Pano roof with variable light control

gkiratbajwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I just got a freeze date for my RWD order and I'm considering buying the variable light control roof. California is pretty sunny and I think it will be helpful.

Can it be configured while the car is off? I would want to turn on the shade while parking my car in the sun, but I don't know if the shade can stay on for long when the car is off. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Bakus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi GT
Country flag

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I just got a freeze date for my RWD order and I'm considering buying the variable light control roof. California is pretty sunny and I think it will be helpful.

Can it be configured while the car is off? I would want to turn on the shade while parking my car in the sun, but I don't know if the shade can stay on for long when the car is off. Any ideas?
I thought I read somewhere that when the car is switched off it automatically will be greyed and hence will keep the sun out

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718S Range Rover Vogue Ordered CT4T
Country flag
I was wondering whether, as I am waiting for replacement roof if it could be up graded to the variable light version ?
I took delivery of it late March this year.

OP
OP
gkiratbajwa

gkiratbajwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks. This was helpful. The porsche media article above states that the basic glass roof also blocks uv and only lets in 15% of the heat. The article also says that a conventional roof lets in >30% of the heat.

Now I'm not sure whether I should buy the variable control. Just looking at this raw data, I don't see any benefit of buying the variable light control roof (apart from privacy). Can anyone share their experience on how hot does the car get due to a standard pano roof?

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
Thanks. This was helpful. The porsche media article above states that the basic glass roof also blocks uv and only lets in 15% of the heat. The article also says that a conventional roof lets in >30% of the heat.

Now I'm not sure whether I should buy the variable control. Just looking at this raw data, I don't see any benefit of buying the variable light control roof (apart from privacy). Can anyone share their experience on how hot does the car get due to a standard pano roof?
That’s not how I understood the article. Read the last paragraph again. It states that even when (The VLC) roof is in its transparent state, it lets in 15% of heat, compared to 30% for conventional (glass) roofs.

OP
OP
gkiratbajwa

gkiratbajwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
That’s not how I understood the article. Read the last paragraph again. It states that even when (The VLC) roof is in its transparent state, it lets in 15% of heat, compared to 30% for conventional (glass) roofs.
Oh I thought conventional meant a normal metallic roof. This is so confusing lol.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Great question, it does go opaque when the car is off and then returns to the previous state when turned back on.

I would imagine this is desired. To your point but also necessary as to have the class clear will require a small electrical current to be applied.

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/...ycan-gts/panoramic-roof-with-sunshine-control
I don't mean to be nit-picky, but for me this is an issue: This feature never goes opaque -- only translucent. You can still make out forms (and the sun and presumably bright lights at night) through the "closed" electrochromic glass. The failure to go opaque (as is the case in the glass in Boeing 787 Dreamliner windows, for example) gives me pause about spending the $3290 (USD) extra to get the electrochromic glass in my forthcoming Taycan. I'm not sure why Porsche couldn't go "all the way"...
Sponsored