First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan cross turismo
Country flag
Hi guys,
I'm currently ordering my taycan cross turismo and while researching available options I'm trying to understand if I should buy the PMCC (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) or not, and how do you guys control the charging profiles for your taycans. So here it goes:

1. If my research is correct, the current taycan models come as standard with Porsche Mobile Charger Plus which has a basic setting of 50% or 100% and no internet connectivity. In theory I'm thinking that I would place this charger on the wall in my garage and control the charge profiles from the car itself or from the porsche connect app. Is this true ? Can you communicate with your car remotely and change the profiles with this basic charge system ?
I'm thinking that probably most of you keep at home a profile where the car charges itself until 80% and that's it. But maybe during the weekend you would want to do a longer trip and on friday I would go into the porsche connect app and change the profile so that on saturday morning the car has 100% charge. Is this correct ?

2. My understanding of Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is that it has a fancy screen and you can charge at more than 11kw (but that's something that I don't really need for my home). What I don't really understand about it's WIFI feature is: how does this influence the profiles that you would set from the car or from the porsche connect app. It feels like PMCC doesn't do anything really if you can communicate directly with the car. OR do I need PMCC to change the charge profiles of my car ? I would really like to be able to remotely say that only tomorrow I need the car to be 100% ready in the morning.

3. What are the charging profiles that you use for your cars ? Maybe I'm overthinking it too much, and in real life it's much easier to setup a generic profile.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hi guys,
I'm currently ordering my taycan cross turismo and while researching available options I'm trying to understand if I should buy the PMCC (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect) or not, and how do you guys control the charging profiles for your taycans. So here it goes:

1. If my research is correct, the current taycan models come as standard with Porsche Mobile Charger Plus which has a basic setting of 50% or 100% and no internet connectivity. In theory I'm thinking that I would place this charger on the wall in my garage and control the charge profiles from the car itself or from the porsche connect app. Is this true ? Can you communicate with your car remotely and change the profiles with this basic charge system ?
I'm thinking that probably most of you keep at home a profile where the car charges itself until 80% and that's it. But maybe during the weekend you would want to do a longer trip and on friday I would go into the porsche connect app and change the profile so that on saturday morning the car has 100% charge. Is this correct ?

2. My understanding of Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is that it has a fancy screen and you can charge at more than 11kw (but that's something that I don't really need for my home). What I don't really understand about it's WIFI feature is: how does this influence the profiles that you would set from the car or from the porsche connect app. It feels like PMCC doesn't do anything really if you can communicate directly with the car. OR do I need PMCC to change the charge profiles of my car ? I would really like to be able to remotely say that only tomorrow I need the car to be 100% ready in the morning.

3. What are the charging profiles that you use for your cars ? Maybe I'm overthinking it too much, and in real life it's much easier to setup a generic profile.
I have the PMCC, you really do not need it. stick with the less costly model, it will fill your needs

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
PMC Plus will be fine - if you really really want something better I’d look for a non-porsche solution - Porsche charges too much for their chargers in North America - I’m assuming that’s also true in the rest of the world.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I use a third party and use it exactly how you describe at home. Charge to 85% via the general profile and use the Connect app to switch on direct charging to get to 100%. When I visit my parents, I use the PMCC but still follow the same process and don’t use the advanced features of the PMCC. I only got it because of the limitations at the time I placed my order. Otherwise I would have stuck the default option.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi guys,

PMC+ has a wired ethernet connection.

Charging profiles are set in the car via the PCM and / or via My Porsche website or Porsche Connect App - not on PMC+ or PMCC.

Depending on your electrical supply the max flow you'll get from the PMC+ is around 7.4kW - 9.6kW on a single phase supply (32A - 240V - UK) and exactly the same on the PMCC. Remember, the charging is performed by the onboard AC (or DC) charger in the car and not the PMC+ or PMCC (these devices simply control the electrical supply and make it safe).

PMCC (in UK) will support 3 phase electrical supply for 11kW and 22kW charging (latter requires the onboard 22kW AC charger to be optioned). I believe it is less in US and maxes out at 19.6kW (but check).

The touch screen on the PMCC is a nice to have and there is WiFi connectivity plus a hotspot option (if no WiFi for direct connect with your phone).

PMC+ is lighter (more portable) and performs precisely the same task as PMCC (or any other charging unit). PMCC is way over-priced for what it is.

The WiFi feature simply allows your device to be connected to your home internet and can pick up firmware updates for the device and not the car (there has been 1 in 7 months). It has its own web server / interface which allows remote configuration and other integration options which you are likely never to use or need.

As long as you have connectivity to the car (via the other methods mentioned above) then remote control of charging (timers, profiles etc) will always be available to you and you won't be missing out on anything.
Sponsored