How-to: Disconnect 12v battery

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Always use at least TWO 10mm sockets as they usually don't hit the floor when you drop them into your Taycan.
I'm sure everyone knows that but just a heads-up.
Sponsored

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks to W1NGE for posting this.
It has sorted out my app issues and all seems to be working fine now.

The only thing I would say is that removing the negative terminal was a bit more difficult than I hoped.

The plastic casing above it didn't quite leave enough room to pull the terminal upwards without it snagging it (by a mm or 2).
In the end I approached it from the front of the car and pushed the plastic casing inwards with my thumb, whilst easing the connection off with my other hand.
Do you have a picture of the negative terminal?

I had removed the plastic cover under the bonnet.

What I could locate/ see is the brown cable terminal (i.e. the positive terminal).
Do you have a picture of the negative (Black) terminal?
Thanks...

(The pictures above are most likely from a US LHD car...)

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had to do this today as second remote option didn’t work for me and our other Taycan had LTE. I’ll be honest I wasn’t looking forward to doing this as I’m not very good with this kind of thing especially on an electric car.

I decided I would do it and followed the instructions (which are superb!) and voila LTE is back. Thank you to @caslca for the in depth step by step instructions

What I could locate/ see is the brown cable terminal (i.e. the positive terminal).
Thanks...

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
Had to do this today as second remote option didn’t work for me and our other Taycan had LTE. I’ll be honest I wasn’t looking forward to doing this as I’m not very good with this kind of thing especially on an electric car.

I decided I would do it and followed the instructions (which are superb!) and voila LTE is back. Thank you to @caslca for the in depth step by step instructions
The picture in the start of this thread - with a red circle and an arrow pointing to it shows the negative terminal. At first glance it does not look like a normal ICE lead acid negative terminal, but once I looked closely the picture does a great job of identifying it … no5 sure if a car in blighty might have different set up tho with RHD.

user959595

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne E3.2 e-hybrid, Porsche 911
Country flag
Hi casica,
many thanks for the detailed in depth instructions!! So far, the LTE was not coming back. Therefore 2 questions where you probably already know the answer:
- you are stating that according to your manual the backup battery of the ConBox High will last for around 1 hour. Just for curiosity: in which manual is that stated?
- it is always said here around that the backup battery of the ConBox is charged only when ignition is on. Can you see in your manual maybe which fuse(s) are used for the ConBox and/or the battery and what other things are on it,e.g. if they are fundamentally needed for a while?
background: the Porsche dealer wants to have the car for every ConBox reset for 2 days and has to do a huge disassembly of the car due to the location of the box (justified with that a thief should not be quickly and easily able to just throw it out of the window). We would like to avoid this, but according to Porsche we have to wait with the 12V reconnection until the backup battery is empty.
If we can just kill the charging that would be the easiest way maybe...
MANY THANKS!!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag

Thanks...

I found it impossible to disconnect terminal on mine (UK car). Trapped under some plastic lip. The only way i could see to do it was going to break something.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi casica,
many thanks for the detailed in depth instructions!! So far, the LTE was not coming back. Therefore 2 questions where you probably already know the answer:
- you are stating that according to your manual the backup battery of the ConBox High will last for around 1 hour. Just for curiosity: in which manual is that stated?
- it is always said here around that the backup battery of the ConBox is charged only when ignition is on. Can you see in your manual maybe which fuse(s) are used for the ConBox and/or the battery and what other things are on it,e.g. if they are fundamentally needed for a while?
background: the Porsche dealer wants to have the car for every ConBox reset for 2 days and has to do a huge disassembly of the car due to the location of the box (justified with that a thief should not be quickly and easily able to just throw it out of the window). We would like to avoid this, but according to Porsche we have to wait with the 12V reconnection until the backup battery is empty.
If we can just kill the charging that would be the easiest way maybe...
MANY THANKS!!
I can't answer your questions about ConBox High battery. But if the problem you have is no LTE/datacomm in your Taycan, here is a link to a post with links to information and options for restoring LTE service:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ssues-using-my-porsche-app.17709/#post-272507
The options have links to forum posts with details. Dealer resetting ConBox High is only one of the options available for restoring LTE.
Sponsored