Rear facing baby seats?

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Hi guys, has anyone tried putting rear facing baby seats in the Taycan? Does it even work or are the rear seats too inclined so baby head drops down?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I've used the one linked below often to take my 20-month-old grandson for rides. Works very well for me. I recommend underlining it with the dog seat cover in the second link. Keeps feet off of the beautiful animal-free Taycan rear backrest and the front seat backs, and also catches baby's spilled crumbs/drinks. Even more importantly, it keeps the baby seat bottom edges from scuffing the Taycan's seat material. I got both of these items in gray to match my slate gray over black Racetex interior, and it looks tailor-made. Baby seat attaches nicely to the Taycan's LATCH system anchors. I have the 4+1 seat option, and I place the seat in the center, but you could place it on either side seat as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3MYVZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZ788W4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Ll312

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, S7, Q8
Country flag
Hi guys, has anyone tried putting rear facing baby seats in the Taycan? Does it even work or are the rear seats too inclined so baby head drops down?
Thanks in advance!
Yes,

Currently have a Nuna Rava rear facing. It fits, but your concern for the seat angle resulting in a more upright seating position is valid. If my child were younger with less head control I would avoid it. I haven’t tried yet but the middle seating position may have less of an incline compared to the outboard seats thereby alleviating that issue. Can try to take pictures if you’d like.

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Yes,

Currently have a Nuna Rava rear facing. It fits, but your concern for the seat angle resulting in a more upright seating position is valid. If my child were younger with less head control I would avoid it. I haven’t tried yet but the middle seating position may have less of an incline compared to the outboard seats thereby alleviating that issue. Can try to take pictures if you’d like.
If you could do that, that would be amazing! I didn’t realise the middle seat has a LATCH / ISOFIX system, I thought it only has a belt?

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
I've used the one linked below often to take my 20-month-old grandson for rides. Works very well for me. I recommend underlining it with the dog seat cover in the second link. Keeps feet off of the beautiful animal-free Taycan rear backrest and the front seat backs, and also catches baby's spilled crumbs/drinks. Even more importantly, it keeps the baby seat bottom edges from scuffing the Taycan's seat material. I got both of these items in gray to match my slate gray over black Racetex interior, and it looks tailor-made. Baby seat attaches nicely to the Taycan's LATCH system anchors. I have the 4+1 seat option, and I place the seat in the center, but you could place it on either side seat as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3MYVZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZ788W4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks a lot for this! Just to check how you put the baby seat in the middle seat? I thought this one doesn't have a LATCH system?

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Thanks a lot for this! Just to check how you put the baby seat in the middle seat? I thought this one doesn't have a LATCH system?
You are correct that the LATCH anchors are designated to be for the side seats only, but I have simply used the side seats' inboard LATCH anchors, which are spaced from the center seat to make possible attachment of the baby seat LATCH buckles there.

After reviewing the Graco and Porsche manuals, I must report here that the anchors, when used in this way, fall short of the requirements in the Graco manual, which states that the anchors must be spaced no more than 11" apart. This, then is a downside of the center placement while using only the LATCH system, as (I'm certain) this would not meet judicial scrutiny, and might actually be inadequate (though it feels rock-solid). The parents and I prefer center placement, thinking it would offer the best protection for the child in the event of a T-bone collision. So for absolute compliance per the Graco and Porsche manuals, one should use the seatbelt restraint method with the center seat belt. To use this, you must lock the seatbelt retraction as described in the Porsche manual (just pull out the belt all of the way to the retractor stop), route the belt through the seatbelt path indicated on the baby seat, buckle the belt, and retract it while pushing on the baby seat to compress the car seat padding. For compliance, but also (importantly) to obtain the maximum stabilization, I'll do this with my Taycan's center seatbelt from now on, in addition to the LATCH attachment.

I'll post a photo of my setup here soon, probably tomorrow in your time zone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
You are correct that the LATCH anchors are designated to be for the side seats only, but I have simply used the side seats' inboard LATCH anchors, which are spaced from the center seat to allow attaching the baby seat LATCH buckles there.

After reviewing the Graco and Porsche manuals, I must note that the anchors used in this way fall short of the requirements stated in the Graco manual, which states that the anchors must be spaced no more than 11" apart. This is a downside of the center placement, as (I'm certain) it would not meet judicial standards, and might actually be inadequate. I felt that this center placement would offer the best protection for the child in the event of a T-bone collision. So for absolute compliance per the Graco and Porsche manuals, one should use the seatbelt restraint method with the center seat belt. To use this, you must lock the seatbelt retraction as described in the Porsche manual (just pull out the belt all of the way to the retractor stop), route the belt through the seatbelt path indicated on the baby seat, buckle the belt, and tighten normally while pushing down on the seat to compress the car seat padding. For compliance but also (importantly) to get the maximum stabilization, I'll do this with my Taycan's center seatbelt from now on, in addition to the LATCH attachment.

I'll post a photo of my setup here soon, probably tomorrow in your time zone.
Thank you so much!

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I use the Maxi Cosi and the seat angle is a it of a problem, but just put a few blankets under the front of the seat and it will tilt to the right angle. It's no issue now.

OP
OP

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
I use the Maxi Cosi and the seat angle is a it of a problem, but just put a few blankets under the front of the seat and it will tilt to the right angle. It's no issue now.
So blankets here?

Porsche Taycan Rear facing baby seats? 4EB6E2DB-3627-469E-BCDF-9A4B59756E3A

leftang

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Country flag
I decided against Maxi Cosi b/o the reaspn above. I therefore use Axkid One, which has generous recline adjustment. Works very well for my 2 yo!

Ll312

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, S7, Q8
Country flag
If you could do that, that would be amazing! I didn’t realise the middle seat has a LATCH / ISOFIX system, I thought it only has a belt?
You can see the angle in a rear facing seat is less upright in the center seat. However the center seat placement doesn’t seem as secure compared to the outboard seats, probably owing to the shape of the middle hump. Also the middle seat does not have isofix anchors, but it does have a rear tether for forward facing installations.

Porsche Taycan Rear facing baby seats? EB305304-1C7C-4AED-9BC8-0EF560C0AE39

Porsche Taycan Rear facing baby seats? 9654DFFD-27FC-4DCC-9B11-6B270D71B3F3

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Our daughter has been in the Taycan since she was 2 months old, with no issues. We’ve taken 100 mile journeys and she’s comfortably slept the entire time, which I considered selfish of her - she should be back there appreciating the 4-zone clime control I paid for her benefit.

I was asking similar questions before purchasing and this may be useful: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-as-a-family-vehicle.3083/page-2#post-44206
Sponsored