SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I installed Grizzl E L2 charger at my garage before bringing the car.
Unfortunately, the charger got stuck at the first try and I had to wiggle it for 10+ min to finally pull it off. Tried both side ports and the same. The locking mechanism worked good but the charger won't release even after unlock.

The default Porsche charger works well. no stuck.

I saw some ppl used the Grizzl charger without a problem. Is my charger a bad unit?
Sponsored

gentley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (sold), Taycan 4S
Country flag
I installed Grizzl E L2 charger at my garage before bringing the car.
Unfortunately, the charger got stuck at the first try and I had to wiggle it for 10+ min to finally pull it off. Tried both side ports and the same. The locking mechanism worked good but the charger won't release even after unlock.

The default Porsche charger works well. no stuck.

I saw some ppl used the Grizzl charger without a problem. Is my charger a bad unit?
I have also installed a Grizzl-E for my 4S and the first time I used it, it also got stuck…!

I ended up using a screwdriver to lift the latching mechanism in the handle to disengage it from the charge port on the car. After that I have had no more issues releasing it from either charge port.

I am guessing the latch may have been slightly bent which did not allow it to fully disengage from the lip on the charging port and manually lifting it with the screwdriver it “straightened” it…!

Other than this initial hiccup, the Grizzl-E seems to be a great EVSE.

OP
OP
SeanY

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have also installed a Grizzl-E for my 4S and the first time I used it, it also got stuck…!

I ended up using a screwdriver to lift the latching mechanism in the handle to disengage it from the charge port on the car. After that I have had no more issues releasing it from either charge port.

I am guessing the latch may have been slightly bent which did not allow it to fully disengage from the lip on the charging port and manually lifting it with the screwdriver it “straightened” it…!

Other than this initial hiccup, the Grizzl-E seems to be a great EVSE.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
I also forced the gripper to open more by a screwdriver, and took out the rubber ring (The dealer service man told me the rubber ring could be an issue). Now it works perfectly.
Apparently, it's a known issue. The customer service told me they'd send a new replacement with a 'fix'.

gentley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (sold), Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experience!
I also forced the gripper to open more by a screwdriver, and took out the rubber ring (The dealer service man told me the rubber ring could be an issue). Now it works perfectly.
Apparently, it's a known issue. The customer service told me they'd send a new replacement with a 'fix'.
Thanks for your feedback too. Will have a look at the rubber ring but everything seems fine now so will probably leave well alone...!

amazing

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 540i, '20 Merc Sprinter 4x4, 21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the same charger and mine has never gotten stuck. Do you press the button on the cars charging port before you try pulling out the charger?

OP
OP
SeanY

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have the same charger and mine has never gotten stuck. Do you press the button on the cars charging port before you try pulling out the charger?
I tried everything. Even pulled the emergency plug. I could hear the lock/unlock sound but the charger itself won't pull off.
Compared to the Porsche charger, I can feel the Grizzl gets connected much tighter because of the rubber ring. You should be able to feel 'resistance' before the charger clicks, so you have to 'push' the charger to connect. I don't need to push the Porsche charger. Also the distance between the charger tip and locking tip of the charger is much smaller than that of the Porsche charger. I had to extend it by force.

OP
OP
SeanY

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The replacement has arrived. The new one works perfectly without any sign of getting stuck. In and out is smooth without any tightness.
Clearly some models (the one I initially bought) have the issue and they re-design the plug. I can visually see the gripper opening is much larger. Also the pink rubber ring has been replaced by some dark ring.

If any of you have this issue, you may ask replacement. The customer service was very responsive.

OP
OP
SeanY

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When did you buy your unit. I purchased mine in March 2021 and it came with a black ring.
I bought in May 2021 from Amazon. I guess yours is a newer model.
Also, getting stuck was 100% charger's fault. It got stuck every time, even when the charger was not powered.
Sponsored