PPF on the Panoramic Glass Roof?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Has anyone as yet had their panoramic roof covered in something like STEK or XPEL?

Having now read of a number of posters talk of rock chips scratching/denting the roof glass on long road trips etc. I am almost certainly going to do this. I've used Xpel on a number of cars with great effect and whilst can be an expensive option and not really a value proposition to some, I like my front without that pebble-dashed look :)! With so much road construction in Houston presently its a must for me.

I plan to do both the windshield and the roof and was curious to see any pics of the roof in particular with one of these products installed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have exoshield on my windshield but didn’t bother with the pano roof.

I did tint all glass including the pano. It keeps the cabin nice and cool.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My installer put STEK DYNOflex on my windshield just before I took an 1,100 mile road trip through summer construction zones. I had a couple of loud rock impacts that resulted in no damage. I asked about putting the film on the panoramic roof, and he said it would be a waste of money given the high cost of the film and low likelihood of rock damage to the roof. This is more expensive and harder to cut than PPF. A windshield install is about $900 and most of that is the cost of the film.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have exoshield on my windshield but didn’t bother with the pano roof.

I did tint all glass including the pano. It keeps the cabin nice and cool.
I've got ceramic tint all round as a freebie in my order - what % transparency did you do? Planning 35%. The STEK products seem to be highly rated for effectiveness but especially transparency (don't recall it as a common option when I did my M4 back in 2016). Any issues with Exoshield in respect say HUD display? Is that application also heat retardant?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My installer put STEK DYNOflex on my windshield just before I took an 1,100 mile road trip through summer construction zones. I had a couple of loud rock impacts that resulted in no damage. I asked about putting the film on the panoramic roof, and he said it would be a waste of money given the high cost of the film and low likelihood of rock damage to the roof. This is much more expensive and harder to cut than PPF. A windshield install is about $900 and most of that is the cost of the film.
Wow - knew it was pricey but had yet to get a quote - that is not cheap but good to see it worked! Indeed the few reports of roof glass damage may well be the very rare exceptions as tend to get reported in Forums - but def got my interest in researching it more!
Xpel's software is a leader in respect cuts - wonder if their film might be slightly less to install?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Wow - knew it was pricey but had yet to get a quote - that is not cheap but good to see it worked! Indeed the few reports of roof glass damage may well be the very rare exceptions as tend to get reported in Forums - but def got my interest in researching it more!
Xpel's software is a leader in respect cuts - wonder if their film might be slightly less to install?
Here is a link to XPel website with cost for film.

https://www.xpel.com/product/307710

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I've got ceramic tint all round as a freebie in my order - what % transparency did you do? Planning 35%. The STEK products seem to be highly rated for effectiveness but especially transparency (don't recall it as a common option when I did my M4 back in 2016). Any issues with Exoshield in respect say HUD display? Is that application also heat retardant?
No problem with the HUD. That was one of my questions as well. The HUD reflects off the glass just the same. The exoshield was $500 installed. It is not heat retardant. That’s what the tint is for. Exoshield is on the outside; tint is on the inside.

I’d have to go back to paperwork, but I think I did 35% as well. It matches the front windows, and 35% is the legal limit. I did have to get my doctor to sign a form and send it in to the VA DMV to make the windshield tint legal.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My installer put STEK DYNOflex on my windshield just before I took an 1,100 mile road trip through summer construction zones. I had a couple of loud rock impacts that resulted in no damage. I asked about putting the film on the panoramic roof, and he said it would be a waste of money given the high cost of the film and low likelihood of rock damage to the roof. This is more expensive and harder to cut than PPF. A windshield install is about $900 and most of that is the cost of the film.
I have STEK windshield film as well. Entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. After ~1000 miles from new and already got a small divot in the film. It helps and is worth it for peace of mind and mot having to replace a pricey windshield. Worst case, peel it off after a few years and install fresh film.

That said, my Tesla got a chip in the roof glass after a few months from flying debris.
Sponsored