Porsche Dealer Loaner Car Obligation in warranty scenario… a question (USA)

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
So…. I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer.
In the scenario of a CPO warranty matter - where the dealer has to keep the car for some time - is providing a loaner an obligation or a perk?

For the life of me - until today I had always believed it was an obligation (and in 40 years Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and Maserati and others have never disappointed me)…..but now I am in discussions with a Porsche dealer in California and the impression I am left with right now is that they believe it is a perk that they “might” try to provision…….

any insights welcome ……
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
From my discussions with other owners and Porsche service, loaners from dealers are a perk (Porsche allows sufficient charge for a particular repair or recall to accommodate a loaner). However, if the car needs to stay with the dealer for a while, particularly waiting for an open slot or for parts, dealers defer to PNCA which apparently might rent you a car (not a Porsche though) through Enterprise or some other rental company. I was told this was happening a lot last winter during heater failures and parts shortages. Taycan heaters are apparently a ticking time bomb. Sadly, I don't live in a cold enough parts of the country to qualify for pre-emptive recall, so will have to fight with PNCA to recover my car, fly me home, and provide me with a rental if the heater dies on one of my road trips.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the area I live in of the United States (MD) I have to make an appointment 6 weeks in advance if I want to get a loaner car for a car under factory warranty. It's ridiculous. I expected more out of Porsche.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
So…. I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer.
In the scenario of a CPO warranty matter - where the dealer has to keep the car for some time - is providing a loaner an obligation or a perk?

For the life of me - until today I had always believed it was an obligation (and in 40 years Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and Maserati and others have never disappointed me)…..but now I am in discussions with a Porsche dealer in California and the impression I am left with right now is that they believe it is a perk that they “might” try to provision…….

any insights welcome ……
If the car is CPO, I’d think you could reasonably expect a loaner, especially with what appears to be a catastrophic failure.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the car is CPO, I’d think you could reasonably expect a loaner, especially with what appears to be a catastrophic failure.
I think it's simple math, more failures than staff/parts/loaners available means no long waits and no loaners. Sad bite of a reality sandwich. :(

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
From what I gather, if the verbiage of the recall as issued by Porsche specifies a replacement vehicle, then the dealer must provide it. Otherwise it is at their discretion. In my experience, a sample set of size 1, the Porsche dealer provided a loaner, even though they could have completed the work in one day.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
thanks everyone - service dept and my SA are all on vacation til Tuesday - tow truck dropped the car off saturday and they called me and that is when i asked about a loaner - i will see how they respond Tuesday - if it is not the dreaded HV battery i may get it back quick in any event …..

They have had many hundreds of thousands of $ from me over the years…. and know they could lose even more point forward if they screw it up - so hopefully that will carry some weight ….(tho the dealership under new ownership recently)….

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
In the area I live in of the United States (MD) I have to make an appointment 6 weeks in advance if I want to get a loaner car for a car under factory warranty. It's ridiculous. I expected more out of Porsche.
Not really, depends on the dealer. We had the heater go out over a weekend in early December. Called dealer in the morning, and we dropped the car off same day and received a loaner.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not really, depends on the dealer. We had the heater go out over a weekend in early December. Called dealer in the morning, and we dropped the car off same day and received a loaner.
Maybe you don't live in the same area? I tried calling the four closest dealers and 6 weeks was the earliest I can get an appointment with a loaner. I'm in Bethesda...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From what I gather, if the verbiage of the recall as issued by Porsche specifies a replacement vehicle, then the dealer must provide it. Otherwise it is at their discretion. In my experience, a sample set of size 1, the Porsche dealer provided a loaner, even though they could have completed the work in one day.
If you need the car for a few days, no problem, though some scheduling ahead may be required. When cars needed weeks or months while waiting for heaters last winter, dealers deferred to PCNA.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
It really depends on the dealer you purchased from. In my area, there are two Porsche dealerships. One is smaller, and they regularly offer me a loaner, and I can get appointments the same or the next week. I don't take them up on it, as they pick the car up from my house and return it when the service is finished. The bigger dealer sells a LOT more Porsches and has a lot bigger stock. It is more of a perk as described above, and the appointments are harder to get.
Sponsored