Listening to music in a Taycan - formats and sources!

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
Hey Frank, if you’ve got some ALAC format files, can you give one a whirl? I’d love to finally be able to abandon ALAC to FLAC conversion that I only ever use in car.
Sponsored

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When I look at the manual it indicates FLAC files are playable but does not mention WAV or AIFF. So my assumption is that they are not playable but it would be nice to know for sure.

Also the manual I’m looking at says that the max is 320 bit/s and 48 kHz sampling rate. It doesn’t mention bit rate so I assume it is limited to 16 bit and that 24 bit files are not supported.

My assumption is that FLAC files will be the theoretical best for sound quality. As I recall from using dBpoweramp for CD ripping there are half a dozen or so different levels of FLAC compression. Can the highest (least compressed) FLAC setting be used for playing FLAC files in the Taycan?

Long story short I have the least compressed FLAC files at 44.1 kHz / 16 bit ripped from CD’s and hopefully they are playable on the Taycan without conversion.

Any info would be appreciated.

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
I think the Samsung mini USB-C drive appears to be the smallest currently available. There is also a Sony drive that’s about the same size, but with much less capacity. Both of these drives protrude so much more that the old USB-A flash drives because it seems that the manufacturers used to embed the actual flash chips inside the USB-A connector‘s orientation tongue.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hey Frank, if you’ve got some ALAC format files, can you give one a whirl? I’d love to finally be able to abandon ALAC to FLAC conversion that I only ever use in car.
I played ALAC (.m4a iirc) files from my USB drive yesterday, no problem.
Most of my music lilies are ALAC

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
As I recall from using dBpoweramp for CD ripping there are half a dozen or so different levels of FLAC compression
I was not aware of any different levels! ALAC is a lossless compression so, unless there are levels requiring more computer power to decode I don’t see any reason for more than one level, unlike the lossy compression formats.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Probably, I’ll check when I get home if you like. Let me know.

I have music on very many file formats having gone from reel-to-reel tape recording to digital recording right at the beginning of amateur digital recording with a StellaDAT and then solid state recorders.
StellaDAT... always wanted one of those... Best I could afford in those those was an Akai 4000DS 🤣

utsteve98

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
If you don’t mind paying for a subscription I would recommend Tidal. They got lots of options at Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) format and Dolby Atmos. The burmester will shine with those formats. The only thing I can’t confirm is whether you lose anything if you use wireless CarPlay or a wire. I’ve read that wireless can do a max of 16 bit versus 24 bit for wired. But I don’t even think your ears will tell the difference at those levels.

I came from a MB with the upgraded 3D burmester and it was fantastic. I have the Bose in my GTS and it’s decent but I do hear the difference for sure. I bought off the lot so didn’t have the option to order it. I think I would have gone with it. But that 7k premium seems a little outrageous.
Sponsored

Last edited: