Porsche has changed its internet radio service provider - Many more internet stations available!!

martino

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Just letting everyone know that the new internet radio service provider seems to be online.

HOWEVER - your existing internet radio stations that you saved won't work after the change.
You have to manually delete the existing saved stations then search and re-save all your favourite stations.

It would have been more convenient if Porsche planned a way to migrate saved stations.
It would have been even nicer if Porsche communicated the change to customers instead of just to their dealers.

The good news is that many stations that were previously unaccessible are now available through the internet radio service.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Useful post....
I had lost my favourite station - which was a real pain as I listen to it all the time and know some of the djs on there.

But I found it, with a slightly different strap line and pic on the new service.
I then searched for another station I couldn't previously get and it is now available too.
👌

OP
OP

martino

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes, I found the same with most of the stations I listen to.

I wish they had just implemented Tune In radio like on the Teslas. It's a brilliant service and has what seems to be the biggest collection of internet radio stations.

Porsche seem to route everything back through their servers in Germany which is a less than ideal approach.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Just letting everyone know that the new internet radio service provider seems to be online.

HOWEVER - your existing internet radio stations that you saved won't work after the change.
You have to manually delete the existing saved stations then search and re-save all your favourite stations.

It would have been more convenient if Porsche planned a way to migrate saved stations.
It would have been even nicer if Porsche communicated the change to customers instead of just to their dealers.

The good news is that many stations that were previously unaccessible are now available through the internet radio service.
I doubt Porsche has anything to do with it.
Sometimes internet radio providers change things, like adding more stations, change names or just change stream IDs...

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Here in the UK I use DAB radio in my car including (I think) the Taycan. Mainly BBC Radio 4 and Classic FM :)
I may try the internet stations if I remember to have a go before I set off. Usually I am driving when i remember then it isn’t feasible.

Any recommendations?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I don't use internet radio cuz netwerk reception is pretty poor or not consistent in my Taycan/netwerk.
At least, it used to be.
Maybe it's better after the uPdate, don't know.
Anyway, DAB is independant from internet reception so I always have used that and why not, it's not as compressed as Internet radio if I'm not mistaken...

OP
OP

martino

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Here in the UK I use DAB radio in my car including (I think) the Taycan. Mainly BBC Radio 4 and Classic FM :)
I may try the internet stations if I remember to have a go before I set off. Usually I am driving when i remember then it isn’t feasible.

Any recommendations?
You can search for internet radio stations any time while driving. They're no different to searching for DAB stations, only the range is much bigger and often the quality is much higher.

I'd encourage you to give it a go. I only listen to internet radio and have found it a much better service than terrestrial radio based services.

OP
OP

martino

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I don't use internet radio cuz netwerk reception is pretty poor or not consistent in my Taycan/netwerk.
At least, it used to be.
Maybe it's better after the uPdate, don't know.
Anyway, DAB is independant from internet reception so I always have used that and why not, it's not as compressed as Internet radio if I'm not mistaken...
Dee - I only listen to internet radio because I found the audio quality to be superior to FM & DAB.

Internet radio station providers get to pick their audio stream bit rates. Early on many stations only used low bit rates codecs because internet capacity was limited. These days you can get great quality high bit rates streams from the internet which deliver a much higher audio quality.

Regarding reception - I suppose this differs by country, but generally the telephone carriers invest far more in bandwidth than radio stations do. I do a lot of country driving and quickly lose coverage from the terrestrial stations, where as internet through the mobile carriers works well no matter where I am.

I'd encourage you to give internet radio stations a go, there is so much variety and so many great stations. Once I got hooked, I never went back to local broadcasts.

Reactions: Dee

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Any recommendations?
You can do quite specific searches and just see what comes up. I quite enjoy hunting out new stations if I'm ever waiting in the car.
Just hit the search button on the stereo and start typing and see what appears in the list available.

For example I wanted to listen to a bit of Bossa Nova and Samba recently and just typed them in - and got a list of mostly Brazilian stations. Then just give them a listen for a while to find one you like.

Once you find a good one, just hit the star to add it to your favourites. Then it's easy to locate next time you want it.

They vary hugely in what they offer.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Useful post....
I had lost my favourite station - which was a real pain as I listen to it all the time and know some of the djs on there.

But I found it, with a slightly different strap line and pic on the new service.
I then searched for another station I couldn't previously get and it is now available too.
👌
I only got back into my Taycan today after 6 weeks trip by airplanes.

Two mishaps so far.

1. The dreaded 12 volt battery drain is still there. The car was completely DEAD!

2. All the stored internet stations did not work at all. And even more problematic is that now NONE of the BBC stations work any longer. We have e become very used to listening to BBC all the time, but now BBC stations do not appear in the listing for the U.K. any longer?

Is there anybody else in Europe that has the same experience or is it just my car. I can find a lot of other stations in the U.K. but no BBC. Whether the online radio service show more stations or not, I can not judge. I have heard that BBC wants to change to their BBC Sounds app rather than prpviding an internet station. Any experiences ???

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I only got back into my Taycan today after 6 weeks trip by airplanes.

Two mishaps so far.

1. The dreaded 12 volt battery drain is still there. The car was completely DEAD!

2. All the stored internet stations did not work at all. And even more problematic is that now NONE of the BBC stations work any longer. We have e become very used to listening to BBC all the time, but now BBC stations do not appear in the listing for the U.K. any longer?

Is there anybody else in Europe that has the same experience or is it just my car. I can find a lot of other stations in the U.K. but no BBC. Whether the online radio service show more stations or not, I can not judge. I have heard that BBC wants to change to their BBC Sounds app rather than prpviding an internet station. Any experiences ???
BBC stations work in the UK (not sure if on DAB and Internet though)?

But there were other reports on here that they no longer work in other parts of Europe.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
AFAIK the BBC have removed internet access to their stations except through BBC Sounds.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag

Like one of the other members, I just came back after weeks of travel. I lost my favorite online Dutch stations (BNR, Candlelight, Arrow, etc.) but thanks to your suggestions, removing them as favorites and searching for them again brought them back.

Something else has changed though: before, listing online stations by country would be in alphabetical order (and probably stop at the letter D or E or so, as the list seems to have a limit) and now, they are randomly sorted - and the list is still short.... Haven't found a way to customize that, but doesn't really matter. Knock on wood, I haven't lost my favorites in a while.

On the quality of Online Radio, I believe it all depends on what the Porsche service does with the signal - they could be downsampling everything to MP3 128 as they pay for the SIM card (cellular data service) in the car (ok they might recover it through a Connect Service). As all Internet traffic seems to go through their servers, there is no way of knowing what you get - unless you can really hear the difference. In my experience, it doesn't seem to be worse than the overall audio experience in the car (I have a Bose). Maybe someone with a Burmester and a High Definition source on USB-C can advise? Or does anyone have a spec of the technical set-up?
Sponsored