Lucid Air

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Obviously still too early as it's not even on the market yet, but pretty promising IMO if they can actually deliver everything that they promised.

Range and efficiency would be their biggest advantage against Taycan (again assuming it can actually drive 500+ miles on a single charge). One might say Taycan's range is more than sufficient though.

It's probably safe to assume Taycan has better driving dynamic, and I'd be very surprised if that turns out not to be the case.

Exterior/interior is more subjective obviously. I think I still like Taycan better, although I do like Lucid better than Tesla Model S.

Wondering other people's thoughts on it. Are you optimistic? Are you more like "I'll believe it when I see it"? Or are you not intrigued by it at all?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I walked around one at Valley Fair in San Jose - styling is subjective, but I really don’t like it for me.

sales people were not well informed.

I think it will be a good car, but nothing I’m going to chase.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The Lucid Air is more of an S-Class / 7-Series / A8 competitor. I know the top model will have some impressive performance numbers, but my guess is that it's just like the Model S, impressive on paper but it won't come close to the driving dynamics of the Taycan. This will be the first high end luxury EV on the market.

I do like it however. I like the look, and some of the functionality is really impressive. Their powertrain is extremely compact and is a potential game changer. However, I'm more interested in their future SUV (Gravity) for my wife.

Just glad to see some more EV's hitting the road. I have a Rivian Launch Edition R1S reserved and hope to pick up later this year to replace our Audi E-tron. Rivian is another EV startup with some serious potential. Again they will be filling another gap in the EV market with an off-road capable truck and 3-row SUV.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
This is implicitly saying Taycan is not necessarily an S-Class / 7-Series / A8 competitor right? Is it more about luxury/comfort or is it just space?
Both.

The Taycan has a high level of fit/finish, materials, and quality, but I don't think it's geared towards luxury and comfort. The interior is more high end sports car, not luxury. It's very comfortable for a sports car, but it's still not as comfortable as an S-Class for example.

Space is another big factor but mostly for the rear seats. I think of those vehicles (Lucid included) as catering to the rear passengers as well as the driver. Especially for countries like China where many people have a driver. The Taycan rear seats are acceptable but not great. Lucid for example is going to offer an executive seating option in the rear with reclining rear seats and significantly more leg room.

I should add that a Panamera is closer in terms of luxury and comfort, but I still think they are more sport focused and still not at the same level as those vehicles.

Lucid Executive Seating

Porsche Taycan Lucid Air Lucid-Air-executive-rear-seats

Last edited:

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Both.

The Taycan has a high level of fit/finish, materials, and quality, but I don't think it's geared towards luxury and comfort. The interior is more high end sports car, not luxury. It's very comfortable for a sports car, but it's still not as comfortable as an S-Class for example.

Space is another big factor but mostly for the rear seats. I think of those vehicles (Lucid included) as catering to the rear passengers as well as the driver. Especially for countries like China where many people have a driver. The Taycan rear seats are acceptable but not great. Lucid for example is going to offer an executive seating option in the rear with reclining rear seats and significantly more leg room.

Lucid-Air-executive-rear-seats.jpg
Thanks for the explanation! Good to know. Didn't think about this perspective at all and just figured both are high-end EV sedans.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Obviously still too early as it's not even on the market yet, but pretty promising IMO if they can actually deliver everything that they promised.

Range and efficiency would be their biggest advantage against Taycan (again assuming it can actually drive 500+ miles on a single charge). One might say Taycan's range is more than sufficient though.

It's probably safe to assume Taycan has better driving dynamic, and I'd be very surprised if that turns out not to be the case.

Exterior/interior is more subjective obviously. I think I still like Taycan better, although I do like Lucid better than Tesla Model S.

Wondering other people's thoughts on it. Are you optimistic? Are you more like "I'll believe it when I see it"? Or are you not intrigued by it at all?
Do I want a Mercedes S class? No. So Lucid current offering doesn’t appeal. I want a sporting vehicle with 4 useable seats. Porsche range is sufficient for 95% of miles I drive without charging. So Taycan range is acceptable and for me rarely an issue.
Lucid looks like a great car but not for me. It’s hard to build a really good car. Time will tell.
I would definitely consider a 2-door Taycan though!
Sponsored