Leather Steering wheel cracks

Neuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello,

I have a new Taycan 4s with less than 1000 miles. I noticed these cracks, On the left side of the steering wheel, any thoughts how to treat that area.
Porsche Taycan Leather Steering wheel cracks IMG_1121
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I have similar (bottom of the wheel) and trying to heal it with leather conditioner. I am not sure where it came from, but my car had other damage in transport and then PPF shop. I only noticed when I was doing my first wash and that was too late to hold anyone else accountable for the damage. I am in the process of sourcing steering wheel replacement.

Porsche Taycan Leather Steering wheel cracks 1693417704903

Ciprianbadic

First Name
Ciprian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
Those damages were made by jeans when entering the car not careful enough. I have some too :( looking for a race tex steering wheel now 😁

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Those damages were made by jeans when entering the car not careful enough. I have some too :( looking for a race tex steering wheel now 😁
Heads up: race tex/alcantra steering wheels aren't awesome after a while of daily use. Some can clean up with HI-TECH extra foamy but with heavy use they look crappy. Of course one can just use driving gloves every time they drive. ;)

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I don't agree. I noticed a very slight "abbrasion" on the bottom of my steering wheel assuming that I somehow scratched it. I was surprised since I am VERY careful. Lately, I've been noticing more and more. Some even on the top of the wheel. Very odd.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also found it to be very odd. However, I can totally see how my PPF shop drivers with rough jeans like pants would make this kind of damage. This is clearly a scrape done by external driver whose pants brush off the bottom of the wheel or when you turn it the top. I also found the middle console leather to start showing lines and the dealer said this is totally normal for the Taycan. No such a thing on leather in our 8 year old Macan and 4 year old Cayenne with leather interiors. I have Black/Chalk leather. However, I saw Olea leather on a used Taycan and it was really worn out as in lots of lines everywhere on a relatively new example. I am glad I did not go for that, although I could have if I have chosen a different exterior color.

Ciprianbadic

First Name
Ciprian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
I don't agree. I noticed a very slight "abbrasion" on the bottom of my steering wheel assuming that I somehow scratched it. I was surprised since I am VERY careful. Lately, I've been noticing more and more. Some even on the top of the wheel. Very odd.
I can assure you that those cracks are made mechanically, not a material failure. My dad’s Cayenne have the same, he doesn’t pay attention and scratches with jeans or trainers’s pocket zipper.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can assure you that those cracks are made mechanically, not a material failure. My dad’s Cayenne have the same, he doesn’t pay attention and scratches with jeans or trainers’s pocket zipper.
Totally agree. The best thing I could think of is to try to heal it with a leather conditioner and it makes it better. Also, I plan to raise the steering wheel if someone else in service or PPF shop has to drive it.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I stand corrected. I found myself lightly brushing the wheel upon entry at times. Now I need to figure out how to repair. Conditioner and elbow grease made it better but not perfect. :mad:

Ciprianbadic

First Name
Ciprian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
I stand corrected. I found myself lightly brushing the wheel upon entry at times. Now I need to figure out how to repair. Conditioner and elbow grease made it better but not perfect. :mad:
No need to repair now, wait until leather becomes very shinny and replace it. (I’m waiting until 100k KM)
Sponsored