New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Update Sept 11th: While the stop sale affects 900+ cars, the recall affects 4,777 Taycans across all model levels. The TL;DR version is that Porsche bought a bad batch of sealant that was allowing air/moisture into the batteries. The sealant has been upgraded. The first Taycans using the defective sealant were built Sept 22, 2022.

Recall details are here: RCLRPT-23V615-2712.PDF (nhtsa.gov) affected vehicles are listed below.

Tacan RWD
Production Dates : SEP 23, 2022 - AUG 03, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0AA2Y16PSA10625 End : WP0AA2Y19PSA16306 5682 VINs

Taycan 4S
Production Dates : SEP 22, 2022 - JUL 27, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0AB2Y10PSA35114 End : WP0AB2Y14PSA36606 1493 VINs

Taycan GTS
Production Dates : SEP 24, 2022 - JUL 21, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0AD2Y12PSA47095 End : WP0AD2Y16PSA48461 1367 VINs

Taycan Turbo
Production Dates : NOV 18, 2022 - MAY 10, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0AC2Y13PSA52082 End : WP0AC2Y11PSA52419 338 VINs

Taycan Turbo S
Production Dates : SEP 23, 2022 - MAY 09, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0AC2Y1XPSA52029 End : WP0AC2Y15PSA52424 396 VINs

Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Production Dates : SEP 27, 2022 - JUL 21, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0BA2Y15PSA60064 End : WP0BA2Y17PSA60650 587 VINs

Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Production Dates : SEP 28, 2022 - JUL 21, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0BB2Y19PSA65037 End : WP0BB2Y16PSA65545 509 VINs

Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo
Production Dates : OCT 13, 2022 - MAY 10, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0BC2Y1XPSA68025 End : WP0BC2Y16PSA68152 128 VINs

Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo
Production Dates : OCT 10, 2022 - AUG 02, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0BC2Y16PSA68006 End : WP0BC2Y18PSA68153 148 VINs

Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Production Dates : OCT 05, 2022 - AUG 03, 2023
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WP0CD2Y16PSA90038 End : WP0CD2Y17PSA90288 251 VINs

Update Sept 6th: Recall APB2 is a follow up to the WNT8 stop sale. 900 or so cars that were subject to WNT8 are subject to the APB2 recall in which some battery assemblies may not have been sealed correctly at the factory. APB2 testing is to be done on the affected cars after WNT8 (involves submitting vehicle log files to Porsche AG) is completed. If the battery fails the testing for APB2 the resolution is a complete replacement of the high voltage traction battery.

Original post: The SA assures me this is some sort of new (as of 4 am central time) global stop sale on all Taycans having something to do with potential leakage in the battery.

When I suggested that this sounded a heck of a lot like the old stop sale which shouldn't be affecting our Taycan because supposedly that was why it was held hostage at the factory for 3 freaking months he was unconvinced.

So, has anyone else heard anything like this today?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
Does it effect tycans already delivered in 2023

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The SA assures me this is some sort of new (as of 4 am central time) global stop sale on all Taycans having something to do with potential leakage in the battery.

When I suggested that this sounded a heck of a lot like the old stop sale which shouldn't be affecting our Taycan because supposedly that was why it was held hostage at the factory for 3 freaking months he was unconvinced.

So, has anyone else heard anything like this today?
Nope. Keep us posted as you learn more.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Was at the dealer last week and he said there was a stop sale here on all new Cayennes (software issue).

OP
OP
DougFrisk

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Does it effect tycans already delivered in 2023
Nope. Keep us posted as you learn more.
What I got from the SA is it's APB2 affecting 916 Y1A/Y1B/Y1C Taycans. It's the moisture ingress into the battery issue. I'm wondering if the original campaign expired August 31, so this may represent the Taycans that have been delayed past the expiration of the original campaign.

Being so frustrated with the communication so far, we drove from Duluth to Minneapolis this morning so we could get eyes on. Maybe some photos later when I'm not on a phone.

Upshot is. There is a new stop sale APB2 that is global, but only affects 916 cars. Most likely manufactured very late in April or early May.

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
What I got from the SA is it's APB2 affecting 916 Y1A/Y1B/Y1C Taycans. It's the moisture ingress into the battery issue. I'm wondering if the original campaign expired August 31, so this may represent the Taycans that have been delayed past the expiration of the original campaign.

Being so frustrated with the communication so far, we drove from Duluth to Minneapolis this morning so we could get eyes on. Maybe some photos later when I'm not on a phone.

Upshot is. There is a new stop sale APB2 that is global, but only affects 916 cars. Most likely manufactured very late in April or early May.
What is Y1A/B/C. Mean?

FirstTaycanGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan gts
Country flag
I'm also affected as well. I can't seem to get timeline on when it will be fixed. I was suppose to pick up my car Aug 31 and on the 30th they called me and said there is a stop sale due to recall and no instructions on what the fix is yet.

My SA did say it's something about moisture with battery.

@DougFrisk you seem to get a lot better detail answers, if you do find out the more please share.

My model it's Y1CDE1.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What is Y1A/B/C. Mean?
Not an expert, but I believe this is the meaning of these Porsche Model Codes --
  • Y1A - Taycan Sedan (Base, 4S, Turbo, Turbo S)
  • Y1B - Taycan Cross Turismo
  • Y1C - Taycan Sport Turismo
Open to corrections!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DougFrisk

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I'm also affected as well. I can't seem to get timeline on when it will be fixed. I was suppose to pick up my car Aug 31 and on the 30th they called me and said there is a stop sale due to recall and no instructions on what the fix is yet.

My SA did say it's something about moisture with battery.

@DougFrisk you seem to get a lot better detail answers, if you do find out the more please share.

My model it's Y1CDE1.
There was a time earlier this year where certain Taycans were produced that had potential sealing issues in the battery allowing moisture in.

Porsche Taycan New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023 1693693263937

Recently, Porsche released a Service Bulletin so dealers can test this, the tools were shipped to dealers at the end of June. This is part of WNW3 repairs that come after the WNT8 testing.

MC-10238775-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
MC-10238814-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

It looks like WNW3 may have become APB2 as of a day or two ago.

It seems to me that what is happening is that the "battery housing" from the image above is supposed to be sealed air tight. The "specialized tools" for testing look like a plug and port that connect to the front and rear high voltage connections allowing the shop to pressurize the battery housing and see if it leaks over time.

If it doesn't leak, everything should be good to go. If it does, the repair is to remove and replace the entire battery assembly. That would be a multi-week to multi-month process that we're going to pretend won't be happening.

I was under the impression from Porsche North America that the reason our car sat in the factory for about 3 months was that they were dealing with this very issue.

That said, the car looks quite nice for a vehicle that's been parked for 3 months and then shipped across the Atlantic and trucked most of the way up the continental US.
Porsche Taycan New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023 1693694588791

Yes it's dirty, and when we showed up unannounced the SA really wanted us to let him wash it before we took pictures. We didn't care about the dust, more that the car was real and actually existed after being delayed for so long. Heck, the car being delivered to the dealership late Wednesday night, Track Your Dream still thinks it's on a truck somewhere between Houston and Minneapolis.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was a time earlier this year where certain Taycans were produced that had potential sealing issues in the battery allowing moisture in.

1693693263937.png

Recently, Porsche released a Service Bulletin so dealers can test this, the tools were shipped to dealers at the end of June. This is part of WNW3 repairs that come after the WNT8 testing.

It seems to me that what is happening is that the "battery housing" from the image above is supposed to be sealed air tight. The "specialized tools" for testing look like a plug and port that connect to the front and rear high voltage connections allowing the shop to pressurize the battery housing and see if it leaks over time.

If it doesn't leak, everything should be good to go. If it does, the repair is to remove and replace the entire battery assembly. That would be a multi-week to multi-month process that we're going to pretend won't be happening.

I was under the impression from Porsche North America that the reason our car sat in the factory for about 3 months was that they were dealing with this very issue.

That said, the car looks quite nice for a vehicle that's been parked for 3 months and then shipped across the Atlantic and trucked most of the way up the continental US.
1693694588791.png

Yes it's dirty, and when we showed up unannounced the SA really wanted us to let him wash it before we took pictures. We didn't care about the dust, more that the car was real and actually existed after being delayed for so long. Heck, the car being delivered to the dealership late Wednesday night, Track Your Dream still thinks it's on a truck somewhere between Houston and Minneapolis.
Great info, and beautiful car! Hope you get to drive it soon!

OP
OP
DougFrisk

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Great info, and beautiful car! Hope you get to drive it soon!
Thank you, most people would call it a bit of a weird spec, but it was purchased as my wife's daily driver and the goal was "executive sedan that can handle northern Minnesota snow and is appropriate for long road trips with a dog." That's how we started with the base Cross Turismo. We do road trip a few times a year. We just got back from a 2800 mile jaunt out to Colorado. Last year we drove to Washington DC so I could flip off the Russian embassy while shouting "Fuck you Russian embassy!"

When selecting options we divided them in to three groups; "Comfort and Assistance", "Performance", and "Visual/Auditory bling." We went all in on comfort and assistance ignoring the other two. About the only thing from that category we didn't add were the massage seats. The only performance upgrade was rear wheel steering, but for the comfort and assistance at low speeds not the performance aspect.

Seeing the car in person I kind of wish we'd thrown $400 at the exterior inlays in black. The silver looks considerably more muted on the configurator than it does in person. Seeing it I could only think of those guys who leave the foam shipping protectors on their Dodge Challenger chin splitters.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Seeing the car in person I kind of wish we'd thrown $400 at the exterior inlays in black. The silver looks considerably more muted on the configurator than it does in person. Seeing it I could only think of those guys who leave the foam shipping protectors on their Dodge Challenger chin splitters.
Well worth it...

Porsche Taycan New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023 IMG_0347.JPG

FirstTaycanGTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan gts
Country flag
Thank you, most people would call it a bit of a weird spec, but it was purchased as my wife's daily driver and the goal was "executive sedan that can handle northern Minnesota snow and is appropriate for long road trips with a dog." That's how we started with the base Cross Turismo. We do road trip a few times a year. We just got back from a 2800 mile jaunt out to Colorado. Last year we drove to Washington DC so I could flip off the Russian embassy while shouting "Fuck you Russian embassy!"

When selecting options we divided them in to three groups; "Comfort and Assistance", "Performance", and "Visual/Auditory bling." We went all in on comfort and assistance ignoring the other two. About the only thing from that category we didn't add were the massage seats. The only performance upgrade was rear wheel steering, but for the comfort and assistance at low speeds not the performance aspect.

1693693263937.png

1693694588791.png

Oh man @DougFrisk, the reason for the vehicle purchase is so similar. It's a car for my wife as well. However for us it's more of a daily commute vehicle to drive the kids around.

Thank you for the info. I will ask about the battery inspection.. hopefully it's going to be positive. Our vehicle was manufactured in April, and stuck at port Edem. In the spirit of sharing here is our vehicle! They still have the manufacturing date on it.

Porsche Taycan New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023 PXL_20230826_164758708

OP
OP
DougFrisk

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Details just popped up in My Porsche this morning. I guess we now know the issue is poorly sealed battery assemblies. Disturbing to think that battery fires could be a result of a pinhole leak in the battery casing.
Porsche Taycan New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023 1693934119568
Sponsored