OTA Updates

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
no it is not stated Beta but it should be considering all the bugs!!! :)
Since you might have mountain roads near by, what happens, when you drive uphill with D mode selected and then let go of both pedals? How does the car react to this?
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Since you might have mountain roads near by, what happens, when you drive uphill with D mode selected and then let go of both pedals? How does the car react to this?
Not sure what you are insinuating has anything to do with OTA Updates.......?

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For OTA updates, one thing you need to do after getting the car setup with your Porsche ID and the mobile app connection confirmed, is head to the web portal for Porsche Connect and make sure Online Software Updates is enabled, per my screenshots below.

Porsche Taycan OTA Updates 1AEB2F5E-C97B-4EDB-AB4D-448D957121C2

Porsche Taycan OTA Updates A07B4DC5-38DD-43FC-A525-C03CADA17F09

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
For OTA updates, one thing you need to do after getting the car setup with your Porsche ID and the mobile app connection confirmed, is head to the web portal for Porsche Connect and make sure Online Software Updates is enabled, per my screenshots below.

1AEB2F5E-C97B-4EDB-AB4D-448D957121C2.jpeg

A07B4DC5-38DD-43FC-A525-C03CADA17F09.jpeg
Thank you for that. My dealer's Taycan expert was sure everything is on for OTA updates. Looks like he missed on this spot - it surely was off.....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thank you for that. My dealer's Taycan expert was sure everything is on for OTA updates. Looks like he missed on this spot - it surely was off.....
That was a good advice! Surprising if that was not turned on at delivery!

My settings were correct and and all turned on. However I still do not get any updates OTA for the navigation and the Ionity chargers. It is nearly 5 months since one station close by opened and it is still not visible in the car.

The following statement also was included under OTA settings in MyPorsche. I have translated it via Google translate.

””
Activate or deactivate automatic online software updates for your vehicle.
Online software updates allow you to improve the stability and performance of certain software in your Porsche. No workshop visit is necessary, the download and installation of online software updates is done directly in the vehicle.
Downloading an update requires an active Internet connection in the vehicle. If you use your own connection, additional costs may apply (mobile charges). You can also carry out software updates in your Porsche Center.””

Does anybody understand what the underlined bold sentences mean? Is this a way of Porsche saying You Need To Buy The Extra Connection at 20 EUR per month to get OTA? The car as we all know modes not connect to any home WiFi so that is out!

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Some more info on OTA:

Note on OTA (Over the Air)

The OTA system is already used for updates of a smaller scope. However, for compound updates such as this one, such a large amount of data is transferred that a smooth update in the Porsche Center is ensured with a high-speed line. Subsequently, the function of all control units is verified with a test. With a technology carrier such as the Taycan, the complexity of the systems is at a very high level, so we decided on this procedure.
https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/2020/08/08/porsches-over-the-air-just-vaporware/

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I think their biggest issue is that we are unable to connect the Taycan to home wifi, yet. Until this is enabled, performing an update over cellular data would be abismal.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I think their biggest issue is that we are unable to connect the Taycan to home wifi, yet. Until this is enabled, performing an update over cellular data would be abismal.
Why would you download and apply an update in "Real Time"?

All the car needs to do is download the update in the background at whatever speed/connection is available, stopping and starting as needed. Then when it completes the download, it can run a checksum of what it stored and, if the checksum validates the contents are accurate, it can ask to apply the update. (If the checksum fails, simply restart the download). You don't even have to know the download is happening until it has been fully completed. Nothing has to be "abismal". Who cares if the download even takes a couple of days? You can drive your car while the data is being downloaded. Still better than scheduling a service visit...

IMHO: "Having to do it at the dealership" because it has a higher speed / more reliable connection is pure BS. Download integrity need have nothing to do with speed or connection reliability. Your cell phone switches towers and goes in/out of reception all the time yet none of its crap seems to get corrupted because of that. Your email and text messages eventually get delivered intact regardless of how spotty your connectivity is. This just indicates a lazy or incomplete implementation...

This is the way Tesla has been doing it for years. My Model X simply notifies me when an update is READY to apply...

Last edited:

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Yeah I don't get it. If the car isn't on WIFI how would you download the OTA?
Makes no sense to me. How could you have a car in 2020 that does not have some WIFI connectivity.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I don't get it. If the car isn't on WIFI how would you download the OTA?
Makes no sense to me. How could you have a car in 2020 that does not have some WIFI connectivity.
Your car has a SIM card built in for Porsche Connect data services. It is ALWAYS connected via the GSM cellular network (coverage notwithstanding): "Model year 2018 and onward vehicles have an embedded SIM card including data to use some Porsche Connect services."

Similarly, Tesla uses WiFi for OTA downloads if its available (like in your garage) but will fall back to GSM LTE if its not (on the road)... YOU don't download the update - the CAR does. You never even know its happening or how long it takes. You just find out when the car has finished its download, verified the contents, and is ready to apply the update.

If you are talking about the car PROVIDING a WiFi hotspot, that is a completely different thing and totally unrelated to the cars ability to download an OTA update...

Last edited:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would you download and apply an update in "Real Time"?
You wouldn't, but taking days to download over a weak cellular data connection is not the best method.

This is the way Tesla has been doing it for years. My Model X simply notifies me when an update is READY to apply...
And what does Tesla use to download the update? Wifi.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla uses WiFi and Cellular connections - the car downloads the update over the course of hours/days - and then when it's all ready and the car is in park you have the option to "apply" the update - the car will warn you about the expected "down time" while the update is being applied - in 7 years of ownership I've never seen an update take more than 2 hours - which is no problem "overnight".

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla uses WiFi and Cellular connections...
Cellular is not used.
https://www.tesla.com/support/software-updates

"Our cars regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi."

"If the touchscreen is showing a yellow download icon, a software update is available but your vehicle is not connected to Wi-Fi."

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Wifi is preferred but Celluar is used if the car doesn't have wifi for a certain period of time - I know because my vehicle does not have WiFi configured…

and humbly might I suggest that I do know what Tesla does with their cars as a Victim/Customer for the past 7 years and having owned 5 Tesla's (P85, P85D, X90D, X100D, M3P)…

I know for a fact software update will be staged over the cellular network, but it takes a while - and if you want the update sooner connecting to WiFi accelerates the queuing of the update to your personal vehicle. But WiFi is _NOT_ required, but it is preferred.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You wouldn't, but taking days to download over a weak cellular data connection is not the best method.

And what does Tesla use to download the update? Wifi.
It doesn't have to be the BEST method, it only has to be the ONLY method available...

Tesla has used GSM Cellular Data (LTE) for Many years if WiFi wasn't available. Its proven technology. I heard they discontinued using LTE recently (2019) as so many users now have hotspots available on their phone. If so, I'm sure it was a cost thing, not a technology thing. Using WiFi from your cellphone is no different than using GSM/LTE as that is how your phone is getting the data in the first place...

How long does it take your Windows PC to download a major update? I bet you don't know cause it really doesn't matter. It happens in the background. All that matters is that the download is complete and verified before the update begins.
Sponsored

Last edited: