f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have a question for Porsche engineering people.

I know that PDCC has active links in the ARBs to allow correction of roll.

What I have assumed is that these active links are effectively disconnected when there is no lateral “G” so the ride will be better with PDCC as well as the roll being reduced because that would give lower single wheel rates.

Is this the case? Are the links “slack” when the car is on straights or is it effectively just normal ARBs apart from cornering.

As an engineer who worked in motor racing I would have assumed effectively disconnecting the links would be the case, but sufficient people, not engineers though, have told me that it just makes the car stiffer.

This is an important question for me because I am sure with my limited driving talent the cornering improvement won’t be a big deal but with the dire roads around here a better ride would be most welcome.
It is a quite expensive option I may well not benefit from if the ARBs remain in play on straights.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Not an engineer, a mere scientist :), but in this Panamera article they seem to infer ‘temporary’ activation of the electromagnetic controlled ARBs which I’d have to assume are the same or better in the Taycan (I do have PDCC on mine).

Not a specific answer to your question but just sharing the link for those interested but less familiar - there has got to be an equivalent technical article on the Taycan’s PDCC implementation someone will share.

https://www.porsche.com/internation...gazine/archive/380/articleoverview/article15/

More generally referenced on page 41 here but also the preceding page in respect systems integration and the “4D” chassis control.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jc...8b845e321/PAG_Taycan_Technology_PM_EN.pdf.PDF

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I have a question for Porsche engineering people.

I know that PDCC has active links in the ARBs to allow correction of roll.

What I have assumed is that these active links are effectively disconnected when there is no lateral “G” so the ride will be better with PDCC as well as the roll being reduced because that would give lower single wheel rates.

Is this the case? Are the links “slack” when the car is on straights or is it effectively just normal ARBs apart from cornering.

As an engineer who worked in motor racing I would have assumed effectively disconnecting the links would be the case, but sufficient people, not engineers though, have told me that it just makes the car stiffer.

This is an important question for me because I am sure with my limited driving talent the cornering improvement won’t be a big deal but with the dire roads around here a better ride would be most welcome.
It is a quite expensive option I may well not benefit from if the ARBs remain in play on straights.
Thanks for raising this. My assumption is that when the PDCC system isn’t energized (no lateral loads detected) that the overall suspension would provide a slight increase in compliance…at least compared to the exact same suspension setup without PDCC.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for raising this. My assumption is that when the PDCC system isn’t energized (no lateral loads detected) that the overall suspension would provide a slight increase in compliance…at least compared to the exact same suspension setup without PDCC.
That has been my assumption and expectation too.
It is an expensive option and I am wondering whether it is a waste of money for me, I haven’t chosen quite a few less expensive options for not being worth it!

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
That has been my assumption and expectation too.
It is an expensive option and I am wondering whether it is a waste of money for me, I haven’t chosen quite a few less expensive options for not being worth it!
For me, it is very likely worth it. I never launch my car but often push it to the limit in the corners. I like how Porsche’s behave at the limits.

Reactions: B61

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not an engineer, a mere scientist :), but in this Panamera article they seem to infer ‘temporary’ activation of the electromagnetic controlled ARBs which I’d have to assume are the same or better in the Taycan (I do have PDCC on mine).

Not a specific answer to your question but just sharing the link for those interested but less familiar - there has got to be an equivalent technical article on the Taycan’s PDCC implementation someone will share.

https://www.porsche.com/internation...gazine/archive/380/articleoverview/article15/

More generally referenced on page 41 here but also the preceding page in respect systems integration and the “4D” chassis control.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jc...8b845e321/PAG_Taycan_Technology_PM_EN.pdf.PDF
Thank you, that certainly implies the ARBs are disconnected until needed on Panamera and I can’t see why the Taycan wouldn’t be the same.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So probably as I expected and worth keeping :)
Sponsored