Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
This came via e-mail today with a link to schedule a service appointment. At least I won't have to fight with my dealer over getting the update done:

This notice applies to your vehicle: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Porsche has decided that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2020-2021 Model Year Porsche Taycan vehicles. Our records show that you are the current owner of a vehicle affected by this recall.

What is the issue?
Due to a software issue, the power electronics in your vehicle can, in certain instances, incorrectly and sporadically detect a fault and trigger a shutdown of the power electronics, resulting in loss of motive power. If this occurs, the affected vehicles display the warning message "Motor control error Stop vehicle in a safe place" in the instrument cluster, and the vehicle can be restarted by pushing the On/Off button. A loss of motive power at higher speed can increase a risk of a crash.

What will Porsche do?
To help prevent this from occurring, Porsche is conducting a safety recall to reprogram the power electronics with updated software. In addition to this remedy, the powertrain software will also be updated to the latest specification. The remedy and software update will be performed at no cost to you. The remedy will take from 1 to 6 hours to perform; however depending on the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What should you do?
Please contact any authorized Porsche dealer to schedule an appointment to have this recall performed as soon as possible and to arrange for Porsche-provided alternate transportation, if necessary. To find your nearest authorized Porsche dealer, visit: www.porsche.com/usa

If your vehicle displays "Motor control error Stop vehicle in a safe place," please park your vehicle in a safe place and call Porsche roadside assistance at 1-800-PORSCHE or a local dealer for immediate support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause you. We are taking this action to help ensure your safety and continued satisfaction with your vehicle.

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I received the email as well.

I never did the first software update that caused this whole mess, so I'm a bit nervous to schedule the appointment. I've had zero issues over 7200 miles so far and don't want to jinx it.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I received the same email, even though my dealer performed the AMB5 upgrade prior to me taking delivery a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know if this recall is something to address a newer issue other than the AMB5 software update that's already been applied to my Taycan or is Porsche’s database simply not up to date?

I nevertheless scheduled a service appointment for early August as my car is in detention for the next two weeks getting a full PPF application. I figure the service department will call me to say the the appt. is unnecessary if everything in the recall has already been fully addressed.

Last edited:

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I also received the email though my car already got the fix. My dealer has confirmed the car is recall free.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I received the same email, even though my dealer performed the AMB5 upgrade prior to me taking delivery a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know if this is something newer than the AMB5 software update that's already been applied to my Taycan or is Porsche’s database simply not up to date?
I have the update too and I also received the email. I guess our VINs are not marked as updated in the recall tracking system so we will still have to take our cars for service and apply the same patch just to clear the recall. I am scheduled for end of July.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I have the update too and I also received the email. I guess our VINs are not marked as updated in the recall tracking system so we will still have to take our cars for service and apply the same patch just to clear the recall. I am scheduled for end of July.
Same here in DC. But fix was already made about 2 weeks ago.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Same here in DC. But fix was already made about 2 weeks ago.
Ditto. Update was done about two weeks ago and I received the recall email today as well. Called dealer and they verified that the car has no open recalls.

showtime88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Country flag
i just got the email today and my car has been mostly problem free. i ve had an issue with the backup / surround cams going crazy 2x and i had the spinning blue circle loading data 1x. dont know if taking it in will fix any of these things are make things worse....
Sponsored