Made a mistake aaaaand now paying for it (mechanical-related)

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So.... Story goes like this.

Back in May my MY20 4S did the whole warning message thing throwing up a variety of messages ranging from AWD failure to other random things. Traced it down to a hypersensitive brake (fluid?) sensor. Porsche could not fit me in for a brake fluid drain and change for 3/4 weeks, so I thought I'd get it down at my local National - big mistake. Everything was fine at first, all the warning messages went away yada yada, yippee.

Fast forward to a week ago, the low brake fluid warning came up on my dash. No way is what I thought, I just had it changed 2 months ago! Had my MOT schedule for last Friday anyway so I thought I'd ask them to check it out.

"...there's a brake fluid leak" said the service person, "and it looks like the brake pipe has been damaged, and a rag has been left underneath it. Very suspicious."

Current quote, £3,100 to replace the brake pipe - apparently most of it is labour as they need to remove the HV battery to replace the pipe which runs above it.

Moral of the story? Don't go to National for a brake fluid change. Just either do it yourself, or go back to Porsche.

Currently exploring all legal avenues to make a claim for this humongous c*ck up by National (now owned by Halfords) - any tips from any UK based owners welcome!
Sponsored

OP
OP
briomir

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don't bring your complicated electric Porsche to Halford's!

Sorry, couldn't help myself – hope you get looked after.
It is a painful lesson to stomach, I know! Whudda thunk they could botch up a brake fluid change though?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think I would approach National and if they didn't play ball, I would immediately spend a couple of hundred quid on a Small Claims Court case.

I think the evidence is compelling and it could also have had safety implications.

I imagine (never done one) that small claims courts work better in cases like this against bigger companies - who have the means to pay / insurance / legal dept as opposed to trying to sue a one man band mechanic who's just can't pay.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

OP
OP
briomir

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I would approach National and if they didn't play ball, I would immediately spend a couple of hundred quid on a Small Claims Court case.

I think the evidence is compelling and it could also have had safety implications.

I imagine (never done one) that small claims courts work better in cases like this against bigger companies - who have the means to pay / insurance / legal dept as opposed to trying to sue a one man band mechanic who's just can't pay.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees
Thanks, yeah I've gone straight to their customer service department, they have been surprisingly helpful so far. Also spoken to my insurance provided legal advice as well but they won't be required until a court gets involved.

Got photos from the dealer of the damage too now so have sent those to National/Halfords, see what they make of it!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks, yeah I've gone straight to their customer service department, they have been surprisingly helpful so far. Also spoken to my insurance provided legal advice as well but they won't be required until a court gets involved.

Got photos from the dealer of the damage too now so have sent those to National/Halfords, see what they make of it!
Well if it went to court and I was the judge with the photos, I know who's side I would be on.

You have to think their customer service will know that too....but they will obviously try and settle it as lightly as possible.

If they were to lowball me, I would be tempted to give them say 7 days to settle fully, and then just go straight to SCC.

* I say all this as someone who has never used SCC - but would be more than willing if the need arises.

Eugene88

First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
OMG, I hope you get at least a refund from them. Anything more would cost more headache for you. Lesson for all of us, wait for Porsche inspection and approved garage. Currently I have a small noise, when 50mph, getting this checked at Porsche as many complained before on different funny noises Taycan makes. Hope it's normal.

OP
OP
briomir

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OMG, I hope you get at least a refund from them. Anything more would cost more headache for you. Lesson for all of us, wait for Porsche inspection and approved garage. Currently I have a small noise, when 50mph, getting this checked at Porsche as many complained before on different funny noises Taycan makes. Hope it's normal.
Thanks, I doubt I'd get anything from them without a fight!

Latest update, the service bloke from the garage called me directly to "settle" meaning, he called to say it wasn't their fault and that the issue was pre-existing when I took it to them... Seems to think that the low brake fluid warning when I took it in was a sign that the leak was already in existence at that point. He seems to make a valid point - apart from the fact I only picked up the car 2 months prior, with a full 111 done by Porsche Aberdeen at that point - I think it'd be hard for them to miss a brake fluid leak?!

If that was the case, there could be a warranty claim on the cards, but that seems infinitely more difficult than against National given it's been worked on already by a third party... This is frustrating!

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
But would have thought by duty of care/safetyetc. that they would/should have detailed a brake fluid leak on your bill if it was found before they started work? Thus by not stating, if theŷ didn’t inform you on pick up, that THEY have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was not their work that caused the fault. Would advise to keep the ball in their court and them to prove it was an existing fault rather than in yours and you having to prove it.

They need to provide evidence that carried out a safety check/assessment before they started any work, to have just topped up fluid a pass the car back to you without any notification puts their safety process into liable contest of which they were the last party to have worked on said fault.

OP
OP
briomir

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But would have thought by duty of care/safetyetc. that they would/should have detailed a brake fluid leak on your bill if it was found before they started work? Thus by not stating, if theŷ didn’t inform you on pick up, that THEY have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was not their work that caused the fault. Would advise to keep the ball in their court and them to prove it was an existing fault rather than in yours and you having to prove it.

They need to provide evidence that carried out a safety check/assessment before they started any work, to have just topped up fluid a pass the car back to you without any notification puts their safety process into liable contest of which they were the last party to have worked on said fault.
Some good points there! Will discuss with the legal adviser about the same, thanks!
Sponsored