Help with finding ‘base’ black photos

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
Hello,

I have been scouring the web all day and just can’t find photos of the solid black, in most threads it seems everyone has jet black metallic.

There is a base black Macan parked in my road and I think it looks amazing, but my dealer advised black is not a good idea as it shows up every minor scratch etc, and to go for jet black.

But I have a feeling solid black will look better - so really want to see some pics to compare.

So if you have a solid black, not jet black, Taycan please can you share your photos.

many thanks.
Sponsored

HeTakesThatFivePercent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
Hello,

I have been scouring the web all day and just can’t find photos of the solid black, in most threads it seems everyone has jet black metallic.

There is a base black Macan parked in my road and I think it looks amazing, but my dealer advised black is not a good idea as it shows up every minor scratch etc, and to go for jet black.

But I have a feeling solid black will look better - so really want to see some pics to compare.

So if you have a solid black, not jet black, Taycan please can you share your photos.

many thanks.
I will (should!) have my non-metallic black Taycan within 7-10 days, if you can wait that long. ?

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but this is my non-metallic black Macan. I have had it for 7 years and nearly 120,000 miles. Yes, it's true that the standard black is more susceptible to scratches. But the Macan never received any kind of PPF or ceramic finish, and spent years going through automatic car washes. For all the abuse, I think it still looks great.

If you protect your car, and take care of your car, scratches should not be an issue.

Most people do go with the metallic black, but I prefer the non-metallic, as it's more of a "true" black -- especially in direct sunlight. When clean, it has the perfect glossy finish. Just know that it will take more maintenance than a metallic color.

Porsche Taycan Help with finding ‘base’ black photos IMG_3199.JPG

Porsche Taycan Help with finding ‘base’ black photos Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 7.16.46 PM

Porsche Taycan Help with finding ‘base’ black photos Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 7.16.56 PM

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello,

many thanks.
I would caution against Jet Black Metallic also - I've had it on a Macan Turbo and Cayenne S and vowd not to select again. Every mark was visible plus in the sunlight it did not look that black - compared to solid black. Swirl marks etc where a pain too.

Black as a colour is 'soft' hence it can mark quicker / easier.

Only solution would be to pick the black you actually want and then PPF the front (or select that option at build time) to preserve for as long as possible.

I've seen a solid black Taycan Turbo S and it did rather suit it.

If resale is a concern then factor this in too - people always go for a metallic over a flat colour (apparently).

This example is listed as 'black' - looks non-metallic to me:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2022&page=2

OP
OP
Taycan2020

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will (should!) have my non-metallic black Taycan within 7-10 days, if you can wait that long. ?

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but this is my non-metallic black Macan. I have had it for 7 years and nearly 120,000 miles. Yes, it's true that the standard black is more susceptible to scratches. But the Macan never received any kind of PPF or ceramic finish, and spent years going through automatic car washes. For all the abuse, I think it still looks great.

If you protect your car, and take care of your car, scratches should not be an issue.

Most people do go with the metallic black, but I prefer the non-metallic, as it's more of a "true" black -- especially in direct sunlight. When clean, it has the perfect glossy finish. Just know that it will take more maintenance than a metallic color.
Congrats on your new car, I will definitely look forward to seeing your pics.

Your Macan looks good, I am pleased to hear it held up well for so long especially with the auto car washes - that sort of thing is what I had heard would ruin the car.

I don't care so much about car condition, my car spends Sunday to Thursday parked on-street in the middle of London, so you can't be too precious as it is probably going to get a bump sooner or later! But I just don't want the overall condition to look poor after a year or whatever. I don't mind getting damage repaired, it's just the overall look and condition.

I really like what I have seen of solid black, I think it looks a bit more modern and sporty, so very well suited to the Taycan.

OP
OP
Taycan2020

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would caution against Jet Black Metallic also - I've had it on a Macan Turbo and Cayenne S and vowd not to select again. Every mark was visible plus in the sunlight it did not look that black - compared to solid black. Swirl marks etc where a pain too.

Only solution would be to pick the black you actually want and then PPF the front (or select that option at build time) to preserve for as long as possible.

If resale is a concern then factor this in too - people always go for a metallic over a flat colour (apparently).

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108035774343?postcode=eh39bs&sort=relevance&radius=1500&include-delivery-option=on&model=Taycan&colour=Black&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-from=500&make=Porsche&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2022&page=2
Oh so you had a bad experience even with the metallic black? My dealer advised to avoid solid black, and get metallic as he said that would be OK. As mentioned above I am not too precious about cars, at least the exterior, but I enjoy it looking mostly good and fresh.

Resale doesn't matter as it will be a lease with my company (4 years I think).

Thanks for the link, that does look very good. And good indication of how the paint reacts to overcast weather (useful to know!).

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
I only know YT videos of a german youtuber who owns a solid black taycan rwd. Maybe this helps.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Oh so you had a bad experience even with the metallic black? My dealer advised to avoid solid black, and get metallic as he said that would be OK. As mentioned above I am not too precious about cars, at least the exterior, but I enjoy it looking mostly good and fresh.

Resale doesn't matter as it will be a lease with my company (4 years I think).

Thanks for the link, that does look very good. And good indication of how the paint reacts to overcast weather (useful to know!).
Black of any description is high maintenance and Jet Black Metallic is better than a solid finish in terms of resilience but not by much.

I never use a car wash for my cars and so didn't get problems from that. If you're not overly fussed then go with the colour you actually want and as you're leasing general wear and tear is acceptable.

You can get the car protected with GTECHNIQ Platinum (ceramic coating and protection for the interior). It costs around £550 and can be arranged via your Porsche Dealer. This may be worth it to keep the lustre there for as long as possible. I've had it done to my car and I've never yet used polish in 13 months - it is a cost effective and perfect solution all round.

Don't forget your dealer makes more money on upselling (not that I'm a cynic) and is more interested about resale

Jonmar

First Name
Maryann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayman, 2022 Taycan on order!
Country flag
Hello,

many thanks.
I ordered it in solid black but not coming until mid March. I traded in my solid black Cayman. It had it ceramic coated and it was amazing. I thought the metallic showed everything but also didn’t look real pure black and I was glad I did the solid black on my Cayman. Happy enough that I did it again!

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2022&page=2
Thanks W1NGE! Going for solid black!

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I ordered it in solid black but not coming until mid March. I traded in my solid black Cayman. It had it ceramic coated and it was amazing. I thought the metallic showed everything but also didn’t look real pure black and I was glad I did the solid black on my Cayman. Happy enough that I did it again!
Thanks!! I am going with solid, pure black!!!

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I prefer the Jet Black Metallic and it was only $800 additional. Definitively pops in the sun and I have had it on other cars too (lights were on in the pic, but my sidemarker is clear :)).
Porsche Taycan Help with finding ‘base’ black photos TaycanPorsche

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108035774343?postcode=eh39bs&sort=relevance&radius=1500&include-delivery-option=on&model=Taycan&colour=Black&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-from=500&make=Porsche&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2022&page=2
Yeah this is counter to everything I've always read and observed of black colors.
I owned a "black" 996, and 2 metallic black Porsches, a Basalt black 991 and now a Jet Black Taycan.

The black 996 paint was awful- showed everything, got dirty very quickly, etc. It was just a bunch of spider webs and swirl marks. The Basalt was gorgeous- hid smudges well, didn't show marks and swirls, etc. My experience was besides metallic being prettier and looking different in different lights, the flake hides stuff well.
Just my $0.02.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a base black 4S and it was the biggest nightmare ever. Even just the wind blowing created scratches… worst decision of my life. I have it fully wrapped now. Without the wrap I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the car at all…

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
JBM will show marks more than flat black, not less. But both are difficult to keep looking perfect. That’s why the old saying about black not being a color, but rather an obsession, is so true.
I ppf'd the entire car- so my JBM car looks great... if going the JBM route- use PPF.. :)

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Hello,

many thanks.
Porsche Taycan Help with finding ‘base’ black photos 7AB84548-292A-45E1-AB4B-C1A4B3943AC4
Sponsored