Park assist function illegal and does not work in New York State - buyer beware!

TaycanIsForLovers

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
Hi all...I bought a 2022 CT in January (ordered in July '21), and purchased the ParkAssist as an upgrade to the Premium Package (P4X). It worked at the dealership in CT, but when I took it home to NY the button on the center console was grayed out and the feature unavailable. My local dealer spent months trying to fix it, including purchasing a new parking module, only to eventually learn that ParkAssist is is illegal in NY (and maybe VT) and the car uses geofencing to inactivate it. Anyone else come across this? Neither the CT nor the NY dealers knew about this until I brought it to their attention, and only recently is there is a disclaimer on the Porsche build website that the feature may not be avavilable in all states.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all...I bought a 2022 CT in January (ordered in July '21), and purchased the ParkAssist as an upgrade to the Premium Package (P4X). It worked at the dealership in CT, but when I took it home to NY the button on the center console was grayed out and the feature unavailable. My local dealer spent months trying to fix it, including purchasing a new parking module, only to eventually learn that ParkAssist is is illegal in NY (and maybe VT) and the car uses geofencing to inactivate it. Anyone else come across this? Neither the CT nor the NY dealers knew about this until I brought it to their attention, and only recently is there is a disclaimer on the Porsche build website that the feature may not be avavilable in all states.
Sounds like a confused story.

Standard offering is Porsche Park Assist (sensors and rear camera) - all new cars this and i suspect they aren’t "banned'.

Are you referring to Remote Park Assist - if so have they also banned Teslas and Mercedes with the same feature...no i didn't think so?

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

TaycanIsForLovers

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
Sounds like a confused story.

Standard offering is Porsche Park Assist (sensors and rear camera) - all new cars this and i suspect they aren’t "banned'.

Are you referring to Remote Park Assist - if so have they also banned Teslas and Mercedes with the same feature...no i didn't think so?
Yes, remote park assist. No clue why the Porsche version is geofenced while similar versions from other brands seem unaffected. Yes a confused story for sure, and one I imagine affects a fair number of folks. Dealerships seem mum and or unaware, until now.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, remote park assist. No clue why the Porsche version is geofenced while similar versions from other brands seem unaffected. Yes a confused story for sure, and one I imagine affects a fair number of folks. Dealerships seem mum and or unaware, until now.
In terms of Porsche my guess is (if true) limited folk are impacted as I doubt it is a popular option and unreliable at best. If it has been disabled then I suspect that's due to reliability issues - I seem to remember it being suspended a while back.

I remain sceptical overall.

OP
OP

TaycanIsForLovers

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
In terms of Porsche my guess is (if true) limited folk are impacted as I doubt it is a popular option and unreliable at best. If it has been disabled then I suspect that's due to reliability issues - I seem to remember it being suspended a while back.

I remain sceptical overall.
Porsche Taycan Park assist function illegal and does not work in New York State - buyer beware! 1656796070049

OP
OP

TaycanIsForLovers

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
I stand corrected - most odd.

There are other features bundled with this option are they restricted too - 3D view, rear cross traffic alert etc?
Just the remote asssist. Relates to to some NYS law governing autononmous drive modes but not sure why Porsche's version falls under the restriction.
Sponsored