f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Unfortunately I never tried a TVR, although a good friend had a few. There certainly wasn't much to compare in terms of bhp/kg or bhp/£.

However, from what i've read, a 911 has a more delicate handling balance, even if heavier, whereas the TVR was more brute force.

What 911 are you comparing against?
Directly with the 993 version, both Carrera and Turbo.
The ride and handling of the 993 Carrera was nicer than the Griffith but it was much, much slower.
The turbo had similar performance but the lag meant it was poor for overtaking cars on the short clear stretches of road I encounter on my frequent routes, so close to useless as a daily for me.
Sponsored

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Directly with the 993 version, both Carrera and Turbo.
The ride and handling of the 993 Carrera was nicer than the Griffith but it was much, much slower.
The turbo had similar performance but the lag meant it was poor for overtaking cars on the short clear stretches of road I encounter on my frequent routes, so close to useless as a daily for me.
I guess there's a good reason Evo has given COTY to a Porsche in c. 20+ years out of 30, mainly to a 911!

I'm struggling to see if TVR did better in the previous incarnation as Performance Car, which was probably the peak period for their cars? I think the Griffith, Chimera and Tuscan were often featured in the magazine.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I was brought up in Kirkham.
I occasionally worked with one of the Prison's governors (on totally unrelated matters), most of my working life was based around the Fylde coast. (Originally from Aintree, hence the von Trips tag).

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On a smooth super wide race track a 911 turbo or GT3 would eat the TVR for breakfast. It isn’t turbocharged either so the worst thing about the turbo - lag - won’t be there. 911s have come a long way since 1996 as well.
On typical country roads I was hustling along on my way to work it was the other way round by a big margin.
Sure, but PCOTY and ECOTY were about the most fun road cars, not track cars, or the fastest cars. Where emotion and involvement (alongside performance and handling) were important.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, but PCOTY and ECOTY were about the most fund road cars, not track cars or the fastest cars.
I’m not a journalist and don’t read car magazines so I have a narrower experience.
The 911 may well be better than the other cars they have considered recently, I have no idea what their priorities are.

It certainly wasn’t better than my TVR Griffith for my use in 1997 when I tried it.

Several racing car designers used the TVR, the most famous being Gordon Murray who was as big a fan as me and had more than one iirc.

When I bought mine I had been considering building a “fake-snake” Cobra replica, but the TVR was an easier choice with similar talents and fewer weaknesses.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not a journalist and don’t read car magazines so I have a narrower experience.
The 911 may well be better than the other cars they have considered recently, I have no idea what their priorities are.

It certainly wasn’t better than my TVR Griffith for my use in 1997 when I tried it.

Several racing car designers used the TVR, the most famous being Gordon Murray who was as big a fan as me and had more than one iirc.

When I bought mine I had been considering building a “fake-snake” Cobra replica, but the TVR was an easier choice with similar talents and fewer weaknesses.
Interestingly there wasn't a Porsche in the 1997 PCOTY, but there was a TVR Cerbera. I don't know how well it did though - I'm surprised this information isn't more readily available via Wikipedia or similar. Maybe it is and I just failed to find it!

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly there wasn't a Porsche in the 1997 PCOTY, but there was a TVR Cerbera. I don't know how well it did though!
It all went wrong for TVR when they decided to build their own engine, which was a poor design IMO.
The Cerbera had that engine and I wouldn’t have considered it.

Gordon and Creighton Brown (RIP), the two principles of the McLaren F1 road car project, both had a Griffith and used them as part of the design concept evaluation for the F1 (or that is their excuse to have one each…) incidentally.
Sponsored