PMCC Overheating when done charging?!

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1 Series F20, BMW X3 G01, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hey guys,
I tried setting a timer to charge my Taycan to 85% overnight.
The charging was done at 7AM, however I came in to check the car at around 2PM and found out that the PMCC is very hot and an error is shown on the screen.
I've seen multiple posts about this issue, but usually the overheating happens for most people when charging and not when the charging has already finished.
What do you guys recommend?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
don’t use the PMCC - i had other EVSE from previous EVs - i use non Porsche chargers

OP
OP
Razor

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My garage is getting warmer these months, probably around 35°C, but that shouldn't be a problem for any EVSE (including PMCC) when NOT charging.
What EVSE do you use? I prefer something mobile for long road trips.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla UMC gen2 w/TeslaTap - 32 amps - small - light - excellent selection of NEMA adapters and doesn’t over heat

at home i use clipper creek HCS-60

Shaf

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 Allroad
Country flag
Hey guys,
The charging was done at 7AM, however I came in to check the car at around 2PM and found out that the PMCC is very hot and an error is shown on the screen.
I've seen multiple posts about this issue, but usually the overheating happens for most people when charging and not when the charging has already finished.
I had the same problem. My charging cable was getting very hot at the car plug. Over 130 degrees and most likely causing the error. My cable was replaced under warranty and it runs 30/40 degrees cooler. No more errors, problem solved. I think this is a known problem.

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey guys,
I set my PMCC charger to max out at 32 amps max. Seems to stop the overheating issue 100%.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey guys,
Excellent EVSE and I've not experienced any overheating (16 months). I have a 32A supply to my 22kW PMCC to feed 7.4kW to the car.

Sounds like there may be a cabling issue and worth getting that checked. Start with the EVSE to car cable.

OP
OP
Razor

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the same problem. My charging cable was getting very hot at the car plug. Over 130 degrees and most likely causing the error. My cable was replaced under warranty and it runs 30/40 degrees cooler. No more errors, problem solved. I think this is a known problem.
I set my PMCC charger to max out at 32 amps max. Seems to stop the overheating issue 100%.
Excellent EVSE and I've not experienced any overheating (16 months). I have a 32A supply to my 22kW PMCC to feed 7.4kW to the car.

Sounds like there may be a cabling issue and worth getting that checked. Start with the EVSE to car cable.
But again, the car is NOT charging, the PMCC finished the charging session at 7AM and I came to check the car at 2PM (cable still plugged to the car) and I found that is very hot.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
But again, the car is NOT charging, the PMCC finished the charging session at 7AM and I came to check the car at 2PM (cable still plugged to the car) and I found that is very hot.
Yes precisely - get it checked out as current is clearly going through it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
North American PMCC unit's seem to have more issues than International ones…

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey guys,
Don't go spend a bunch of money for another charger! Its fixable.

It's the pigtail from the PMCC to the wall...Porsche provided a cable that doesn't handle the current and throws that code. I replaced mine with an earlier version that was rated correctly and the problem is solved. This is EASILY solved with

Porsche recognizes and is aware of the miss match (it's on the labelling!) but they just don't seem to care.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
North American PMCC unit's seem to have more issues than International ones…
That might be because of the amperage. Those of us having overheating issues in North America typically have dedicated 50 Amp circuits feeding 40 Amps at 240 volts through the PMCC. That results in my power cable going from the NEMA 14-50 outlet into the PMCC getting uncomfortably hot, particularly when in the Porsche charging dock and during warmer garage months. I understand that those who have dialed their PMCCs down to 32 Amps (7.68kWh max) vs 9.6kWh are not having any overheating issues at all. @W1NGE mentioned having a 32A supply to his PMCC. Is 40A residential delivery not as common in Europe?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That might be because of the amperage. Those of us having overheating issues in North America typically have dedicated 50 Amp circuits feeding 40 Amps at 240 volts through the PMCC. That results in my power cable going from the NEMA 14-50 outlet into the PMCC getting uncomfortably hot, particularly when in the Porsche charging dock and during warmer garage months. I understand that those who have dialed their PMCCs down to 32 Amps (7.68kWh max) vs 9.6kWh are not having any overheating issues at all. @W1NGE mentioned having a 32A supply to his PMCC. Is 40A residential delivery not as common in Europe?
UK - 32A is the norm for a single phase home domestic supply.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For the US market, if you replace the cable to an earlier version the rating is higher and therefore doesn't overheat. You can run it at the full amperage. Being told to address it by lowering the charge doesn't sit well with me. It feels like being told not to press on the gas pedal so much if the engine stutters during take off.

Like I indicated earlier, Porsche has a way of fixing this but instead choose to pretend it doesn't exist. Why they would release this unit and then provide a cable that doesn't match the specs? Its poor QC and unfortunately adds it to the list or dysfunction in the roll out of the Taycan that they are just ironing out now (we hope) with s/w updates etc.

This issue, which remains a problem, could have so easily been addressed.
Sponsored