Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
You're missing my point. The dealer has access to the history of the vehicle and so that is the primary reference.

No personal data need be shared.

As a last resort therefore the dealer may reach out to the prior owner if something is deemed untoward.
I get your point and did.... IME, they are not prepared to do this.

I suspect the OP would actually like a chat with the original owner directly to see if they'd had problems with the car. Porsche are even less likely to contact the original owner and then let the OP know if it looks like he has a lemon (which, BTW, it doesn't really sound like he has).

Fwiw I'm not even convinced their warranty claim records are consistent across the network 🙂
Sponsored

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
Basically you bought a lemon and should try to have Porsche take it away. So maybe research if this vehicle was ever denied a lemon-law status by Porsche.

OP
OP

Rickpriceuk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997 C4S
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies.

Basically I want to know whether the various faults were known about by the owner and/or the dealer before selling on to me.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
In the UK we have a thing called GDPR. It means data is fairly closely protected. So asking the dealer will get a resounding ‘no’.

Foibles:
In 6 months of ownership I have only washed the car once. This would be great but the reason I have not washed the car is because the dealer has done it for me every time it’s been in for something - it’s running at once a month at the moment, last time for 2 weeks. So the car has probably only spent about 4 months on my driveway (if that).

The list is complicated and not huge but includes:

Failed heater servos resulting in a whole dashboard out thing to replace. They left an annoying vibration in there at the same time.

A couple of software updates.

The key no longer talks to the car so keyless entry doesn’t work any more.

A full charge today (15dec C) is 187 miles. Apparently I should accept this as normal. Nothing wrong with the batteries.

all the automatic safety systems were failing and so a central control box has been replaced in the ‘hope’ that this will correct.

New rear camera.

At some stage they took off a panel under the front lid and didn’t replace it. They have now, but not before I saw all the grit and crud under there, apparently thrown up by the wheels.

The nice young lady at the dealership tells me the ‘close boot’ button doesn’t work and she has no idea why it is there. I have since found out she is wrong and in fact the many hours of design and engineering put into this button do, in fact, have a purpose.

There’s others that don’t come to me right now.

None huge, just bloody annoying.

Richard
Permitted battery degradation at intervals terms are written into the warranty. Check your warranty. Ask your dealer to tell you the remaining percentage.
Expect about 15% more range in summer temperatures. A predicted 187 miles sounds about right for current UK temperatures. Actual range will vary.
Fast charging and charging above 85% will cause greater degradation.

Don’t expect Porsche sales and service staff to know their product! Ask here!

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies.

Basically I want to know whether the various faults were known about by the owner and/or the dealer before selling on to me.
That’s not central.
Look up the Consumer Rights Act 2015. After 6 months, you may have left it too late to reject the car. Unfortunate given that it sounds like things have unraveled over several months. But you can require that every thing is fixed. Be careful to document the timeline, issues, actions and escalate to the dealer principal and Porsche GB customer service.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
Interestingly enough I have had the same desire because my car was falling apart after having purchased a “Porsche approved” one from a dealer. It took 5 visits in a span of couple of months, and it all looked very fishy. They kept fixing things, but won’t be very forthcoming of what was the history of the strange things happening implying the previous owner must have done something which I find rather implausible given it’s a 150k car that was under warranty, to keep fiddling with it.
Now the car has been taken on a flatbed in France with a failed heater (which is the most “normal” of all the faults).

so - if you bought a dolomite Silver Turbo in November 2020 in Reading and gave it up in the summer of 2023, feel free to PM, I would really love to know some background of what they were doing…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Interestingly enough I have had the same desire because my car was falling apart after having purchased a “Porsche approved” one from a dealer. It took 5 visits in a span of couple of months, and it all looked very fishy. They kept fixing things, but won’t be very forthcoming of what was the history of the strange things happening implying the previous owner must have done something which I find rather implausible given it’s a 150k car that was under warranty, to keep fiddling with it.
Now the car has been taken on a flatbed in France with a failed heater (which is the most “normal” of all the faults).

so - if you bought a dolomite Silver Turbo in November 2020 in Reading and gave it up in the summer of 2023, feel free to PM, I would really love to know some background of what they were doing…
Not wanting to upset anyone on this forum but personally I would never purchase a 2nd hand Porsche from the Reading dealership (RV number plate prefix) as all of the cars for the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone are sourced there and we all know how hard these cars are driven by pros and amateurs alike!

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not wanting to upset anyone on this forum but personally I would never purchase a 2nd hand Porsche from the Reading dealership (RV number plate prefix) as all of the cars for the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone are sourced there and we all know how hard these cars are driven by pros and amateurs alike!
Reading is part of the Porsche Retail Group, which is a subsidiary of Porsche GB, the importer. Other Porsche GB dealers are Guildford, Hatfield, Mayfair and West London. The Porsche Retail Group also has the national Parts Distribution Centre. Reading is co located with Porsche GB HQ and Central Ops. There’s a large compound of new and pre reg cars there. It’s likely that press and celeb loan cars will end up in one of the Porsche GB owned dealers. Not all those will have a RV number plate.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I was told when I was there one time that PEC cars are sold off to all dealerships so you could pick one up anywhere
Sponsored