samit.soni

First Name
Samit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi all, I have encountered a big problem with the programming on my Homelink user interface on my Taycan. The Homelink on my car occasionally seems to send a open/close signal repeatedly, causing the garage door or driveway gate to open, pause, then close on my car! Sometimes this happens nonstop for up to 20 minutes. There is no method I have found to even deactivate the signal when this occurs, so I cannot even drive my car through my driveway gate in these situations as the gate might close on me, like it did once already. The Homelink was programmed by the Taycan expert at the dealership. Also, it has happened with multiple gate and garage door configurations, even on a different Taycan at the dealership. It is a huge liability for Porsche and Homelink if someone happens to be severely injured as a result.
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Hi all, I have encountered a big problem with the programming on my Homelink user interface on my Taycan. The Homelink on my car occasionally seems to send a open/close signal repeatedly, causing the garage door or driveway gate to open, pause, then close on my car! Sometimes this happens nonstop for up to 20 minutes. There is no method I have found to even deactivate the signal when this occurs, so I cannot even drive my car through my driveway gate in these situations as the gate might close on me, like it did once already. The Homelink was programmed by the Taycan expert at the dealership. Also, it has happened with multiple gate and garage door configurations, even on a different Taycan at the dealership. It is a huge liability for Porsche and Homelink if someone happens to be severely injured as a result.
Yikes!

Never heard of this before... (Homelink has some GUI user interface issues but I've never seen or heard of any "functional" issue like this...)

You don't need an "expert" to configure Homelink at all. Just follow the instructions in the user manual. I believe that's what most folks do...

Porsche keeps pointing us towards the "Taycan Experts" at their dealerships. However, it continues to be the case that they are not experts at all - just some poor clueless guy/gal who gets assigned all the Taycan issues that come in.

Dump the "expert". Clear your entire Homlink config, start over, and do it yourself. If that doesn't work, then I might consider it to be a hardware problem.

$0.02

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you enabled location/gps based homelink? When you set up it up it ask you if you want to remember the location and the system is supposed to bring up the homelink menu when you are at that location. Maybe that is causing the issue.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you enabled location/gps based homelink? When you set up it up it ask you if you want to remember the location and the system is supposed to bring up the homelink menu when you are at that location. Maybe that is causing the issue.
FYI: I enabled "GPS location" in my Homelink settings and it doesn't do a fookin' thing. (I understand its supposed to automatically bring up the Homelink menu when you get near your garage... NOT actually open the door).

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FYI: I enabled "GPS location" in my Homelink settings and it doesn't do a fookin' thing. (I understand its supposed to automatically bring up the Homelink menu when you get near your garage... NOT actually open the door).
That is my understanding of how this feature work and yes it does not even work as intended for you and me and others. But if it is enabled for the OP, then I would try with it disabled to rule it out. You never know with this software..

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021, Tesla Model S P100D 2019
Country flag
It might be help to re-program the Homelink signal. Remove the current configuration and create it again, make sure to have fresh a fresh battery in the remote you use the program with.
And make sure to only press the remote button once while programming.

The location option only brings up the Homelink menu when you come near the location, it doesn't send any signal by itself. Would be nice with an option to have it also send the signal when you come near, and also an option to send it again when you drive away from the location.
This works perfectly in my Tesla Model S.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The location option only brings up the Homelink menu when you come near the location...
Not for me nor for many other folks in this forum.

(I'm guessing this might be because the GPS shows me to be be "offroad" when I am near my garage. My driveway is about 1/4 mile long. ...and yes, the GPS location was recorded right in front of the door)

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021, Tesla Model S P100D 2019
Country flag
Not for me nor for many other folks in this forum.

(I'm guessing this might be because the GPS shows me to be be "offroad" when I am near my garage. My driveway is about 1/4 mile long. ...and yes, the GPS location was recorded right in front of the door)
Weird, perhaps this was fixed for MY2021 then.
To test your offroad theory you could try to set record the position somewhere else and see if the menu comes up there...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Weird, perhaps this was fixed for MY2021 then.
To test your offroad theory you could try to set record the position somewhere else and see if the menu comes up there...
Could be a MY21 fix... We should probably always keep an eye on the MY's since we don't really know all the stuff that might be changed/fixed/etc.

I'ld be curious if ANYONE with a MY20 had this work as designed? I also know other folks were complaining about being "Off Road" when they really weren't. I never really tried to fully diagnose this myself as there were other Homelink issues that were more of a thorn in my side.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Could be a MY21 fix... We should probably always keep an eye on the MY's since we don't really know all the stuff that might be changed/fixed/etc.

I'ld be curious if ANYONE with a MY20 had this work as designed? I also know other folks were complaining about being "Off Road" when they really weren't. I never really tried to fully diagnose this myself as there were other Homelink issues that were more of a thorn in my side.
MY20, my garage (and recorded Homelink location) is off-road. I have only one door programmed so I can assign that door to the instrument cluster button. Has never failed to work.

+1 on the re-program. Press and hold the transmitter. If it fails to learn, or if this results in a repeated code, then re-program but instead of press and hold, press, release, repeat. The reason for this has to do with rolling codes. The car (then the receiver) have to learn the rolling code. If the transmitter misbehaves while its button is held down you could get the repeated code thing. Alternatively if your dealer did the press-release-repeat thing you could have the problem then maybe you need the press and hold thing.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
MY20, my garage (and recorded Homelink location) is off-road. I have only one door programmed so I can assign that door to the instrument cluster button. Has never failed to work.
So, you are saying your Homelink Menu automatically pops up at your "Off Road" GPS location? (So much for my theory...)

Then why did you need to assign a UDF Button?

(I applaud the attention to detail in your message!)

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, you are saying your Homelink Menu automatically pops up at your "Off Road" GPS location? (So much for my theory...)

Then why did you need to assign a UDF Button?

(I applaud the attention to detail in your message!)
No the menu doesn't pop up, and that's how I want it to work - for reasons you've mentioned (hidden under back-up camera, etc.). Even if it did pop up, you would still need to press the screen to actually transmit the signal.

It could be that it doesn't pop up because I have only one code programmed. Maybe it only pops up a menu if you have two or more codes programmed to a given location, and I think that's the real problem here - e.g. you need one for a gate and one for a garage door. The UI design failed to consider the scenario where coming or going involves needing both codes while backing up.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No the menu doesn't pop up, and that's how I want it to work - for reasons you've mentioned (hidden under back-up camera, etc.). Even if it did pop up, you would still need to press the screen to actually transmit the signal.

It could be that it doesn't pop up because I have only one code programmed. Maybe it only pops up a menu if you have two or more codes programmed to a given location, and I think that's the real problem here - e.g. you need one for a gate and one for a garage door. The UI design failed to consider the scenario where coming or going involves needing both codes while backing up.
So maybe my theory stands?

I've NEVER had the homelink menu pop up. Neither when I had THREE buttons or now that I had to (needlessly) delete TWO of them so I could close my garage door without messing with the backup camera.

IOW: I used to have THREE buttons defined and now I only have ONE. ...and its NEVER popped up for me.

I think I'll keep the "Off Road" theory until someone disproves it...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with other folks that the position feature of homelink and just does not work on MY2020 yet at least.
I did also try saving the position while on the road and it still said Off Road. And I have never seen the homelink menu automatically pop up. Also I was able to recreate the sticky repeating of codes problem without a position associated also.

I did remove my profiles for my two garage doors at main house and reprogrammed them attempting the technique of not holding the remote button but pulsing it. I could get that to work for garage number one but not for garage number two which would not be recognized unless I held the button. I was still able to see the repeating of the sending even with the pulsed code so I do not think that's really a fix. The repeating code never caused a problem for my rolling code garage doors which seem to ignore a continuous signal. Trying to stop the repeat while near the garage is problematic as it can often end up causing the garage to change direction so I end up having to wait until I have driven sufficiently far away and then attempt to get it to stop. I do hope there is a fix for this coming.

Possible Workaround
That being said I did seem to stumble across and a parent solution that does not cause the repeating code problem. Pressing the Homelink button for one second not much longer and not shorter ends up only sending the code once. I tested it 15 times on different garages as well as my gate signal at cabin which is where it is really a problem in that the repeating signal causes the gate to halfway open then suddenly stop or change direction.

I will report when I do more testing.

P.S. I am thankful for Homelink as I would need four remotes or a Chinese knockoff multi-remote, which I can give a link for as I use that in my Chevy Bolt EV. ?

Last edited:

bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
I have the same problem. I connected an oscilloscope to the gate receiver and pressed the Taycan 'button." The screenshot proves that there are two pulses being sent within one second! Some gates (like mine) respond to the second pulse and stop moving. Others don't seem to mind.

BTW, I tried holding the finger for one second suggestion - same result. Also tried the 'two finger' suggestion - same result. I have sent this on to Porsche, but I ain't holding my breath for any reply.

Porsche Taycan HomeLink programming problem - repeated signals 20210202_142332s
Sponsored