Harbor_Dawg

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 90D; 2020 Porsche GT4; Ram 1500
Country flag
The funny thing with one pedal driving is that it's the one thing that keeps many Tesla owners (including me) from seriously considering the Taycan. It does take a few days to get used to it, but for most, it's hard to go back to having to use the brake pedal. Car just feels so much more in control, especially when weaving in and out of traffic.

Wish Porsche would just offer a more aggressive regen setting.
Seems like they could both easily engineer it as an option you could enable or disable based on driver preference. I’ve gotten used to it on my Model S and would probably enable it on my incoming Taycan (if there were a button for that).
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
porsche should and could add this - but it must be optional - one pedal drive is great for around town - terrible for any track/spirited driving - so it must be optional if they were to add it

Reactions: B61

Deleted member 6348

porsche should and could add this - but it must be optional - one pedal drive is great for around town - terrible for any track/spirited driving - so it must be optional if they were to add it
They should not add one pedal driving.
I am a staunch advocate for the 2 (or 3) pedal driving experience. Part of the appeal of the Taycan is that it drives like a proper Porsche.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I am a staunch advocate for the 2 (or 3) pedal driving experience. Part of the appeal of the Taycan is that it drives like a proper Porsche.
as a driving profile option that can be configured I'm not sure what the objection is. It's all just software - Porsche could make it part of the "drive mode" selection and the owner could turn it on/off as their personal perference's dictate

honestly they have everything they need with their existing "blended braking" software - just move some of the "blend" to accelerator pedal (not all of it)…

since it's all software anyways - Porsche has the ability to add some regen with just the accelerator - they already have this with the existing "regen" button setting - so it's just a matter of degree…

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I agree with Dave, no reason it can't be an option. People are free to choose which mode they want to use. For example, do you also feel that no Porsche should have adaptive cruise control, active lane keeping, etc.? With how good the Taycan is at touring, there's sometimes where you just want to relax and let the car assist your drive. One pedal driving is a similar sort of assistance.

Deleted member 6348

I agree with Dave, no reason it can't be an option. People are free to choose which mode they want to use. For example, do you also feel that no Porsche should have adaptive cruise control, active lane keeping, etc.? With how good the Taycan is at touring, there's sometimes where you just want to relax and let the car assist your drive. One pedal driving is a similar sort of assistance.
I have ACC. As an engineer, I subscribe to Porsche’s “coasting is more efficient” approach. For highway driving, it is superior.

Indeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve never been a fan of one pedal braking for the same reason. But I must say that I was surprised how many expert reviews dinged the Taycan for the absence of an equivalent option - by people as reputable as Chris Harris from Top Gear. So I tend to agree that it would make sense for Porsche to acknowledge that a 1 pedal driving option might increase its popularity among some drivers.
Live and let live.
You say potahto, I say “tater”.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
IMO, (auto)regen is great & helps in city traffic, even on highway (in rush hours)…but there’s no need when you are on an empty road….where you can drive it as (stolen :giggle: ) Porsche should be driven.
OTOH, I found out that coasting (and light foot) saves more Kwhs than regen…

bottom line: it’s just a software, so why not…who likes it, will use it, others won’t….

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
as a driving profile option that can be configured I'm not sure what the objection is. It's all just software - Porsche could make it part of the "drive mode" selection and the owner could turn it on/off as their personal perference's dictate

honestly they have everything they need with their existing "blended braking" software - just move some of the "blend" to accelerator pedal (not all of it)…

since it's all software anyways - Porsche has the ability to add some regen with just the accelerator - they already have this with the existing "regen" button setting - so it's just a matter of degree…
I agree that Porsche already has the software/hardware to enable one-pedal driving. If you use the automatic regen setting (long press on the regen button on steering wheel) and the road conditions require it, you can get very aggressive regeneration similar to Tesla one-pedal driving (I also have a TM3P). What may be missing is the full stop and then ”hold” function.

Deleted member 6348

so you agree with porsche's engineers, Great! I am sure that hans and franz have a big smile on their faces after reading that.

do you want to impose your opinions onto others who want to use some sort of more aggressive regen to slow the car down?

for many taycan owners their taycan is their first Pcar and they don't have any sort of legacy biases about what a porsche should or should not do.
The car already uses very aggressive regen to slow the car down when you use the brake pedal. Porsche’s brake blending is the best in the business.

“Legacy biases”… um… yeah… um. For EVs to succeed at scale they need to appeal to current enthusiasts. Having a pedal to go fast and a pedal to slow down is not an obsolete concept.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The car already uses very aggressive regen to slow the car down when you use the brake pedal. Porsche’s brake blending is the best in the business.

“Legacy biases”… um… yeah… um. For EVs to succeed at scale they need to appeal to current enthusiasts. Having a pedal to go fast and a pedal to slow down is not an obsolete concept.
enjoy your car however you care to utilize it, but allow other people to enjoy their cars as well.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
To me one-pedal-driving is better in city traffic, coasting is better for highways.
Speed adapted regen would be better. Or linked to the map, depending on the location.

It would be so nice for innovation if there was a car with open-source software on it. So much software things I would change in the Taycan if only I had access to the code....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
To me one-pedal-driving is better in city traffic, coasting is better for highways.
Speed adapted regen would be better. Or linked to the map, depending on the location.

It would be so nice for innovation if there was a car with open-source software on it. So much software things I would change in the Taycan if only I had access to the code....
I think the big problem with non-Tesla software is history.
The first electronic parts with processors in were probably ignition and ABS, later fuel management but when stability control got added a central controller was needed and I don’t think, both because of existing parts and the options list meaning many different combinations of controllers was a possibility, that everything was integrated into a single controller.

Now Tesla only ever had one controller and the options were standard or ”full self driving”. This means it is trivial to have a single programme and equally trivial to update.

With Porsche my CT 4S has 4 wheel steer, torque vectoring and PDCC so it is obvious that the first thing any update needs to do is interrogate the car and find how many and which controllers it has on it. Any code needs to have been de-bugged for any combination and any update may need changes to both the main controller and some of the satellites.
Or not.

So it seems to me any of the traditional makers with a traditional multi-option sales model and probably using some legacy controllers connected to a central one will never be simple to update or de-bug.