First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Sports Turismo
Country flag
Hi all
I am about to become a Taycan owner. I am moving from a 911 (992) my 22 to a Taycan ST GTS.

Not driven a GTS yet only a 4S and was very impressed. Now I don’t do the long distant driving I did when working so now retired thought I make take the plunge into EV.

Hope I am doing the right thing.
Sponsored

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
Hi Ronnie. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I moved from a 991.2 Targa GTS to a Taycan 4S and loved it. Kept the 4S for a year and bought a Taycan Turbo S. I think the Taycan is a stunning car, and I imagine the GTS will be spot on.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi all
I am about to become a Taycan owner. I am moving from a 911 (992) my 22 to a Taycan ST GTS.

Not driven a GTS yet only a 4S and was very impressed. Now I don’t do the long distant driving I did when working so now retired thought I make take the plunge into EV.

If you need more of a commuter car than a sports car, you will be very happy. Taycan is the sportiest commuter EV on the planet.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi Ronnie! I made the same move as you, and was also feeling a bit unsure. In fact for the first couple of weeks I felt unsure...but I really wanted to go electric (for the power/torque/cost to run) and they won't make me the E-Targa I truly want. :)

Do not let the adjustment period alarm you. I think you'll find the power and handling is there - it's a proper Porsche - and you'll really enjoy the new experience.

OP
OP
Ronnie

Ronnie

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Ronnie! I made the same move as you, and was also feeling a bit unsure. In fact for the first couple of weeks I felt unsure...but I really wanted to go electric (for the power/torque/cost to run) and they won't make me the E-Targa I truly want. :)

Do not let the adjustment period alarm you. I think you'll find the power and handling is there - it's a proper Porsche - and you'll really enjoy the new experience.
thank you as this is very reassuring because as good as the 911 is I ended up not using it as much because of the inconvenience of taking people and boot space. Always ended up taking my Ford Ranger everywhere.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
thank you as this is very reassuring because as good as the 911 is I ended up not using it as much because of the inconvenience of taking people and boot space. Always ended up taking my Ford Ranger everywhere.
I see you went with the GTS too, which is an outstanding spec IMO. Plenty of power, and in launch control it will put a smile on your face guaranteed.

OP
OP
Ronnie

Ronnie

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see you went with the GTS too, which is an outstanding spec IMO. Plenty of power, and in launch control it will put a smile on your face guaranteed.
I bought one a couple of months old as it’s an ex Porsche Head office car. It’s fully loaded with ceramic brakes and £36,000 or $45,000 worth of options

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I also moved from a 991S to Taycan Turbo.

For me, the TT is the more practical car and feels techically superior.
Smooth ride and/ or ultra fast. It's also a better fit for our times – ultra low energy consumption, no emissions (incl. noise) etc. I also find the additional space, 2 extra doors etc. very practical. Two trunks are a big plus, too.

What you might notice is the sheer size: much wider, much longer.
Make sure you go for RAS.

OP
OP
Ronnie

Ronnie

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also moved from a 991S to Taycan Turbo.

For me, the TT is the more practical car and feels techically superior.
Smooth ride and/ or ultra fast. It's also a better fit for our times – ultra low energy consumption, no emissions (incl. noise) etc. I also find the additional space, 2 extra doors etc. very practical. Two trunks are a big plus, too.

What you might notice is the sheer size: much wider, much longer.
Make sure you go for RAS.
The waiting list on a new one was too long so I went for a couple of months old ex Porsche Uk head office car. It’s fully loaded but does not have RAS. I had a Panamera before 911 so used to the size of the car.

AtTheGlen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan GTS, ‘24 911 GT3 (992.1)
Country flag
The waiting list on a new one was too long so I went for a couple of months old ex Porsche Uk head office car. It’s fully loaded but does not have RAS. I had a Panamera before 911 so used to the size of the car.
Congratulations, Ronnie, on your decision. I will join the chorus of people saying that you will be very pleased with the Taycan ownership experience and its performance. My wife and I took delivery on a Taycan GTS two months ago; our other car is a ‘21 911 Turbo S (992).

Earlier today, I drove both cars: the 911 to a Porsche Club breakfast meeting (my wife needed the Taycan for work) and the Taycan to the gym. I love the 911 for what it is and it sets a high bar for comparison. I have driven 911 GT cars on the track (not my 911s but those at the Porsche Experience Center and rent-a-lap companies) and have attended a driving school, so its exceptional performance means something to me.

Yet when I’m driving the Taycan, I NEVER think: “I wish I were driving the 911” — The Taycan is that enjoyable to drive. I autocrossed a Taycan at a Porsche “Drive Experience” event last year and, after taking delivery of our Taycan at the Los Angeles PEC, I drove a Taycan Turbo S on the track. The Taycan is super capable. Earlier today after going to an ATM in a large otherwise empty parking lot, I used speed bumps as a series of chicanes as I was leaving. Honestly, the car is that engaging.

Regardless of what model Taycan you have acquired, I think that (as you likely have already found out if you now have the car) that you will enjoy the drive is a similar way to that of a 911. I agree with people who have written about how “the Taycan shrinks around you”. The performance is explosive, and while my GTS is not as quick at the 911 I own, it achieves speed with far less drama. Anyway, both cars have way more power than I really need. I have heard people say “I don’t ever want an EV“, but I think once they drive an EV they could be intoxicated by the torque and, like me, they won’t miss the rumble off an I.C.E. engine or standing in the rain pumping gas/petrol.

Finally, by purchasing a head office car, you likely not only have a well-equipped car, but you will also be spared much of the depreciation, which could enable you to move to the next generation Taycan with less of a financial hit. All the best for many safe and enjoyable miles in the Taycan.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
You won't regret it at all but one thing be prepared for, you will just smile every time you drive it great choice

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Hi all

Whether you are doing the right thing depends very much on what you are trying to achieve.

As EVs go, the Taycan is one of the best and feels and drives like a Porsche should. It handles well for a car of this size and has more than enough pace. It also is very practical and cheap to run.

However, compared to a 911, it is much less emotional and less fun to drive - a typical 911 is less than 2/3rds the weight and has a noise that an EV can only dream of.

So if you want an everyday EV which handles well, you’ve done the right thing. If you want a car for fun driving at weekends, I think you’ve made a mistake!

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Congrats! I have a GTS ST without RAS, and I don’t miss it, not even on rather narrow Norwegian country roads.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Congrats! I have a GTS ST without RAS, and I don’t miss it, not even on rather narrow Norwegian country roads.
Have you experience of driving a Taycan with RAS?

I think one of the most common comments is that, if you’ve never had it, you won’t miss it, but once you’ve had it, you probably wouldn’t choose to be without it.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Have you experience of driving a Taycan with RAS?

I think one of the most common comments is that, if you’ve never had it, you won’t miss it, but once you’ve had it, you probably wouldn’t choose to be without it.
Some experience in the pre-spec phase, none after that. It may very well be the way you describe. But my experience is that handling is fine without RAS.

To me there is also the added complication that with RAS on a slippery (Norwegian winter) road, I may not feel the difference between rear wheels slipping and RAS kicking in.
Sponsored