PPF and radar detectors — warranty violations?

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
My car is supposed to arrive in late June. I am trying to do a little forward planning.

First, as to paint protection film. Nick Murray is a big believer, as are many members on this very helpful forum. Are there particular areas that should not be covered so as not to void the warranty? I’m thinking of areas containing sensors or cameras, like the front fascia.

Second, I have a laser/radar detector installed on my current 911. I use this solely to guard against inadvertently exceeding the speed limit! With the Taycan, I get the impression that even staring too fixedly at the dashboard would cause the vehicle to accelerate, and you would be at 100 mph in no time. I would like to permanently install one of these radar/laser units on the Taycan. Other than a unit to be hung from the mirror somehow or affixed to the wind screen by suction cups, does a permanent install risk warrany violation? I am a bit concerned myself, as the installers will be fiddling with the electrics.

Your thoughts and comments much appreciated.

Steve
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
No warranty issues with PPF. Cover as much as is in your budget.

By permanent install you mean built-in radar system with sensors in the front and rear bumpers? The really aren't permanent as they can be removed without damage to OE components. An experienced installer should be able to tap 12V power without modifying and crucial electrical components. My Porsche dealer offers K40 and similar radar system installs and stands by their work with zero warranty implications.

For me, I use blendmount mount kit and power tap utilizing the interior rearview mirror for power.