"The Middle Of The United States Is An EV Charging Wasteland" - Article

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
261 kW is nice when you’re used to between 30 and 150, but it’s well shy of what the Taycan can accept and what the machine says it can deliver.​

LOL wut? Maybe he has a 2031 Taycan.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been trying to plan a trip from New York to Denver next summer and the "infrequency" of decent chargers along the interstates is concerning. (EA is the most common option, by far, and EA is not dependable; that is scary if the next fast charging option is 75 miles away!)
Some interesting road trip reviews on YouTube. Search Taycan road trip reviews.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
261 kW is nice when you’re used to between 30 and 150, but it’s well shy of what the Taycan can accept and what the machine says it can deliver.​
Dude must be new to the Taycan, failing to understand:
  • 270 is the theoretical max and almost never actually hit
  • Initial SoC matters and greatly affects the charge speed
  • Nobody gets 350kW in any car (yet) even though that's what the station can theoretically provide

cowolter

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
I agree with the author that having stations only every 100 to 150 miles isn't great as it 1) limits your stop choices and 2) doesn't give great backup for when one site is down. When we drive long distance I plan on arriving at each charger with 15% state of charge. If that site is down I'm not going to make it to the next station 125 miles away with only 15% of battery left.

My website

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I agree with the author that having stations only every 100 to 150 miles isn't great as it 1) limits your stop choices and 2) doesn't give great backup for when one site is down. When we drive long distance I plan on arriving at each charger with 15% state of charge. If that site is down I'm not going to make it to the next station 125 miles away with only 15% of battery left.
the paucity of places to charge turns road trips into driving marathons confined to strict routings.
it doesn't allow for much wandering around off of the route when an interesting side trip crops up.
it turns a road trip into a charger to charger run.
Sponsored