How to route a 12v power cable from the cabin to the frunk?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Have any DIYers routed a cable from the cabin to the frunk through the "firewall" using an existing hole? If so, please describe your approach. I want to avoid drilling any new holes if possible. It's disappointing that Porsche has not included a 12-volt socket in the frunk.
Sponsored

t_w

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
What are you planning to power up there with it?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are you planning to power up there with it?
My 2022 CT 4 is not optioned with a front camera. I am finding this to be inconvenient when parking in front of EA chargers since the CCS cables are barely long enough to reach charging port on the Taycan. I purchased a 5 Ghz WiFi camera to mount on the front "grille" cover that displays on my iPhone. Since this is front facing and I will have time to open the app on the iPhone, I can tolerate less than immediate display of the picture. I don't think an iPhone solution would be as convenient for a rear facing camera.

I could power the camera from an ACC circuit and have it always on, but I am planning to only switch the camera on when needed. I need to run a power cord from the fuse block to the camera housing which also incorporates the WiFi electronics. I am considering using an external garage door opener receiver to control the power to the camera using the Homelink "switches" on the dashboard.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
There is a big 12v battery right behind the frunk! Pop the plastic cowl off and you’ll see it on the passenger side.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
If it like my boxster, it is easier to find the fire wall grommet from the frunk side once you get some of the plastic off around the battery.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not hard at all. Can't you just tap into power at the battery or fuse panel? Much easier task.
Connecting directly to the battery does not really appeal to me. I did remove the cover from the fuse block to study it. The cover design does not allow room for an add-a-circuit fuse tap. There are a few open slots that appear to have a hot lead, but I don't know if they are ACC circuits. There is not much room for a wire to exit from the frunk fuse box. If you do remove the three small screws holding the cover in place, use a magnetic Torx bit to minimize the chance of dropping the screws.

I am currently exploring another option. Since I am trying to power a front facing camera at low driving speeds, I am considering hooking up the power leads to the pedestrian e-sound system. Ideally, I would find some matching connectors to build a patch cable that could be easily installed and removed without modifying an existing wiring harness. Hopefully an additional 200mA load on the circuit will not trigger an error message.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
connecting to the battery with an inline fuse on the positive end is the same as going through the fuse panel. I would look at that route and as long as you fuse to the right size its safe.
Sponsored