Onboard charger defect

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I am so happy that now I am not only member of the broken heater group but also the broken onboard charger group.

We are leaving on holiday tomorrow. Trip and hotels planned for chargers etc.

No power in the house when I woke up this morning. Taycan stopped charging at 4 am around 70 % soc. Turned the power back on but charge fault in the Taycan. Tried both ports and the house hold plug charger but nothing worked. Wallbox did work with my wife’s CLA.

Left to work with the CLA. My wife tried again after an hour but nothing. Asked her to go to a near Fastned to see if DC would work but she got the well know board failure message, srevive needed. Car would only go into neutral nothing else. Not forward or back.

Called Porsche assistance and they picked up the Taycan left me a RR Evoque. It is smaller and slower as the CLA so probably we will now go With the CLA. I have to return the RR next Friday but we are still abroad. still hace to,see how we will work that out.

I hope they can fix it soon because I want to return the car to the leasing company. I can stop the contract for 3000 euro and return the car. Can’t return it when it is broken.

Maybe I am unlucky and have a bad car but enough is enough. Only had the WPN9 recall installed last week. I have never had a car that has so much issues. Heater defect, leaking in the trunk, door,handels, buzzing sound that is normal for Taycans but really annoying for le. Three software update for which it had to go in for two days. Always a 40 minute drive to the dealer.

After every fix when a drive away I am so happy how it drives and I tell my self it is not so bad after all. but I can’t use this car as our daily driver anymore. Lost a confidence.

Porsche Taycan Onboard charger defect b21f3277-887f-43cb-a41e-3f720db16761

Porsche Taycan Onboard charger defect bb41d1a8-1990-493b-9feb-ffb6ec888f9

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I feel your pain. Sorry to hear about further troubles.

Good solution if you can return the car from,leasing without loosing yo much. I wish I had such an option and then I would like to do the same. But I do not lease my car so not an option.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Called yesterday. Morning and they offered me to swap the Evoque for a Panamera. Which I did of course. Unfortunately my wife picked it up and it was on summer tires. So took the CLA anyway.

Some observations during the trip. All stops I planned all had more than two or three chargers free.

The hotel for the stop over in Macon reserved the charging spot and it was free for us over night. Centre of town, small building. Would have been very tricky to get the Taycan in and out. Probably too small.

And the trip was so relaxed. No checking charging occupation while driving. No charging charge plans. When heading for a traffic jam MBUX just gave us a better route. Which is impossible when charge stops are planned ahead.

Had to take fuel twice. Five minute stop. What a difference. Especially in bad wheater. In the summer I do care less

So many EV drivers along the way. Hypermiling. When you see the stress on the drivers face hoping to get to the next charger. I know the feeling. Nobody wants to drive 110 on a 130 road. The EV charging just makes it necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
For tax a PHEV is still doable for a couple of years.

May go for a BMW 550e or a Panamera. The 550 seems like a good deal with active roll stailisation, sportive and comfortable. i6 and 200 Hp electric engine. Should be a good combination. Still have to do a testdrive. I have will the Panamera for some time so I can test that one too.

Also tested an EQS really nice drive. Really comfortable. But looking on the fora they are having the same issues as we have. Mercedes sales guy mailed me yesterday if I wanted to close the deal (35.000 K rebate on a stock EQS). Confronted him and of course his reply was that EQS doesn’t have the problems the Taycan has. Duhuh. Should ask him to put that on paper.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Wanted to test if my charge plan would have worked. 24 chargers in the public parking in Val D’Isere . Found 8. One taken bij a ICE, two by BEV not charging and not plugged in en on PHeV plugged in and not charging. Like laying down a towel at the swimming pool? Not done.

Lots of negative posts on chargemap. I did manage to get charging starting with the Plugsurfing card. Porsche didn’t connect, Shell made a connection but charging didn’t start.

like others noted charging only 2,2 kw. So would have taken 2 days with the Taycan.

But the plan would have worked. I would probably have charged at Tesla Albertville to 85% arriving at 65%.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Went to check for a well optioned 2023 Panamera 4 ST. Rws, ventilated seats platinum etc. See if I can make a really good deal because PHEV taxation has changed and it is difficult for them to sell.

anyway this was at another Porsche dealership and I was complaining about Taycan reliability. He said the first models were fine but with corona and chip shortage Porsche switched to other less reliable provider all the problems leading to we are seeing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gru
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Having my car back and driven it for a couple of times I am reconsidering everything I have written the last days.
It so nice to drive but do I trust it enough to keep it.

Now that the OBC has been changed and the heater software opdate, is it safe to presume I will be happy and out of trouble for the next two years of lease. All repairs are covered by the lease contract anyway and I have booked additional Porsche assistance for two years.

Or go for a V6/I6 for one last time now that it is still possible for a couple of yearstry to make a good deal on the Panamera? Or a BMW 550e touring? Tested a i5 M60 with the adaptive M suspension. Very comfortable in comfort and sporty in sport setting. Great I6 engine paired to an 200 hp electric engine. Would still be 25k less than a used Panamera. And infotainment is much better.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I am having some issues with my Wallbox pulsar. It is charging normally but it indicates a too high current. The chargers shows 30 kW but the car 5 kW like set in the Wallbox app.

Eco pro function doesn’t work. Starts charging at 22 kW even when set to only 7. So still charging from the grid and not solar only.

electrician will check.

Should I ask Porsche to pay for the defect. Or better stay quiet so they can’t blame the charger of the defect on the car.
Sponsored