd reservation in central California with a more optimistic outcome, but riding 2 horses until a build locks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Miwa

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Likely all the cars on Autotrader are sold orders, just that they automatically list everything to find interested buyers.

The wait in the Bay Area is probably at least a year. I'm not in a hurry, but if things aren't much better early next year, I'll start looking outside the area.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Hey all. I'm in Mountain View, using Stevens Creek Porsche as my dealer. I was number 49 on the complete list. Was supposed to have an April lock, but it locked in May. I really don't know if it was started or not. They don't really communicate with me proactively (but always respond to questions). I'm assuming an October delivery.

kennedyjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Audi A6
If anyone is interested Circle Porsche has a custom build slot available for delivery in February for a 4s.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Heya Bay Area Peeps.

As my car is nearly done with being built, I need to get ready for it. Here is some information I’m looking for. If you have referrals, please let me/us know!

1. An electrician. Yup, I need to plumb the garage for a new plug. If you’ve used someone you recommend, let me/us know!
  2. The car is very expensive (I’ve never owned a Porsche before) and it seems that people like to treat the paint with a special coating. I’m confused about what is the right thing to do. Opinions? And if you feel strongly that your guy did a good job, who is it?
  3. Window tinting. What are your thoughts on that?
  4. Anything else you might think of to allow me to join the Bay Area Porsche Club? (I know that doesn’t really exist....does it?)
Thanks!
~Ken

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Heya Bay Area Peeps.

As my car is nearly done with being built, I need to get ready for it. Here is some information I’m looking for. If you have referrals, please let me/us know!

4. Anything else you might think of to allow me to join the Bay Area Porsche Club? (I know that doesn’t really exist....does it?)
Thanks!
~Ken
Answer to #4
You join a chapter of Porsche Club of America PCA.org. There's a SF Bay Area Chapter. I sent you an invite as I am an associate member on my sons membership. You are generally able to attend events held by other chapters as well.

See you on a future spirited drive Ken.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Heya Bay Area Peeps.

1. An electrician. Yup, I need to plumb the garage for a new plug. If you’ve used someone you recommend, let me/us know!
  2. The car is very expensive (I’ve never owned a Porsche before) and it seems that people like to treat the paint with a special coating. I’m confused about what is the right thing to do. Opinions? And if you feel strongly that your guy did a good job, who is it?
Thanks!
~Ken
1. Depending on where you are in the Bay Area, I might have a recommendation. I'm in San Mateo and have a great electrician I've worked with on a number of projects.

2. I'm a big fan of both paint protection film and ceramic coating. There are a number of different choices, and people argue about them endlessly. Generally I've heard consistently great things about XPEL Ultimate. You can find more about local installers on their web site at xpel.com.

3. Personally not a fan. It's a matter of personal choice. If you've chosen the insulated glass option, it's probably not a great use of your money.

On #4, if you have the VIN you can go to PCA.org and join the Porsche Club of America right away. Depending on where you live in the SF Bay Area, I believe there are actually 3 different local regions (Golden Gate, Loma Prieta, and Diablo). I've been active in the Golden Gate Region for 20 years now, and I really like the people, events and cars!

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
1. Depending on where you are in the Bay Area, I might have a recommendation. I'm in San Mateo and have a great electrician I've worked with on a number of projects.
{snip}
I live in Mountain View. I see your car is supposed to arrive in September. My build looks like it will arrive in Benicia on September 4. When is yours expected?

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Heya Bay Area Peeps.

Thanks!
~Ken
1. We used Willow Glen Electric for our Tesla wall charger and they were incredibly professional and did a great job. Have not yet decided if we will ditch that charger and get one that doesn't require an adapter or not. (We will no longer own Teslas, the build quality issues were just abysmal, their only saving grace was being Electric and Autopilot)
2. We have used Wheel Xpress in San Jose and learned not to go with the cheaper places. We are doing full PPF wrap and a ceramic coating at OCDetailing which is a top shop in the area. It is quite pricey though. PPF= protection from scratches, dents, and minor accidents(we have a terrible shared driveway with several other houses, and have scraped our cars turning into the garage before, and PPF has 100% protected the paint from what would have been thousands to repair). Ceramic=super easy to clean.
3. Depends on car color. We are going with Frozen Blue, so won't.

For those still looking for a car: branch out! The bay area dealers as has been mentioned before in this thread have absolutely insane waits. Like, hundreds of cars deep.
If you are willing to do North of bay area, or in socal, there are plenty of dealers with allocation slots available. We found several when we were ordering back in February timeframe with immediate slots available. (In fact, ours is on a boat now from one of those slots we found from a dealer in LA)

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
1. We used Willow Glen Electric [snip]
2. We have used Wheel Xpress in San Jose [snip]
Thank you very much. I found Willow Glen Electric from a referral from my neighbor and concur with your assessment at their professionalism. Top notch service and reasonably priced compared to others. In fact, they were $1,000 under one quote AND they included pulling the permit. Highly recommend.

My car finishes being built...today. So now, the wait to have it shipped. Thank you for the recommendation and explanation for Wheel Xpress.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Found it! This is the photo of the damage we did to the car. 99% of it actually rubbed off of the PPF with a simple cleaning, we had to replace the PPF though as it ripped. This easily saved us a few thousand (and a knock on our carfax) just from the one incident.

This was on our Model S

Porsche Taycan Greetings Bay Area ppl! 1594144000354

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Found it! This is the photo of the damage we did to the car. 99% of it actually rubbed off of the PPF with a simple cleaning, we had to replace the PPF though as it ripped. This easily saved us a few thousand (and a knock on our carfax) just from the one incident.

This was on our Model S
Ok. I am sold.
Thanks
Sponsored