First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (2021)
Country flag
All,

Discovered after much Trial and Error and countless calls with Porsche Australia and JetCharge that the Mobile Charger Connect (MCC) does not like Class A IP Addresses.

My home network was set up as such with IP addresses in the 10.0.x.x Range. When we first set up the MCC whilst we could get it to get an IP address off the home network router, we could not log into the Web App nor could we get it to Sync with the Home Energy Manager (HEM). We tried different Routers, Access Points even considered it might be a harmonic noise issue from the PV Array Inverter mounted nearby.

In the end, it was as simple as changing the home network from using Class A IP addresses to Class C IP addresses (192.168.x.x).

If you ever get stuck trying to get the MCC to talk to your network, make sure your IP Address Range is in the 192.168.x.x range. Did not try Class B addresses (172.x.x.x) as I was over it by the time I finally made it all talk nice.

Hope that helps.

Porsche Taycan Mobile Charger Connect Does Not Like Class A Networks Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.20.59 pm
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm using class B at home and it works fine. Good find!

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Must be 10.0.x.x specifically, my home network is configured to use the 10.x.x.x network (not 10.0.x.x, obviously) and I had no issues - but I never use 0 in any of the octets for anything. In any case, class A IP addresses cover an awful lot of addresses (0.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255, i.e. half of the IPv4 address space) so if that would be an impressively broken IP stack if true.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The terms Class A, B, C, etc haven’t been used in two decades. It’s all CIDR now. 192.168/16, 10/8, etc is all RFC1918 space. Nobody uses what used to be a class A - a /8 netmask at home. A network within 10/8, sure. More likely you’ve stumbled upon address overlap. Porsche is likely using 10.0.x.0/24-32 (whatever x was for you) for connectivity between the car and the MCC. Tesla has similar IP ranges that are reserved for in-car networks as well as VPN back to the mothership. If your home WiFi uses one of these ranges, the car can’t connect.

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The terms Class A, B, C, etc haven’t been used in two decades. It’s all CIDR now. 192.168/16, 10/8, etc is all RFC1918 space. Nobody uses what used to be a class A - a /8 netmask at home. A network within 10/8, sure. More likely you’ve stumbled upon address overlap. Porsche is likely using 10.0.x.0/24-32 (whatever x was for you) for connectivity between the car and the MCC. Tesla has similar IP ranges that are reserved for in-car networks as well as VPN back to the mothership. If your home WiFi uses one of these ranges the car can’t connect.
Thing is, many home routers still present configuration options based on class A/B/C. Those that allow you to pick an arbitrary CIDR address for your home network usually are smart enough to enforce that you pick an address reserved for private networks. Anyway, I'd bet you are spot on that 10.0/16 conflicts with some other network in the PMCC.
Sponsored