Has anyone been able to "unlock" features or functions on their Taycans?

JRemy

First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S & 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Country flag
Hey all,

As the topic states: My BMW i series has the ability to unlock certain performance and vanity features that are either disabled by the factory due to country limitations or options purchased with the car (even though the hardware was there).

I know, I know "it could void your warranty," .. but I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to jailbreak/unlock features using an OBD tool or even have the dealer open them up for you?
Sponsored

Last edited:

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Having had my share of BMW products, I know exactly what you mean. On the i3 REx there were those cool features like unlocking deeper fuel tank access etc. I'm not sure there is much one can do with the Taycan per se... that said I think with an OBD port and the right software, you can tinker with the air suspension a bit (set the height lower without spending big money on an aftermarket intercept module). Beyond that, though, not sure what other tips/tricks exist ... someone else perhaps can better elaborate.

T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
Porsche cashed in on the action with the features of demand.

In fairness I think it’s a good idea.

I’d be happy to jail break most cars. But no way would I on a Taycan.

OP
OP
JRemy

JRemy

First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S & 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Country flag
Porsche cashed in on the action with the features of demand.

In fairness I think it’s a good idea.

I’d be happy to jail break most cars. But no way would I on a Taycan.
Be interesting to see what features they release "as a service". If the price is right, I wouldn't be opposed. But then again, it's Porsche.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
You need the Porsche PIWIS software to do such bits.

I have been hobby programming/ coding BMW for over 10 years using tools like ISTA/P and ESys... discovered and enabled so many features, worked with legends like Tokenmaster and it was great.

Unfortunately, yet to get started with the Taycan.

Need to find a boo*leg* copy of PIWIS, then need to buy some form of OBD connector, and then need some spare time to experiment.
It is on the list... someday !

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Hey all,

As the topic states: My BMW i series has the ability to unlock certain performance and vanity features that are either disabled by the factory due to country limitations or options purchased with the car (even though the hardware was there).

I know, I know "it could void your warranty," .. but I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to jailbreak/unlock features using an OBD tool or even have the dealer open them up for you?
"Almost" a software-only tune/unlock for more horsepower. It's a software change, but requires module removal for reprogramming. If only I were brave enough to say goodbye to the 8-year battery warranty. https://www.hgp-turbo.de/audi-e-tron-gt-rs.html

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
there is a handful of some OBD11 style features you can toggle with VCDS. it's not as expensive as China PIWIS, so take some time and try. try to search "VCDS" here as well.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some options:
  1. There are settings that a (sympathetic and knowledgable) dealership tech can change in the PIWIS developer mode. My tech silenced the trunk close beeper that way.
  2. Bootleg PIWIS as mentioned above and discussed in many threads on the other forum that starts with Renn and ends with list.
  3. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/first-true-bev-tuning-available-hgp-turbo-software-for-maximum-battery-performance-acceleration-raising-vmax-speed-limiter-for-rs-etron-gt.14000/
  4. https://9xx.com/pages/9xx-experience-pricing
I have not been able to find any useful threads/posts/ links on Rennli**

Would you mind sending me PM with a thread/ post link regarding PIWIS on Rennli**?

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
Has anyone managed to set the auto regen setting to on by default, either by themselves or by the dealer? The one thing I do every time I get in the car.

trycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (2025 ordered)
Country flag

Would you mind sending me PM with a thread/ post link regarding PIWIS on Rennli**?
Same. I was not able to find any useful threads on that other site regarding this topic. Please share links if you get/have them.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Adding @trycan
To clarify, none of the bootleg PIWIS threads I've seen on the other forum are demonstrated on a Taycan, but they show what should be / will be possible. Sorry if I misled you.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Adding @trycan
To clarify, none of the bootleg PIWIS threads I've seen on the other forum are demonstrated on a Taycan, but they show what should be / will be possible. Sorry if I misled you.
Not an issue… My starting problem is getting hold a copy of PIWIS… I am happy to experiment on my own Taycan.

Can you share some link (PM or here) to get started? Copy of PIWIS? What else is needed? Some specific OBD hardware?

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
There are several features that as a US Taycan owner I'd like to change:
  1. disable the trunk closing "backup alarm" - one beep only (in my best Sean Connery/Red October accent. RIP)
  2. enable the antidazzle headlights that Europeans enjoy - no longer prohibited by US DOT.
  3. enable pedestrian illumination by the headlights with Night Vision (only does this in the tube/dashboard today). Again another feature that Europeans enjoy.
  4. remember/save the regen state in the various driving modes
  5. remember the driving mode you left the car in after restarting (this starts sounding like disableing the auto start/stop feature in ICE cars, lol)
  6. enable a higher level of regen to get closer to 1 foot driving (but can be disabled when desired)

and I'm sure there are others.
Sponsored