"Lucid’s Tech Talk Videos: the Best Resources To Learn About EV Drivetrains" - Article

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ever heard the word “inverter” thrown around but you don’t really know what it means? You’re in luck.

Lucid Motors may be experiencing a little financial trouble lately, but the technology that underpins its electric vehicles is some of the best—if not the best—in the industry. Not only is the automaker good at developing electric vehicle drivetrains, but it is also extremely proficient at explaining them. The company has posted tech talks to its YouTube channel hosted by high-level executives, detailing unique features of Lucid vehicles and other general concepts concerning electric motors, inverters, batteries, and more. Its latest video about inverters, also known as motor controllers, is particularly enlightening.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/lucid...-best-resources-to-learn-about-ev-drivetrains
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
An inverter just changes DC to AC. Opposite of a rectifier. Easy peasy.

Winterfell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CT 4S
Country flag
An inverter just changes DC to AC. Opposite of a rectifier. Easy peasy.
In general yes, within an EV, I would say it is bit smarter and played a key role in speed regulation and torque management.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
In general yes, within an EV, I would say it is bit smarter and played a key role in speed regulation and torque management.
I would say the VFD is smarter.
Inverter is a part of the VFD. In large modular drive systems, it’s a separately replaceable component. Sometimes several in parallel for high current applications running off of a single controller.

As an aside, you can’t regulate speed and torque. I don’t know if you meant it that way, but it’s just one or the other. If you’re regulating speed, that’s going to feed into the setpoint for the torque control; It’s not independent. Just like the position control loop feeds into the speed setpoint (think ACC).
Sponsored