RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
For me it’s simply not an issue, given the number of occasions per year where it will be relevant.
Most of the time 200-250 isn’t an issue. Had one scary time early evening (6pm) in October travelling from Dorset to North Somerset 130 range for 80 mile journey seemed fine until major accident , diversion and no chargers en route. Porsche Customer care advised calling breakdown if I run out. Managed a 60 mile diversion!!
Sponsored

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
My 1991 Merc 500E and Ferrari 355 have a shorter range than my Taycan.

It is only since EVs that people have started banging on interminably about range.

I find it spectacularly irritating since it really isn’t that important and nobody got their knickers in a twist about it with sports cars before.
100% agree. When I bought my RS4, range was never part of the thought/buying process.
It was chronic in the winter 15-17mpg and reasonable in the summer 26-28mpg.
I've been driving a pre- heat pump 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance of late which is horrendous in the cold 130 miles on a full charge.
The 200 ish range in the Taycan will be a welcome luxury in comparison as will the feeling of joy whenever I sit or look at it other than the bag over my head i'm currently sporting.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
Just to add some balance, I think range is critical. My iPace was ok on range (summer 230 and winter very worryingly varied) and not so good on charging speed. The key challenge was accuracy, the iPace was terrible. I don’t have my Taycan yet (soon I think), but every bit of research I have done suggests range is better and accuracy is far superior. I believe these are going to be really important to most EV converts, and happily the Taycan has both in sufficient quantities. Most EV drivers will charge at home (until someting new comes out for those without space for their car), so its really only on long range trips you need to plan. We can’t compare to ICE, I would have absolutely no concern finding a spare petrol pump on my trip, but I do have concerns I might have a challenge finding a decent charger. Lets hope the charging network keeps up.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just to add some balance, I think range is critical. My iPace was ok on range (summer 230 and winter very worryingly varied) and not so good on charging speed. The key challenge was accuracy, the iPace was terrible. I don’t have my Taycan yet (soon I think), but every bit of research I have done suggests range is better and accuracy is far superior. I believe these are going to be really important to most EV converts, and happily the Taycan has both in sufficient quantities. Most EV drivers will charge at home (until someting new comes out for those without space for their car), so its really only on long range trips you need to plan. We can’t compare to ICE, I would have absolutely no concern finding a spare petrol pump on my trip, but I do have concerns I might have a challenge finding a decent charger. Lets hope the charging network keeps up.
We are pioneers curious enough to accept the challenge and keep going!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
100% agree. When I bought my RS4, range was never part of the thought/buying process.
I've been driving a pre- heat pump 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance of late which is horrendous in the cold 130 miles on a full charge.
The 200 ish range in the Taycan will be a welcome luxury in comparison as will the feeling of joy whenever I sit or look at it other than the bag over my head i'm currently sporting.
I think this is become more true over time, but range can absolutely be critical in some parts of the world. When I first got my Tesla a decade ago, there were no charging stations along many of the routes where I needed to go on certain trips. My first trip through the mountains was terrifying as the car started flashing warnings that I was not going to make my destination. Fortunately, once I made it to the peak of the mountain range and started going back down, my range improved, the car stopped yelling at me, BUT I arrived at my destination with about 5% charge. When you are with your family, it is not stupid to be concerned about this. And under these circumstances, even 10-20 miles of extra range can make a big difference in comfort and practicality. Now, over the years, more and more stations were installed, and even one additional station on a given route can make all of the difference in the world. Now, on the East Coast of the US where I live, there are many, many stations everywhere, and range is rarely on my mind. But a newbie coming in can't be blamed too much as this is a big switch in the way of thinking. I do believe that there are still many rural and semi-rural areas in the US where there are not too many stations, so an extra 10-20 miles of range could actually be meaningful. It's easy to forget this when you enjoy a plethora of benefits where you live.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I do not have too cold weather here in France. In winter perhaps the odd day down to freezing point but that is not so often.

I also have a pre heat pump Tesla Model 3 Performance from 2019, one of the first ones sold here. And I do not have a heat pump in my TT either.

If I disregard what any of the GOM says. I have basically the exact same range in km’s driving from both cars. And I have done the same motorway, local roads, downhill, uphill trip several times in both cars. There is a big difference in the consumption in kWh/100 km though. But the difference is about the same in percentage as the difference in usable battery size. Both cars show a large loss of range when driving in the cold, typically 20%+. And the only comparisons I have has been without preheating the battery in both cars before setting off.

Having a heat pump in the car should improve the range in cold weather in both cars I guess. But otherwise much of a muchness.
Sponsored