Hotel in the Lake District - recommendation?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Good point.

I would definitely not recommend Hardknott / Wrynose pass in a Taycan.

It was always challenging enough in much smaller, lighter cars (but fun!).
It would be a nightmare in a Taycan though.

5005824607_1b4e9c597f_b.jpg
I was brought up near Preston. We used to go up to Hardknott and Wrynose fairly often in the late 1960s. Best car was a Lotus Elan which weighed less than a Taycan battery!

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I was brought up near Preston. We used to go up to Hardknott and Wrynose fairly often in the late 1960s. Best car was a Lotus Elan which weighed less than a Taycan battery!
We live in the trough of Bowland its a great drive from Waddington to Lancaster via the trough fantastic scenery

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
We live in the trough of Bowland its a great drive from Waddington to Lancaster via the trough fantastic scenery
Yes very beautiful.
We used toi go on field trips to the Trough of Bowland from school, it is as beautiful as the Lakes but less crowded because, I suppose, no lakes!

You are lucky, I miss living up there but 3 of my children and their families live within walking distance of my house, so we aren’t moving!

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
I’ve stayed at Linthwaite House, it’s great, but Gilpin looks nice also and is a Porsche Destination Charging site.

Ernestostvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm also traveling there for business, but I will have a couple of days off. So, I'm open to any hotel recommendations and some sweet spots.

RumarLos

First Name
Rumar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Your travel plan is totally speaking to the adventurer in me. Breaking up the Glasgow trip with a detour to the picturesque Lake District? Sign me up! There's something magical about those scenic spots that just recharge the soul.Smart move to think about charging options at the hotel. Can't let our gadgets go flat when there's exploring to be done, right?Oh, and speaking of exploring, I'm all about it. I love discovering new places and soaking in different cultures. If you ever find yourself in Memphis, I've got the scoop on the best area to stay in Memphis. It's all about getting that authentic local experience.

Last edited:

pdavison

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Velar, Harley Davidson Sportster
Country flag
Another vote for the Gilpin, the food is exceptional (not stayed there yet)

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We do the trip from Scotland down to the midlands a lot and try to break the journey. I've got cheesed off with driving to Kendal or Windermere in the summer (too busy) so have found two really nice pubs in Ravenstonedale - 10 mins east of the Tebay junction, on the road to Kirkby Stephen.
The first, the Black Swan is a gastro-pub with 20 odd room. Some are odd? Great food, but no michelin star (but in the top 20 gastro pubs in uk last year). They let me charge my old Tesla but via a 13A extension lead. I think I got 7A max. It put 10% in. Lovely pub though with good beer. The only negative is that the kitchen is closed on a Tuesday and Wednesday - so steer clear those days.
The second, the Kings Head is a more traditional old pub next to the river with 6 rooms. Cheaper than the Swan with typical pub grub and a great range of beers - and the odd red squirrel. No car charging though.
Both pubs are certainly worth a try if you like old pubs.
Sponsored