Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Has anyone used the new Pod-Point Charge Scheduling feature which has been introduced into the Pod-Point App for EV owners with a Pod-Point Solo Smart Charger at home?

It appears you can now input a daily charge schedule (Monday - Sunday) into the app so you can charge the car during 'off-peak' hours with a dual-rate electricity tariff.

I'm with Octopus Energy on their 'Octopus Go' plan meaning I benefit from a reduced tariff between 00:30 and 04:30 daily.

The app says to deactivate any charge schedule on the car as not to compete with the Pod-Point. As such am I right in thinking that if I set the Taycan:
  • With a 'General Profile' so that car only has a 'Minimum State of Charge' of 85% daily.
  • No Timer
  • 'Optimised Charging' active
  • Set the Pod-Point to charge say between 22:00 and 08:00 daily (it's a 7KW charger and I would rarely drop below 25% state of charge)
I could coordinate the car to charge at the lower KW/ph rate and up to 85% whenever I chose to charge the Taycan?

Any advice, views or anyone who's done something similar who could share their experience would be great.
Sponsored

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also have a pod-point and got the notification they have introduced scheduled timing.

I’ve not switched to Octopus Go yet, It’s in progress but will take a few more weeks so I’ve not setup any EV cheap charging yet.

I guess the question is- were is best to set a timer?
  • The Charger Timer?
  • The Taycan Timer?
  • Both? Despite Pod-Point saying not to do it?
What, if any would help with the *potential* 12v Battery concerns – my 21 4S has had the latest software update.

For those with other EV Chargers that have timers built in what do you do?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No.

Disable any charge profile / timer you have as this will confuse.

Profile with minimum state of charge (SOC) means "immediately charge the car to 85%" and not "don't charge more than 85%" so be careful.

All of this (daily, repeatable schedule with off peak times) can be achieved with your Porsche charger so why aren't you using it instead?

To avoid potential 12v issue don't leave any charger connected for more than 72 hours and if using a Porsche charger ensure network connection PLC is disabled.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I also have a pod-point and got the notification they have introduced scheduled timing.

I’ve not switched to Octopus Go yet, It’s in progress but will take a few more weeks so I’ve not setup any EV cheap charging yet.

I guess the question is- were is best to set a timer?
  • The Charger Timer?
  • The Taycan Timer?
  • Both? Despite Pod-Point saying not to do it?
What, if any would help with the *potential* 12v Battery concerns – my 21 4S has had the latest software update.

For those with other EV Chargers that have timers built in what do you do?
I don't understand why you aren't using the supplied Porsche charger - better integration with the Porsche Connect App.

If using other 3rd party device and app then don't use a hybrid mix of profiles and timers. One or the other - Porsche or non-Porsche.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t use it as i don’t park my car in a garage it sits on the drive outside, yes I could have purchased the Porsche outside dock but it’s quite big and the cost of it vs having another separate dedicated charger were negligible.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok but the PMC+ (Free with the car) and PMCC are IP55 rated and the Pod is IP54 and so offer more exterior protection without the dock.

Just curious.

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
I have a third party charger at home and Octopus Go, I have opted to have the car manage the schedule rather than the charger the main reason was I can manage it all from a single app, instead of having to use two, not a massive difference but every little helps.

OP
OP

Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't understand why you aren't using the supplied Porsche charger - better integration with the Porsche Connect App.

If using other 3rd party device and app then don't use a hybrid mix of profiles and timers. One or the other - Porsche or non-Porsche.
As I understand it, the supplied Porsche Mobile Charge Connect only charges at 3.6 KW (29 hours), third-party charges such as the Pod-Point can charge at 7 KW (13 hours) on a single phase supply. This is why I installed the Pod-Point over using the PMCC at home. I've read that the Andersen A2 etc will also charge at 7KW on a single phase supply at home.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No no and no!

Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (STD charger) has a 9.6kW rating. On a single phase 32A supply you will get 7.4 kW charging.

Porsche Mobile Charger Connect on the same circuit will give you precisely the same charge - 7.4kW. on a 3 phase supply it will also be able to provide up to 22kW of charge.

I know because I have one.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car arrives Saturday. Will be using standard charger with car at first however have also ordered a Zappi V2. Waiting for the government grant to come through for it before electrician installs it. At the moment just have a 32amp commando socket installed.

Reason I am going for the Zappi is to keep everything tidy. All will be installed and used outside on drive. Don't have a garage so every time I have have finished charging with the supplied charger I will have to disconnect both ends and put it away somewhere. Which will be inconvenient. With the Zappi I won't have to do this, just wrap the cable up and leave it there.

Could have ordered the Porsche enclosure however would have cost the same after grant.

Also length of cable is shorter and would mean I would have to park the car a certain way. (Forgot to select the free longer cable option!).

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
No no and no!

Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (STD charger) has a 9.6kW rating. On a single phase 32A supply you will get 7.4 kW charging.

Porsche Mobile Charger Connect on the same circuit will give you precisely the same charge - 7.4kW. on a 3 phase supply it will also be able to provide up to 22kW of charge.

I know because I have one.
Are you saying the standard free Porsche charger will give you 7kw on standard 3 pin Plug as this contradicts everything I’ve read previously, hence buying a pod point?

Can’t comment to much on the above Q’s but due to me no longer being able to set a profile timer post my software update ( I’ve been charging for 4 months just using a profile between 1230-0430 with no issue until update), I’ve tried tonight he podpoint timer for the first time.

It’s fairly basic. Comes up red at first on the Porsche app saying there’s an issue charging, presumably just the charger holding the current back, then did start to charge at my test time. Don’t think the Porsche app is really sure what’s going on. Got it set for the 4 hours tonight so will see what happens. It is basic using the podpoint timer, using the Porsche integration would be better if it decided to work.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Are you saying the standard free Porsche charger will give you 7kw on standard 3 pin Plug as this contradicts everything I’ve read previously, hence buying a pod point?

Can’t comment to much on the above Q’s but due to me no longer being able to set a profile timer post my software update ( I’ve been charging for 4 months just using a profile between 1230-0430 with no issue until update), I’ve tried tonight he podpoint timer for the first time.

It’s fairly basic. Comes up red at first on the Porsche app saying there’s an issue charging, presumably just the charger holding the current back, then did start to charge at my test time. Don’t think the Porsche app is really sure what’s going on. Got it set for the 4 hours tonight so will see what happens. It is basic using the podpoint timer, using the Porsche integration would be better if it decided to work.
No (that was the first no). In uk you need 32A to give you 7.4kW. 3 pin will give you 3.4kW max.

No one would ever use a 3 pin 13A plug to charge their car....this is the get out of jail option only.

what type of connection do you have from your fuse box?
Sponsored