Question about charging ports.

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have a question about the charging ports on my Taycan.

I note that when I try and use the home charger on the driver side charger port, it doesn’t work (the light in the charging port stays red). I have had the optional extra of the 150kwh charger fitted in the car but am not sure which port this applies to. The passenger port seems to work properly both at home and on public chargers

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
In the US, the DC charging is on the passenger port (right hand side of the car) and the AC is on both sides. I’m not sure if it’s the same in your country.

But regardless, if it’s supposed to charge on AC on both sides in your country also then yes, you should contact the dealer about the issue.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

I note that when I try and use the home charger on the driver side charger port, it doesn’t work (the light in the charging port stays red). I have had the optional extra of the 150kwh charger fitted in the car but am not sure which port this applies to. The passenger port seems to work properly both at home and on public chargers

Should I be concerned?
DC charging always on the passenger side
AC charging on both sides
150kW DC 400V booster option is not connected to this problem (on the surface at least) - this is used for DC charging where the charge point you are using has > 50kW < 150kW and 400V only (your standard DC charger in the car is 50kW 400V, the car uses 800V battery architecture and therefore to charge the voltage needs to be boosted to 800V). Good option to have (whether you use it or not) but not connected to your problem I think. Note that it is not a charger but a DC voltage booster.

It is possible that your AC charge port on the driver's side has failed (happened to me) or requires a reset so don't delay in getting it looked at by your dealer.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Should I be concerned?
I have a similar issue home charging.

Sometimes the drivers side port does work, sometimes it doesn't.

Passenger side works nearly all the time.

Strangely, if I try the Drivers side and it goes red, then try the other side and it works (green) - then quite often if I go back to the drivers side it then does work!

It was booked in to be looked at, but I had to cancel due to the faffing getting back and to to the dealers on the day.

So currently just using the passenger side port.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a similar issue home charging.

Sometimes the drivers side port does work, sometimes it doesn't.

Passenger side works nearly all the time.

Strangely, if I try the Drivers side and it goes red, then try the other side and it works (green) - then quite often if I go back to the drivers side it then does work!

It was booked in to be looked at, but I had to cancel due to the faffing getting back and to to the dealers on the day.

So currently just using the passenger side port.
Remind me but are you guys using non-Porsche EVSE kit for supply?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Should I be concerned?
Also, what EVSE have you got at home?

When I phoned service at the dealership about mine, they said how is it working using the Porsche charger on the 3 pin plug.

I tried it and this worked fine.

They said if the Porsche charger is working fine, it's more likely to be the Evse than the car.

My EVSE is a 'Sync EV'.

I spoke to them about it and they did something behind the scenes with settings and it has improved since then (I would say about 50% success rate now).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Also, what EVSE have you got at home?

When I phoned service at the dealership about mine, they said how is it working using the Porsche charger on the 3 pin plug.

I tried it and this worked fine.

They said if the Porsche charger is working fine, it's more likely to be the Evse than the car.

My EVSE is a 'Sync EV'.

I spoke to them about it and they did something behind the scenes with settings and it has improved since then (I would say about 50% success rate now).
One thing to try if not already done so is to ensure your EVSE kit has the latest software / firmware updates and remove any of its timer / control logic that you may have enabled (just rely on Porsche's Profiles & Timers to help troubleshoot).

Whilst EVSEs should be car agnostic it's clear that not all are and some have temporary / semi-permanent annoying features whilst others just work.
Sponsored