Miles remaining in the charge doesn't match actual mileage

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yesterday, I got more miles than the chrage indicated. The meter giveth and the meter taketh away. L0L
It's an estimate. It will adjust over time too, but if you change the weather you drive in, or the types of driving you do, it will be off (up or down). Generally, pre-heating the car uses energy which will make the range less, so short trip will make the range less. Driving in cold weather eats up range too. Driving faster eats range the most (try cruising at 100mph, your mileage will drop like a stone). When I picked up my new Taycan at the dealer it showed well over 200 miles range. On my 3,500 mile trip home from the dealer (in the middle of February driving across USA) the first 1,000-1,500 miles the car was way optimistic (new car, picked up in warm state, drove into winter), but then adjusted to fairly decent. My mileage estimates have been climbing recently while at home up as temperatures have been getting warmer, but short trips still take a lot more from the estimate than the miles driven. This is my 5th EV in a decade of driving EV's, so not at all worried, it is normal. My mileage estimate just went down again, maybe the new wheels (I just swapped winter tires for all-season a week ago), maybe colder weather (temps dropped at night) or maybe I just did a bunch of short trips this past week. All normal EV behavior - if you ever had a mileage estimate for an ICE car, it works very similarly, with the only difference being no lost range when parked on an ICE car, but an EV can lose range, especially if parked somewhere freezing and windy. Also, typically ICE mileage estimators do not account for warming up a car, as ICE engines have heat to spare (as much as 80% of energy from the gasoline goes to waste heat), but on EV, parking in freezing temperatures will eat up some range, both because the battery must keep itself warm while parked, but also because the battery and car needs to heat up when you start driving, and that takes energy (not much waste heat to use for that with EV's).

Whenever I do trips, I watch the estimated SoC at the destination/next charger, if at any time during the trip it drops under 10%, I slow down to help get there. This strategy has worked for me in Teslas, as well as the Taycan. When I end up having to drive slow too much, I charge to higher SoC so that the starting estimated destination SoC is higher, giving me longer before I have to slow down (or ideally not at all).
Sponsored

Reactions: or1