Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long)

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
@Eric might have meant that the sidewall of the tire has a lip/protrusion which extends in the vertical plane beyond the edge of the rim, thus protecting it from scrapes. That may be manufacturer-specific, and is not related to the standard dimensions of the tire. (Even the contact patch is not the same for tires with identical dimensions.)
This is called the rim protector and not brand specific (most likely tire model specific within a brand and more common on sports car fitments, summer and/or lower profile tires for example)

He used the term "low profile" which is pretty specific to the aspect ratio which has nothing to do with contact patch or brand.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
This is called the rim protector and not brand specific (most likely tire model specific within a brand and more common on sports car fitments, summer and/or lower profile tires for example)

He used the term "low profile" which is pretty specific to the aspect ratio which has nothing to do with contact patch or brand.
I don't think I was saying anything differently, but let me take this opportunity to be pedantic: the 'profile' (as an alias for aspect ratio) absolutely has a lot to do with the size and shape of contact patch. Not only that, but identically-sized tires may have different effective contact patches (a "squarer" tire with blocky tread won't project the same contact as a rounded slick).

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Eric said his Michelin tires are not low profile tires unlike Pirellis.

Tire width combined with wheel size make one tire low profile vs another when staying with the exact same rolling radius.

275/35/20 is not "low profile" but 275/30/21 is. Both have the same rolling radius (within 0.4% anyways) but one has a 3.8" sidewall and the other a 3.2" and has NOTHING to do with brand.

It does not matter if it has a rim protector nor if the tire is more square or more round or stretched on the rim. The "profile" or "aspect ratio" is determined by a percentage of the width on every tire across every brand.

I know how tire sizes work and you know how tires sizes work. Not sure if its the language barrier or text vs an in person discussion or a German thing but debating the contact patch vs square or round or stretched tires on a rim is getting really far off topic from my original point about brand vs low profile.

DanK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan Turbo, 21 4R, 15 P90DL, 10 Exige 260
Country flag
I'd pedantically argue that a 35 is still low profile, just less low profile than a 30. But yes, the extra ~14mm does make a difference.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd pedantically argue that a 35 is still low profile, just less low profile than a 30. But yes, the extra ~14mm does make a difference.
You are turning this into something subjective but I believe Eric was comparing his 20" tires to 21" tires when he chose to compare brands (Michelin vs Pirelli)

I cited those specific 275 20/21 tire sizes on purpose as I have both of those tires in my garage for my BMW M8 Convertible.

The 21" tires look "low profile" and aggressive vs the stock 20" tires that look like old man tires. It completely changes the look of the car and when you put the two side by side in real life there is nothing "low profile" about the 20" version of the same tire.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
By personal experience, different tyre brands/model often look different albeit same specs ie width/height. I've had Bridgestone "looking" square while continental in the same size "looked" stretched. Could be an optical effect or not, I dont know but they definitely didn't look the same.

Maybe it was the extra beefy "lip" the Bridgestone had. Don't know.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Again no one here was talking about square vs round.

It was Michelin vs Pirelli and one being low profile and the other not. Not sure why people want to jump into this square vs round thing so bad.

The same "square" tire will look "round" when mounted on a WIDER wheel rim (ie stretched on an 11.5" vs a 10" wide wheel).

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Would these be similar for the 21" wheels? Would you mind sharing the type of Michelin tyres that you have on your car?

Michelin pilot sport 4 front 20 inch 245/45-20 back 285/40-20

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
@Eric might have meant that the sidewall of the tire has a lip/protrusion which extends in the vertical plane beyond the edge of the rim, thus protecting it from scrapes. That may be manufacturer-specific, and is not related to the standard dimensions of the tire. (Even the contact patch is not the same for tires with identical dimensions.)

FWIW my 20" Contis do have the same feature, as do, I suspect, most of the tires in production today.
The Pirelli Pzeros I had on my first set definitely could cause curb rub whereas the Michelin pilot sport 4 are riding a bit higher hence less curb rub risk on the the rim of the wheels Front size of the Michelins 245/45-20 rear 285/40-20
Sponsored