First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all,

on the second day of owning my (used) Taycan Turbo I went to Waitrose and after obviously put the shopping in the boot. Upon getting home the boot would not open, it tried to open there was a beep and nothing happened. after several attempts with all the ways of opening it i pulled down the back seats and took everything out to find one unused shopping bag has its handle jammed in the latch. Its a cotton or canvas bag for life type of thing and it will not budge. I've tried pulling in both directions whilst operating the lock but nothing, am now considering trying to dissolve the bag..... any suggestions please? i don't thing there is any kind of manual unlock option, I'm booked into my local dealership at the end of the month but they've already suggested its many hours of labour to disassemble from the inside. This could turn out to be the most expensive carrier bag ever.

Such as stupidly annoying issue to have......
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Personally I would try to "unjam" it in any possible way. I mean, it was jammed while gracefully closing the trunk so it must come out somehow.

I suspect the locking mechanism isn't really unlocking the trunk or there's no way of that bag holding the trunk weld together. Maybe try opposite force? i.e press the trunk down while tapping unlock hoping whatever tension the spring is getting gets lowered enough for it to really "unlock"

Good luck.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I would get as close to the latch as possible from inside then carefully cut the handle of the bag on one side of the latch and try to pull it out from the other side.
OTOH I haven’t looked how close you can get…

OP
OP

strickers666

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Personally I would try to "unjam" it in any possible way. I mean, it was jammed while gracefully closing the trunk so it must come out somehow.

I suspect the locking mechanism isn't really unlocking the trunk or there's no way of that bag holding the trunk weld together. Maybe try opposite force? i.e press the trunk down while tapping unlock hoping whatever tension the spring is getting gets lowered enough for it to really "unlock"

Good luck.
Thanks and I agree as I feel there's a £1.5-2k bill coming otherwise! I need 3 people one to push the button, one to push/pull the boot lid and one to pull/waggle the handle. Will round up volunteers.

OP
OP

strickers666

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would get as close to the latch as possible from inside then carefully cut the handle of the bag on one side of the latch and try to pull it out from the other side.
OTOH I haven’t looked how close you can get…
There's a lot of plastic in the way but yes will do that, also considering cutting the handle lengthways to see if it will rip and at least reduce the amount of fabric in there. Then its on to WD40, drain unblocker, basically anything that might weaken or thin it.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't use solvents or anything like that since it would affect the plastics and God knows what else.

It's the locking latch that's under tension and not releasing. 95% sure

I remember long time ago it was mandatory to have some easy way of unlocking the trunk from the inside in case a person would get trapped in the trunk? Am I imagining this? If yes, there should be a way of unlocking it manually. I do remember both my MBs having a metal guide rod like bicycle brakes have and if you pulled on it, it would unlock the trunk regardless of the lock state

OP
OP

strickers666

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Fixed !

After tearing the handle in half lengthways a portion was freed then a good soaking of WD40 and then finally a very agricultural push up from inside and pull up from under the lip from outside whilst pressing unlock it opened. Didn't sound great when it did release but appears to be working fine after a few tests.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Edit: just seen you fixed it

From the US manual, haven’t got my car yet so can’t confirm
IMG_1857.jpeg
Presumably that requires power to be available- I've not come across any taycan-specific instructions of how to release the latch mechanically in case of the electronic mechanism failing, hopefully there's a trim panel that can be removed to grant access to the cable or directly to the latch.

exav8tor

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Country flag
I had an issue with mine where the boot/trunk stopped opening. Took it to dealer and it turned out to be a faulty wire. On querying with them about an emergency mechanical release, it turns out there isn’t one directly accessible. I believe they had to drill into the plastic covering the latch mechanism to open it.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Edit: just seen you fixed it

From the US manual, haven’t got my car yet so can’t confirm
IMG_1857.jpeg
This seems to be a U.S.-centric thing whereby cars have to have a way to open the boot from inside the car by law. I don't think such a regulation applies for European spec cars.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This seems to be a U.S.-centric thing whereby cars have to have a way to open the boot from inside the car by law. I don't think such a regulation applies for European spec cars.
Yeah, we don't tend to stuck innocent people into trunks over here. At least not live ones... 😅