Olivier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello all,

Can you maybe advice me what to do ?

Last week I found my Taycan 4S (15/08/2020) as a brick in the garage. Completely dead.

The vehicle was towed away and yesterday the diagnosis from Porsche was:

- HV battery defect and to be replaced (warranty 8 years starting from 15/8/20, this period is not revised and lengthened when a new battery is placed ?)

- Onboard charger defect (out of warranty)
- Cooler fan right defect because of mud (out of warranty)

First question:

I personally don't understand why the onboard charger can be defective without seeing a link to the issues with the HV battery ?

Second question:

I already had my left cooler fan replaced because of the same issues. I drive normally on hardened roads, not offroad...
When I said to Porsche that this fan could be broken again very soon after they replaced them and that I could not do anything against this happening they told me the new coolers had protective caps.
So this is in fact a less ideal placement of these fans, or problems due to not having any protection not to get dirt from the wheels in it ?

Is it logical that Porsche wants to charge me 4000 EUR for replacing the cooler and the onboard charger ?

thank you for your input !

Olivier
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello all,

Last week I found my Taycan 4S (15/08/2020) as a brick in the garage. Completely dead.

- HV battery defect and to be replaced (warranty 8 years starting from 15/8/20, this period is not revised and lengthened when a new battery is placed ?)

First question:

I personally don't understand why the onboard charger can be defective without seeing a link to the issues with the HV battery ?

Second question:

I already had my left cooler fan replaced because of the same issues. I drive normally on hardened roads, not offroad...
When I said to Porsche that this fan could be broken again very soon after they replaced them and that I could not do anything against this happening they told me the new coolers had protective caps.
So this is in fact a less ideal placement of these fans, or problems due to not having any protection not to get dirt from the wheels in it ?

Is it logical that Porsche wants to charge me 4000 EUR for replacing the cooler and the onboard charger ?

Olivier
Normally all of these items would be covered by your warranty (if official Porsche warranty).

New HV battery - full or partial? If full then warranty should start once the work is done.

Onboard charger - seems odd this and the battery have failed, not impossible but odd / questionable.

Fans - that's a concern and I would argue loudly about warranty given your situation. Write a letter Porsche HQ and explain further. This sounds like another design flaw.

High costs due to high labour charges and a lot of labour time for the work.

In UK all Taycans have a 3 year warranty on the car and 8 years on the battery - what is you car warranty?

Always renew the warranty once expired - it saves €€€€€

OP
OP
BlackT4S

BlackT4S

First Name
Olivier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
OK, here the warranty is 2 years and I did not renew it

I already contaced porsche Stuttgart on their website and the support says the correct emailaddress to write to is [email protected] ?

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
When I had a problem with my 4S, which was taking ages to repair, I found the CEO-UK’s email address. A personally addressed email seemed to stir up a response very quickly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
OK, here the warranty is 2 years and I did not renew it

I already contaced porsche Stuttgart on their website and the support says the correct emailaddress to write to is [email protected] ?
I would write to the HQ in your region - Belgium and copy also Porsche HQ in Germany.

If you don't have a warranty then you will be reliant on goodwill at best - perhaps you can play that card for your fans. The battery should still be covered (8 yrs).

If the car has been dealer serviced (20K miles) then you should be on a firm footing.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hello all,

First question:

Second question:

Olivier
Well I think that is a tricky one. Warranty in France is also just 2 years, and when I read the text, any item that is replaced under warranty, is under warranty gor the reminder of the time. So after 2 years most parts warranty expire, wether replaced or not under warranty before. The battery is covered for 8 years with some measure of degradation though. But if you receive a new battery the warranty period will come to an end after the 8 years from transfer to owner or first registration.

So your battery should be replaced free of charge for sure.

The fan is trickier and would rely on goodwill perhaps.

The Charger in the car is also iffy and you need perhaps to see if it could have failed due to the failure of your main battery?

Not a pleasant situation you find yourself in there.

OP
OP
BlackT4S

BlackT4S

First Name
Olivier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Well I think that is a tricky one. Warranty in France is also just 2 years, and when I read the text, any item that is replaced under warranty, is under warranty gor the reminder of the time. So after 2 years most parts warranty expire, wether replaced or not under warranty before. The battery is covered for 8 years with some measure of degradation though. But if you receive a new battery the warranty period will come to an end after the 8 years from transfer to owner or first registration.

So your battery should be replaced free of charge for sure.

The fan is trickier and would rely on goodwill perhaps.

The Charger in the car is also iffy and you need perhaps to see if it could have failed due to the failure of your main battery?

Not a pleasant situation you find yourself in there.
Yes, that was also my thinking.... I already had the 12V battery replaced withing warranty and had several times after the replacement a sudden error after the car was charged to 100% at home saying 'boordnet error'. So again a 12V error and when I waited a few hours the issue resolved and I could use the car again....

I also had the left fan replaced after mud debris ? And when I asked porsche if this going to happen again with the new fans they said that the new version has a protection plate !
So definitly a design issue !

Iben

First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
I have changed left side fan year 2 and right side approx year 3.
booth fans was the old / original type (no extra protection plate).

All this in the waranty period.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hello all,

My Taycan 4S (14/08/2020) also has a HV battery module failure. They ordered the parts from Germany, takes 3 months. Then they need 3 weeks to repair. Did they say anything to you how long it takes?
Sponsored