Inadvertent long-term storage; Pre-Condition Taycan Climate to Juice 12V?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Hi guys,

So, currently in China's zero-covid zone. The car's in the basement parking area and can't get to it, expecting another two weeks, so that's a full month of not driving. Stupidly, unknowingly, I checked the App several times a day just to see how the car is doing given we just drove it off the lot less than 3 weeks ago. Won't be doing this anymore given the infamous 12V discharge/death risks.

I read on another thread that remotely triggering the Taycan climate and letting it run for 30 minutes will simultaneously charge the 12V, decreasing the likelihood of 12V issues after a longer period of non-use.

Note, the car is not plugged in and has about 58% in the 800V battery currently

I am thinking about triggering the climate control once a week until this zero-covid house arrest ends.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you all.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I wouldn't panic 1 month is long in terms of lockdown quarantine but for the car (any car) not. 12v battery should be just fine - only drain will be the alarm system typically and so not material over this 'short' period.

For longer periods trickle charge where possible from the mains EVSE.

To charge from the 800v battery then I think you must power on the car to establish operational readiness.

Porsche Taycan Inadvertent long-term storage;  Pre-Condition Taycan Climate to Juice 12V? Screenshot_20220416-082330_Porsche Good to know

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I think triggering remote climate is a pretty good idea. Sure, you waste some power, but it does make the high voltage battery kick in.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Thanks for the help and pointers!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Wow, are your rules so strict – you can't go down to your basement car park? We had a pretty strict lockdown in Ireland in 2020 – but it was a "within 2km" limit of your home – and heavily policed.

Either way – good luck – its not an easy thing to do.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Wow, are your rules so strict – you can't go down to your basement car park? We had a pretty strict lockdown in Ireland in 2020 – but it was a "within 2km" limit of your home – and heavily policed.

Either way – good luck – its not an easy thing to do.
Literal House Arrest.

There's a guard at the entry of the building and the entire complex monitoring 24/7. No direct access via elevator to the Taycan. Have to walk out of the building to get to the underground parking area.

These guys are just taking orders and don't want to be there as much as the next guy. Sucks to be in that damned hazmat suit all-day.

I have pictures of a completely empty stretch of road in a usually heavily packed area from the start of all this. Feels like straight out of a post-apocalyptic movie sans-zombies.
Sponsored