Recall: High Voltage Battery May Short Circuit APB5 (2021-23) - December 13, 2023

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Just a thought and shear speculation:

It says over voltage is the cause not overcharge. You use overvoltage as way to drive electrons and create amperage. The higher the over-voltage the greater the amperage. On a car designed to charge at 270kw, you have to drive a lot of amperage requiring a high level of overvoltage (from the charger) to drive this electron flow. The car tells the charger how high of voltage to feed it, the charger doesn’t ram more current than the car asks for. This in itself is very normal.
What can be dangerous is how many batteries are in series in a voltage run. Voltage drops off with every battery in the series (V=IR) and the last battery has the lowest overvoltage and the lowest electron absorption. To quickly charge the last battery the voltage at the first battery has to be increased until the first battery stops taking electrons. Think of it like filling an ice tray from one side overflowing water to the next ice pocket, and the next etc (not a great example but good for the idea). it makes me wonder, with how long Taycan voltage series runs are how close is the first battery to the over-voltage design margin to drive 270kw…
Sandy Munro's team may be the best to assess how this "over-voltage" issue could arise in a Taycan, since Porsche isn't likely to give details.

Sponsored

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bet this "machine learning" is an person in excel just sorting a colum by build date :p

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bet this "machine learning" is an person in excel just sorting a colum by build date :p
I’d hope they would say that, because such clear criteria is much more trustworthy than some unknown, and likely still fallible even if known, machine learning algorithm. So Porsche wouldn’t be doing themselves any favors.

However, as Tooney pointed out, there are many more than 205 cars in those build ranges anyway.

TurboInCold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2022 + BMW i4 M50 2023
Country flag
My car has been at Porsche dealer now for a week due this recall (APB5). Today I got a call that one battery module and some other items needs to be replaced, and the replacement parts are estimated to be available in May due global shortage of battery modules.

So it looks like that the car will be at shop for 4 months due the recall. Its MY22 Turbo with 55tkm (33t miles). Luckily I got Taycan 4S as loaner, although not as loaded as mine.

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
My car has been at Porsche dealer now for a week due this recall (APB5). Today I got a call that one battery module and some other items needs to be replaced, and the replacement parts are estimated to be available in May due global shortage of battery modules.

So it looks like that the car will be at shop for 4 months due the recall. Its MY22 Turbo with 55tkm (33t miles). Luckily I got Taycan 4S as loaner, although not as loaded as mine.
I just received my recall letter from Porsche today. Have you had any more luck with yours or is the dealer still maintaining a 4 month ETA on the parts? My letter says no remedy is available yet and Porsche will reach out to me again when one is available. I'm going to hold off on reaching out to the dealer for a bit.

TurboInCold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[
I just received my recall letter from Porsche today. Have you had any more luck with yours or is the dealer still maintaining a 4 month ETA on the parts? My letter says no remedy is available yet and Porsche will reach out to me again when one is available.
I got an update that only one battery module needs to be replaced, and estimate for part arrival is at end of March, so I would be able to get my car back on early April.

Let’s see how it goes : mid-April would mean 3 months of waiting time. I’m missing innodrive, hud and 18-way club leather seats…

EscapeGoat23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just received my letter - 2021 Taycan Turbo CT, no contact from local dealer. Following this thread.

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just received my letter - 2021 Taycan Turbo CT, no contact from local dealer. Following this thread.
Did yours say no remedy is currently available as well? Supposedly Porsche would reach out again when one is available. I called the dealer as well and they told me to wait as instructed. Where are you located? I'm in Florida, for reference.

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
there are many many excellent EVSE alternatives to the Porsche units - my recommendation is move on and simply get a Wall Box, Chargepoint, Tesla Universal wall Charger, Enphase/ClipperCreek, Autel, JuiceBox, etc…they are all better than the porsche units and available overnight in most cases

moving on it easy, compatible, and has no major downsides - when Porsche gets around to providing the replacement cable - you can pack the unit away for when you sell/return the Taycan when you're done with it.
I think you're referring to a different recall? I also received the charge cord recall (apb6), but it's unrelated to the HV battery module recall (apb5).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think you're referring to a different recall? I also received the charge cord recall (apb6), but it's unrelated to the HV battery module recall (apb5).
apologies - you are correct - deleted.

EscapeGoat23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did yours say no remedy is currently available as well? Supposedly Porsche would reach out again when one is available. I called the dealer as well and they told me to wait as instructed. Where are you located? I'm in Florida, for reference.
It sounds like I got the exact same letter as you. I'm in the Atlanta metro.

Onyxta123

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It sounds like I got the exact same letter as you. I'm in the Atlanta metro.
Please keep us updated if you hear more from the dealer or directly from Porsche regarding the next steps. I'm more curious about how long the recall could potentially take to complete seeing as battery related repairs have taken some owners months to receive parts.

EscapeGoat23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please keep us updated if you hear more from the dealer or directly from Porsche regarding the next steps. I'm more curious about how long the recall could potentially take to complete seeing as battery related repairs have taken some owners months to receive parts.
Will do!

NL_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Just got my Taycan last week and noticed this recall was open on the Taycan. Weird part is that the Taycan went in for service 2 weeks ago and nothing was mentioned about the recall. So now i've made an appointment for the recall and they expect it takes about a week to check if the battery is ok. I doubt it because i barely get 300km out of it, which is about 100km less compared to my previous i4 M50.

TurboInCold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Weird part is that the Taycan went in for service 2 weeks ago and nothing was mentioned about the recall.
I got mine back a week ago, so in total car was at shop for 8 weeks. The actual repair took 4 days once the parts were at dealer.

I think the reason why the recall was not present for you at earlier visit is that my dealer told they are dowloading more detailed data from car on each service visit, and they are making that analysis based on that data. Mine had 22kW charger replaced a 1.5 months before the recall, and they had downloaded the data from the car then.

So there might be more cars to be included to this recall, but since Porsche can’t identify these remotely/OTA they will be recalled after some other service and data analysis done after that.
Sponsored

Reactions: NL_