OP
AMERCY

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Got mine today. Not yet evaluated. It "talks": Starting, Ending, Parking (or so), and it has an relatively easily accessible Micro-SD slot, with a 32 GB card in it.
WiFi Pairing, in a hurry, did not succeed sponateously.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 1621612903130

#1 Mounting
#2 Car cleaning (for free - thank you!)
#3 The Cam
Topping it with 19% VAT
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 1621612928568

Is an overall of 1030 Euro, ca. USD 1244, CHF 1270, 10440 SEK, 1512 CAD, 10519 TRY, 7658 DKK, 5074 LEU

UPDATE
Some Quick-Takes from the Manual
* It claims to have GPS (expected) and Radar (unexpected, for me. Mightjustify the price tag beyond just having the Porsche logo)
* Can be either connected to mobile phone OR to car WiFi Hotspot - only if Connect Plus/Navigation is booked AND Porsche Connect Data Package is booked. (Nice, if it works)
* most relevant IMHO: If the SD card is being taken out, it will be erased upon reinsertion. Hm.

Update
RESOLUTION
This is what windows reports
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 1621689781613

Height 1440, Width 2560
PAIRING 1
Pitfall: The app sees a Wifi SSID "Porsche Dashcam EB8031" or similar. First connect is OK, PW 0123456789. I entered OK on the upcoming dialog and thought: OK, default PW will be fine, while just playing around. BUT: In this very dialog a generated password is being offered as default, supposed to be replaced by users new PW. I just hit OK and did not notice this. Any subsequent WiFi connect would fail, as it still used the 0..9, whereas the Cam was alredy programmed to the generated (and then unknown) PW.
Remedy: Very-long press the button until the beeps are being heard. Will restore defaults.
Then reconnect with the 0..9 default PW, and first thing to do is to either memorize the random PW (good luck) or provide your own PW here. Only then hit OK.(all Android here, but should be similar for iOS)
PAIRING 2
Once within the direct connected configuration, the cam should be able to connect to the cars WiFi. Specifying SSID and PW of the Taycans WiFi. This step never ever succeeded (for me). So as of now, it's only direct connected.
MANUAL
The Porsche Dash Cam app provides a full manual, with even more content than the printed one. You don't need to posses a or to be connected to the piece of hardware.
This very manual also references a back-cam, which can be obtained additionally, with the front cam being pre-req.
SD Card
* Auto-Erase
As mentioned, the manual states that the SD card will be erased upon reinsertion.
Empirically, I can not confirm this. My data have survived different swaps. Might be related to the fact that I did not turn off (as recommended) the cam before extracting the card.
* Max size
not specified. But, based on experience with Garmin, Fiio, DJI devices, that mostly state 64/128 GB and silently always worked with 256 GB (or even 400GB), I'm confident, 256 GB will do fine as well.
I'll order a fresh, ultra-fast 256 SD and report back.
* Funny eater egg search
The SD card is, as with lot's of devices, held in place with a spring. When inserting or extracting, my thumb nail sometimes slips away from the edge of the card. It will be catapulted then into many different locations within the car, easily making it to the back seats as well.
The cam body is mounted on a kind of rail. After pressing a release button, it can be pulled down the rails and completely removed from the wind shield. For me, it is a more safe way to pull the cam off and only then to extract/insert the SD card. It's two steps - may be you have more luck extracting the card directly.

Last edited:

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thank you for your initial impressions.

1. any idea as to the camera resolution?

2. what would the radar be useful for?

3. Is it a regular micro-sd card, and if so, does the manual indicate what the maximum size card the camera allows?

4. Is there any protective measure if someone breaks into your car and takes out the card? (Uploading to cloud for example).

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Its used to reduce power consumption when in parking mode. Rather than having to keep the camera sensor on and look for "activity/movement" – a relatively high cpu activity – it shuts down the camera and activates the radar. When the radar senses movement, it then activates the camera sensor/lens to record the activity.

OP
OP
AMERCY

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Thank you for your initial impressions.

1. any idea as to the camera resolution?

3. Is it a regular micro-sd card, and if so, does the manual indicate what the maximum size card the camera allows?

4. Is there any protective measure if someone breaks into your car and takes out the card? (Uploading to cloud for example).
Regarding "SD Card size":
Porsche Taycan Porsche Dashcam - What did I miss? 1621943395576

Swapped the original one with this. Formatting thru App. Checked recorded files. Seems fine.
"protective measure"
Not to my knowing. I not even can imagine how this could be reasonably done. Even if connected to the internet (which should be possible, but I didn't succeed yet) it would require to continuously upstream tons (metric/imperial - does not matter here) of data. The Porsche plan just permits 7GB of DL monthly, nothing on upload, but I think this would not hold.
Camera resolution and other info - please see my updated previous post.
Sponsored