periodic "spongy" brakes. that don't stop. if i die please have my family sue Porsche

OP
OP
bluegrassvroom

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
@bluegrassvroom
I may have missed it in earlier posts. Have you done your braking test after driving through standing water with braking recuperation enabled? If so, do either of the two problems still occur:
--regen braking not occurring
--needing to floor the brake pedal to get mechanical brake to stop the car?
In other words, is driving with brake recuperation enabled a workaround for the problem?
great question. I THINK i tried this. but my overall drive mode is regen OFF (although for the last 6 months i turn it on when backing out of the driveway). i'm 80% sure on my days of doing U-turns through puddles i enabled that and it didn't do anything - but next downpour day i'll try it specifically
Sponsored

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm sure you ve already tried it but asking nevertheless: what happens when you pump the brake pedal as soon as you feel the spongy brakes?

OP
OP
bluegrassvroom

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm sure you ve already tried it but asking nevertheless: what happens when you pump the brake pedal as soon as you feel the spongy brakes?
someone said it in another post this week well - in a real circumstance when this happens - you're caught off guard and it's tough to remember to do things (such as this). Even driving around in a situation to replicate this - my brain, even when expecting it to happen is like IT'S HAPPENING instead of "ok now pump the brakes again." You just lose precious seconds with that short freak-out

so to answer your question - i'm not sure. I'll add that to my TO DO LIST when i can drive through puddles next time.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
great question. I THINK i tried this. but my overall drive mode is regen OFF (although for the last 6 months i turn it on when backing out of the driveway). i'm 80% sure on my days of doing U-turns through puddles i enabled that and it didn't do anything - but next downpour day i'll try it specifically
The regen that you can switch on and off is not related to the regen from the brake pedal. It is more like lifting off in an ICE car than coasting.

Very strange behaviour if you repeatedly have this result and Porsche service can not find anything wrong with the brakes??

When you say the brake pedal is very soft, does it go all the way down to the floor?? Or is it just spongy?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
To me a spongy brake pedal means one the following:

• Brake fluid bad
  • Brake fluid low
  • Brake fluid leaking
  • Problem with master cylinder
Get it fixed. If the dealer says nothing is wrong, change dealers.
Sponsored