Is Porsche in a World of Hurt With EV Production?

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
BMW quietly removes options and ships vehicles missing all sorts of things. The iX M60 I have on order is missing passenger lumbar/massage and comfort access tailgate. For a month they were shipping iX 50s without air suspensions, drivers assistance or anything but base stereo. BMW has removed options from the brand new 7 Series already (no Autobahn package), the I6 engine on the X5 and X7 cannot get leather, only vinyl, and no DHP, and the list goes on. All car companies are doing extremely poorly with supply chain issues that are ongoing. I agree they need to branch out, and single stream suppliers lead to all sorts of issues (the fire at the battery factory that is the sole supplier of 12v batteries for the Taycan is a perfect example).
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume you are referring to the VW group not Porsche as there are many car companies with more profit than Porsche. What I am saying is there are ways to mitigate the effect supply chain issues have and after over a year they should have a better handle on these issues. A tell tale sign is not being able to deliver cars because you don't have 12V batteries. How much more would their profit be if they could deliver all the cars people are waiting months or more to receive?
Porsche has the second highest profit margin, behind only Ferrari. As regards delivering more cars, yes Porsche should have stopped the Russian invasion of Ukraine…:rolleyes:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Tried not to watch the video since this guy's been posted before, but, definitely sounds like it's a clickbait video. Numbers don't like, but you can always choose the numbers you present and omit in your presentation. Porsche definitely doesn't have a demand issue, definitely it's all on the supply side. You can clearly see it with all the folks waiting for their allocations and cars to be completed.
I guess that is true. For the past year, every time I am at my Porsche dealer, I see 30 cars on display, but 0 Taycans in the showroom. But I see more and more on the road. In my small condo place there are 4 now.

VW ID.3 ID.4 ID.6 X ID.5 Crozz, etc are in the showrooms and are available within one week! I checked with Audi, they had the new Q4 (MEB platform) they can deliver in 2 weeks. In Germany waiting time is 2 years!

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Porsche has the second highest profit margin, behind only Ferrari. As regards delivering more cars, yes Porsche should have stopped the Russian invasion of Ukraine…:rolleyes:
Profit margin doesn't help when you are unable to deliver cars. I'm not sure why you keep referring to the war in Ukraine. Porsche doesn't get all their parts from there and as I said before they have had over a year to remedy the situation.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Profit margin doesn't help when you are unable to deliver cars. I'm not sure why you keep referring to the war in Ukraine. Porsche doesn't get all their parts from there and as I said before they have had over a year to remedy the situation.
The Taycan factory capacity as announced in 2019 was up to 40K units. They delivered 25K cars Q1-Q3. Q4 is historically the highest volume for Taycans, especially so give the number of gated deliveries due to the 12V battery shortage only recently resolved. Let's say they only deliver 12K Taycans in the last quarter (similar to last year), that's 36K cars, close to capacity - not a world or hurt as some would cry out. As a reference, originally Porsche predicted 20K-40K Taycan sales per year.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
The Taycan factory capacity as announced in 2019 was up to 40K units. They delivered 25K cars Q1-Q3. Q4 is historically the highest volume for Taycans, especially so give the number of gated deliveries due to the 12V battery shortage only recently resolved. Let's say they only deliver 12K Taycans in the last quarter (similar to last year), that's 36K cars, close to capacity - not a world or hurt as some would cry out. As a reference, originally Porsche predicted 20K-40K Taycan sales per year.
My argument is they are in a "world of hurt"(this is a relative phrase) because they could be doing so much more. Taycan deliveries In 2021 were 41,296 so 36K would be about a 13% drop in deliveries. But it could be so much higher if they were meeting all the demand for Taycans around the world. Porsche has said that EVs are a big part of their future and they have several models in process but based on current history it doesn't reflect well on meeting their full capabilities. They are not meeting demand on the Taycan and Macan EV keeps getting pushed out with reports of software issues. So the "hurt" is that current management, at this time, doesn't seem to have their act together to manage current supply chain and demand issues along with issues associated with the next product in line. Hopefully, that will change going forward.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
They are not meeting demand on the Taycan and Macan EV keeps getting pushed out with reports of software issues. So the "hurt" is that current management, at this time, doesn't seem to have their act together to manage current supply chain and demand issues along with issues associated with the next product in line. Hopefully, that will change going forward.
If the definition of "in a world of hurt" is not being able to meet full demand, well then Tesla has been in a world of hurt for almost a decade right now. They've accumulated 1.5 million long reservations for Cybertruck which was supposed to happen in 2021. Now, let's see if the video guy does a "Tesla in a world of hurt" video. Maybe he could conclude that video with recent "great news" as the demand for Teslas eased lately, and a bunch of Cybertruck reservation holders jumped to F150 Lightening and Rivian. What a relief for Elon, right? Ford and Rivian easing Tesla's world of hurt. Taycan too, easing their Model S demand. :CWL:

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
There is an actual science to these YouTube videos.

- Pose inflammatory hypothesis
- Add shocked/puzzled face graphic, alternatively attractive people
- Profit
Derek - You have to pose like Kevin From Home alone. Apt for this time of year.

This you tuber shouldn’t be left home alone….
Sponsored