First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Adrian,

Don't want hijack Jabbar's thread but I changed my supply cable to 16A on the recommendation of the SA. Can't remember what he said the reason was though? I should have done my own research to be honest as EV charging is a new thing for me.

Is the standard 32A the better option for UK or is there a reason why someone would be recommending switching to 16A?
Always take the 32A cable(s) which will cater for all home charging eventualities on single phase 7.4kW 32A supply (standard for UK homes). Make sure your electrician runs a 32A fused supply from your main board to max this out.

16A anything will reduce this possible flow by 50% and therefore take twice as long to charge.

32A will be backwards compatible.

Dealer should know the basics!
Sponsored

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Thanks everyone. I’m taking off four zone climate control, passenger display, rear side airbags and rear axle power steering plus - and just keep power steering plus as the cheaper option for a start. It helps keep the price closer to £120k.
I would rethink ditching the rear wheel steering!

OP
OP

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks and appreciated. Will speak to dealer about 32a and keep rear wheel axel power steering.
I’m removing passenger display and replacing Innodrive with adapative cruise control. These two changes save £1700.
Still thinking about removing the HUD

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks and appreciated. Will speak to dealer about 32a and keep rear wheel axel power steering.
I’m removing passenger display and replacing Innodrive with adapative cruise control. These two changes save £1700.
Adaptive Cruise is a bit meh in my view. As standard you get two other cruise / speed control systems, do you really need a 3rd? You may use itess than you think and can be problematic due to reliance on accurate mapping and road signage.

OP
OP

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks all. Really appreciate the feedback. I like the ACC and Panoramic roof so intend to keep those. I’m less fussed about passenger display and Innodrive so saves money. Will deffo keep RWS as good for the handling etc.

I’m still thinking about crayon colour. Whether to replace with silver for longevity. I only keep my cars 12-18 months and have a 992 coming in 2024 that will replace the Taycan GTS

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
HUD is a must have for me. It's perfectly placed. Displays the navigation as well. I just like keeping my eyes on the road and my hands upon the wheel.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Thanks all. Really appreciate the feedback. I like the ACC and Panoramic roof so intend to keep those. I’m less fussed about passenger display and Innodrive so saves money. Will deffo keep RWS as good for the handling etc.

I’m still thinking about crayon colour. Whether to replace with silver for longevity. I only keep my cars 12-18 months and have a 992 coming in 2024 that will replace the Taycan GTS
Charged next to a silver on Friday. I was massively underwhelmed especially parked next to carmine red.

OP
OP

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Good to know about silver. I’m also like the grey…like the red when I see taycans in London but not sure I could do it!

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley GT3R, BMWi3s, LR Discovery, Pershing 52
Country flag
Always take the 32A cable(s) which will cater for all home charging eventualities on single phase 7.4kW 32A supply (standard for UK homes). Make sure your electrician runs a 32A fused supply from your main board to max this out.

16A anything will reduce this possible flow by 50% and therefore take twice as long to charge.

32A will be backwards compatible.

Dealer should know the basics!
I think your getting mistaken by the plugs fitted to the charge leads.
Some commercial properties and car parks, in the past, had 16amp commando type sockets fitted to charge cars, quicker than the normal 3 pin 13 amp plug type, never seen a 32 amp commando socket installed for car charging.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think your getting mistaken by the plugs fitted to the charge leads.
Some commercial properties and car parks, in the past, had 16amp commando type sockets fitted to charge cars, quicker than the normal 3 pin 13 amp plug type, never seen a 32 amp commando socket installed for car charging.
I'm not confused. OP will have home charging and therefore can have the flexibility to charge up to the full capacity single phase can deliver at 32A.

The 32A supply to EVSE ( in this case PMC+) cable and 32A EVSE to car cable are standard with the car - that's why they're standard for UK and no need to change unless you have a very specific non home use case. Note the cable is a substitute and not an addition.

I have (as have others) this setup at home 32A end to end. I rarely use public AC charging when DC is also present. For public untethered EVSE charging you need the separate Public Mode 3 cable for AC.

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley GT3R, BMWi3s, LR Discovery, Pershing 52
Country flag
I'm not confused. OP will have home charging and therefore can have the flexibility to charge up to the full capacity single phase can deliver at 32A.

The 32A supply to EVSE ( in this case PMC+) cable and 32A EVSE to car cable are standard with the car - that's why they're standard for UK and no need to change unless you have a very specific non home use case. Note the cable is a substitute and not an addition.

I have (as have others) this setup at home 32A end to end. I rarely use public AC charging when DC is also present. For public untethered EVSE charging you need the separate Public Mode 3 cable for AC.
Porsche Taycan New GTS order A1AD16A9-0CC2-485B-AEC1-D3D6F23C14E7
Type 2 plugs/sockets, end to end will charge from a wall mount EV charger, these need to be bought separately , the Mobil charger Porsche and other manufactures supply won’t fit a type 2 socket.
I install EV chargers for a living.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Charged next to a silver on Friday. I was massively underwhelmed especially parked next to carmine red.
I know it's personal preference so my opinion is meaningless, but I just don't get why every other Porsche buyer chooses silver. It's so tedious and seen on many Ford's, Citroen's, Renault's, Kia's...........

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
A1AD16A9-0CC2-485B-AEC1-D3D6F23C14E7.jpeg
Type 2 plugs/sockets, end to end will charge from a wall mount EV charger, these need to be bought separately , the Mobil charger Porsche and other manufactures supply won’t fit a type 2 socket.
I install EV chargers for a living.
I think you've got confused here.

The standard kit - EVSE + all cables - support 32A charging assuming you have a fused 32A supply from the main board to the EVSE with a 32A receptacle for the supply to be connected to the EVSE.

BTW the EVSE is not a charger - the charger is physically in the car.

Not sure why you are challenging but hey ho.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Your money, your decision…but i think that you should keep at least RAS/RWS.
Otoh, i think that 5th seat is useless If you are not having kids.
Vital for resale apparently. Get your money back and a car with a wider appeal! Just saying.
Sponsored