Is my heater about to die?

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
Trying to avoid yet another topic on the Taycan heater problem WPL8 - Replacing Electric Passenger Compartment Heater, but could not find an answer to my question, namely, when the ambient temperature outside is in low 50 F (10 C) and heating is set to 72 F (22 C), should i feel warm air coming out the vents or not? All my previous cars, at 72 i felt warm air, but not on the 2021 Taycan i recently bought used.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
It is probably already dead. Turn it up to max temperature and see if it blows warm

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The heat going into the cabin is based on comparing the cabin temperature with your setting. There are a few tests. If the car has been sitting at 50F for a while, turning it on and setting the heat to 85F, it should be very warm out of the vents within 5 minutes and not stop being warm. Another way is with the car at 50F, select "precondition" on the lower console display and there should be an error on the main display. Another way is with the car at 50F and charging at home at X kW and Y miles/minute, choose precondition on your phone, and the kW should stay the same, but the miles/minute should drop because most of the kW is going to the heater.

It is odd that the campaign says "the heater coating in the electric passenger compartment heater can become detached." From what I experienced and read, the heater fails completely due to an electrical fault, not some material coming loose. And when that heater fails, you lose cabin heat, cabin defrost, and battery preconditioning for both driving and for charging (on colder days).

If it isn't that cold out in the USA, it is possible there is some residual heat from the heat pump and from the motor(s) that you might think is coming into the cabin. But it won't be hot from the vents like it would with the 10 kW Webasto going first thing.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
The heater doesn't necessarily blow noticeably depending on what settings you have set (diffuse, focused etc).

I generally just leave it to do it's thing and it seems to keep the cabin set nicely.

Whether I'll want to change that in summer, we'll see 🙂

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
for anyone reading the end of this thread, my heater might not be dead and simply susceptible to a software bug.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/tsb-wps9-–-re-programming-thermal-management-control-unit-feb-8-2024.19253/unread

i (just) had it applied by the dealership and hopefully it will resolve my issue.
That's intersting.
I have had my heater replaced and the current one does work.
But it's hit and miss using the temp settings in the car.

It went back to the dealers about it and they said they recalibrated the regulators (or something). Still not right.

I may get it looked at again when it goes in for a battery issue (yellow warning) in May - yes, over 2 months to get a service slot for a Taycan.

Pretty sure this car will be my first and last Porsche at the end of the agreement tbh.
Drives great - but the ownership experience is woeful considering the price.
I've fallen out of love with the car and brand now.
Sponsored