NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hello everyone! Real good to be here. Got lucky and secured a very nice brand new 2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo over the weekend from dealer inventory. The person who ordered the car walked away and I came up with the Tycan in my hands for MSRP, after some crafty negotiations.

I am excited (and a bit nervous) switching to an EV but really feel that this is the future and now if the time for me to make the transition. I am coming from a Cayenne Turbo Coupe. Love the SUV but can’t stand stopping at the gas stations any more. And who can argue with the CT’s 4S’s good looks, especially in Mamba Green :)

Of course I am going to install a level 2 charger at my home, but also plan to use some of the included Electrify America subscription which is included in the car’s purchase price. I know that 350 kW chargers are preferable but close to home are several 150 kW chargers which are 2-3 minutes from my house. Given the 30 minute charge limit per session, what could I expect in charge results if I visit these to top off from time to time?

My car has most all of the options I would have included in a build, but a few are easy to switch and other are more difficult. For example, the car has the amazing Cross Turismo 21” wheels but was ordered with summer tires. I am in NJ and winters are not great here, and the temps drop quickly below 40 degrees. I am having the dealer mount all seasons and send me the summers as well. Perhaps I will pickup a second set of wheels and make use of all of the rubber. The car was optioned in high gloss black for window trim, door handles, etc. but the inlays on the lower trim remain silver. Anyone know if these can be easily switched to high gloss black? I suspect the silver will likely grow on me as it picks up the aluminum pedals and door sills.

Also, it was not built with the power charging port doors, but the more I look at the car, I am liking the cleaner lines, and as others have said, likely one less thing to break. Assume this would be a tough retrofit?

The car has all of the righ options where it counts, Mamba Green, Performace Package, Premium Package, Technology Package and Burmester sound (first time not getting Bose). It also has PSCB, puddle lights, full leather in Limestone Beige and Black and some nice features like 2+1 seating, thermal and noise insulated glass, rear seat heating and 4 zone climate. All of which I would have ordered if I was able to get an allocation. Good luck with that, was not paying 20% over MSRP.

Test drove a used 4S CT and was blown away by the performance and the quiet sound of sailing down the road. And the Porsche sport sound is cool too! I guess my biggest fear is range anxiety and some of the stories I hear about non-functional fast charges. Don’t want to get stuck as this will be my daily driver.

I have been searching the forum but was hoping current owners can share how many miles the are averaging out of a charge? And from a cost to charge at home standpoint, am I correct that estimating the charge amount is as simple as calculating your electric cost per kWh (delivered), mine is .19 cents and multiply by the 93kWh battery capacity?

Thanks again for allowing me to join the community. I am new and excited to learn and share information with everyone.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I know that 350 kW chargers are preferable but close to home are several 150 kW chargers which are 2-3 minutes from my house. Given the 30 minute charge limit per session, what could I expect in charge results if I visit these to top off from time to time?
Charging at 350kw versus 150kw is a matter of time (if you have the time, it doesn’t matter) and how many miles you drive per day. If you don’t drive much or if you have time, use whichever charger is more convenient.
Example: If you’re at 20% state of charge, a 150kw charger running at its full rate (which never really happens) will take about 30 mins to get to 85% (which is what most of us charge to for daily driving). It will take maybe 12 mins if you’re charging with a 350kw charger.
If you start at 85% and drive to a state of charge of 20%, if you drive like me you’ll drive a bit more than 150 miles. I charge once a week but my commute is around 30 miles round trip. But I don’t go to the office everyday.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
And from a cost to charge at home standpoint, am I correct that estimating the charge amount is as simple as calculating your electric cost per kWh (delivered), mine is .19 cents and multiply by the 93kWh battery capacity?
You most likely never charge from 0 to 100%.
The calculation is more like “what would pay for a 100% charge” and then factor in your actual start and ending state of charge. Example: going from 20% to 85% is 65%.
So, $.19 per kWh x 93kwh = $17 x .65 = $11.50
I spend about $60 per month for charging power and I drive (including weekends) 1,250 miles per month. My power cost is marginally $.195 per kWh.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
You will unlikely get those stated DC charge rates. Example, I charge at Porsche every 2-3 weeks. It's a 350kw charger. I mostly get 100kw. There are several sweat spots. If the battery is hot then 0-20% will get 250kw. If not it's a 80-100kw. I typically charge cold. There's a spot 30-40% where it jumps to 150kw when the battery hits 29/30*c. But it doesn't last for long and then you are 100kw all the way to 90%. If you can precondition the battery before a DC charge and pre heat / pre cool before a charge do so as it will save 5-10 mins getting to the faster rate. The downside of pre heat / pre cool is it doesn't work below 25% which is stoopid.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
1. Power charge doors retrofit would be tricky I think and cost prohibitive if possible.

2. Gloss black inserts aren't available but you can get black brushed aluminium and should be easy to retrofit - zero cost option if originally factory fitted.

3. 350KW EVSEs will give you 270kW max for a limited period and if other conditions are right e.g. ambient temp, battery temp, battery state of charge at the start, no throttling of the EVSE by the provider. Same holds true for any DC EVSE so your 150kW option may end up charging at a similar rate as 270kW. The point here is that the headline numbers are 'potential ' rather than guaranteed for each charging station. Note also that charging speed will slow down dramatically once you get to 85% which is the recommended max for daily charging.

Porsche Taycan Purchased a new 4S Cross Turismo and have a few newbie questions Screenshot_20220621-071017_Porsche Good to know

Reactions: B61

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
2. Gloss black inserts aren't available but you can get black brushed aluminium and should be easy to retrofit - zero cost option if originally factory fitted.
...just to clarify- that applies to the sills, not the external lower side trims (I can't recall the official name).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
...just to clarify- that applies to the sills, not the external lower side trims (I can't recall the official name).
Yes that's right - door sills / tread plates.

I suspect as its a CT the OP means the side skirts, front / rear diffuser / design pack which comes in Vesuvius or black gloss. Cosmetic add-ons in the main and therefore could be changed at a hefty cost!

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Powered charge port not a realistic retrofit, but treadplates in black brushed aluminium definitely possible. I had the illuminated ones fitted - took the dealer most of the day but I think worth it. I normally charge to 85% and see 327km range (approx 200 miles) of mixed city and motorway (freeway) driving,
Sponsored