Rented a Model Y

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
My Taycan is in the shop so I rented a Model Y from Hertz.

I was genuinely curious about how this would go. Do they have chargers on site?

At this location the answer is NO, surprisingly! Not even level 2 or 1. They shuttle cars back and forth from the nearest Supercharger to keep them charged for customers. They also noted they don't let them leave without at least 80% charge.

I have no idea if I am expected to return it with the same level of charge, or what it will cost if I don't. Since I have charging infrastructure at home I will plug it in so, shouldn't be an issue.

Review of the car: holy crap do I miss my Porsche.

It rides very bouncy, and I absolutely hate the one-pedal-driving (which cannot be disabled.) Lifting off the gas is like hitting the brakes.

On the positive side, the "radio that actually works" feature is PHENOMENAL!
I was listening to music from my phone, parked to go into the bank, came out and got back in and my music resumed where I left off almost immediately. WOW! What technology! I wish Porsche had this feature!
Can I set 1-pedal driving in the Taycan because I prefer it?
Sponsored

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The funny thing with one pedal driving is that it's the one thing that keeps many Tesla owners (including me) from seriously considering the Taycan. It does take a few days to get used to it, but for most, it's hard to go back to having to use the brake pedal. Car just feels so much more in control, especially when weaving in and out of traffic.

Wish Porsche would just offer a more aggressive regen setting.
I missed having it when I first got the Taycan, but the adaptive regen is close, at least in the cases where I miss it the most. I just wish that fture wouldn't randomly cancel itself.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got my car back! I definitely miss the radio in the Tesla.

67398607121__CF314B8A-FB17-4B36-8D08-AD8ED6DD3B7D.jpeg
Yup, drives me mad. Half the time the Apple Music service just disappears, even after I get back in after a short stop somewhere. Then when it finishes loading whatever it seems to need to load every time I start it, I often get the message to pick a track from the list to start playing.

Have you seen the one where the volume gets stuck at -1 too and you can't hear anything from Apple Music until you switch to a different source and back?

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems like they could both easily engineer it as an option you could enable or disable based on driver preference. I’ve gotten used to it on my Model S and would probably enable it on my incoming Taycan (if there were a button for that).
My Mercedes had paddles on the steering wheel that allowed adjustment of the regen level; actually made driving it more interesting as you could pull on the left paddle when you wanted to get more regen braking, and use the right one to get more coasting behavior on a freeway. It also had an auto mode like the Taycan, but, unlike the Taycan, it actually stayed on and worked all the time, rather than randomly canceling and needing me to re-engage it. (The Taycan is a fantastic car, let down by poor software.)

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yup, drives me mad. Half the time the Apple Music service just disappears, even after I get back in after a short stop somewhere. Then when it finishes loading whatever it seems to need to load every time I start it, I often get the message to pick a track from the list to start playing.

Have you seen the one where the volume gets stuck at -1 too and you can't hear anything from Apple Music until you switch to a different source and back?
YES. Both of these (mis)behaviors match my experience perfectly.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
A good thought because I didn’t even know that was a thing.
However no. But the “sprinkler head” mode was on. Trying that off.
C619FDA9-4CB1-4CD5-BCAC-B59DE744B9C3.jpeg
I have noticed that a few times I have felt warm in the car. I don't use the ECO AC mode only AC. When I looked down to adjust the temp cooler, I noticed the ECO AC was on. I don't how unless changing modes is the culprit. If you didn't know the ECO AC exists, perhaps it turned on and you didn't notice it.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
I wish I could set Auto Regen to the default. I love how it keeps a safe distance to the car ahead and any changes in distances. When clear it coasts.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have noticed that a few times I have felt warm in the car. I don't use the ECO AC mode only AC. When I looked down to adjust the temp cooler, I noticed the ECO AC was on. I don't how unless changing modes is the culprit. If you didn't know the ECO AC exists, perhaps it turned on and you didn't notice it.
Going to/through range mode automatically engages Eco AC. Maybe it is one of the settings which does not change to a default when re-starting.
Sponsored