bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Are there any Taycan owners considering a Rivian?

My daily commute is a mix of 100+ highway miles with several hours off-road as part of major infrastructure projects. Right now its handled with my 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

Looking to replace the Jeep with Rivian.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/features/2021-rivian-r1t-electric-truck-first-drive-review/
I really like the look of these - they seem to have been pretty bulletproof on Long Way Up (if you've been watching that on Apple TV). I wonder if they'll make it to the UK at some point? Any information on the likely pricing?

OP
OP
TomP

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
I really like the look of these - they seem to have been pretty bulletproof on Long Way Up (if you've been watching that on Apple TV). I wonder if they'll make it to the UK at some point? Any information on the likely pricing?
I have not heard about UK options. You can email them at [email protected]

They have been consistently quoting $69,000 well equipped (truck not SUV) with the 135kW battery.
I may be headed for the 180kW just not sure yet. The configurator with pricing is supposed to go live by end of the year.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I had absolutely planned on buying the R1S, but the wait was killing me so I bought the Taycan instead. I didn't really need an SUV for anything, but the potential 400-mile range lured me in to considering EVs. I suppose I may still miss out on the occasional convenience of an SUV, but I do love my Taycan (and it looks as though I'll have had it for a year before the Rivians are finally in production).

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Good luck. I would not buy a first gen EV from these new companies, they're going to be QC nightmares.
I bought a first-production run Fisker Karma and I'd like to disagree with you... but I can't. Although my Karma eventually got sorted out and it was largely trouble-free for eight years, the first six to twelve months of ownership was challenging, and it makes the "big issues" we are facing with some early Taycan's pale by comparison (not to minimize the pain people with the 12V issue have experienced, but even still). You have to be willing to deal with uncertainty and lower dispatch reliability for any first-gen vehicle, and that's doubly so for a first time manufacturer. I am very interested in Rivian and I've been following them closely, but I wouldn't pick a R1T as my primary daily driver or work truck in the first year of production.

Brent

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
We have a reservation for a Launch Edition R1S.

Really looking forward to an off-road capable three row electric SUV. I need the room for all of our camping and ski gear. The Model X didn't fit the bill. We currently have our Audi E-tron but again it's more of a city SUV.

I'm expecting issues with a new company and new vehicle, but we're willing to put up with some pain. Rivian is quite impressive if you watch a lot of their videos that demonstrate the punishment they have put these vehicles through. They seem very legit.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I think the Rivian is very beautiful and I like the 7 seats, but my guess is it will take long to be available and supported in Germany. And personally I have doubts about the wheel hub motors and their longevity.

Edit: I learned from the posts below that they are *not* hub motors - good!

Last edited:

OP
OP
TomP

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
We have a reservation for a Launch Edition R1S.

Really looking forward to an off-road capable three row electric SUV. I need the room for all of our camping and ski gear. The Model X didn't fit the bill. We currently have our Audi E-tron but again it's more of a city SUV.

I'm expecting issues with a new company and new vehicle, but we're willing to put up with some pain. Rivian is quite impressive if you watch a lot of their videos that demonstrate the punishment they have put these vehicles through. They seem very legit.
We reserved a Launch Edition R1S on Monday as well. Rivian is certainly not rushing this to market, its been very slow going.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the Rivian is very beautiful and I like the 7 seats, but my guess is it will take long to be available and supported in Germany. And personally I have doubts about the wheel hub motors and their longevity.
It has four motors (one to each wheel) but they are not in the hubs. Each motor has a direct connection to the wheel instead of a single motor going into a differential. This is actually a much better setup as it allows for simulating locking front, center, and rear differentials which is ideal for off-road conditions.

Tesla originally had dual motors for the rear wheel drive Performance Model S in the same configuration. The Tesla tri-motor setup for the Cybertruck and Model S Plaid also has a dual motor setup in the rear. Audi is also supposedly going to have a trip-motor setup for the E-tron S.

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review rivian-architecture-2000

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The motor assemblies are circled in red. Each assembly includes two motors and two gearboxes with separate output shafts to each wheel.

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review Image 11-21-20 at 9.36 AM

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the Audi Etron S setup. Two motors in the rear with separate gear boxes and output shafts. Rivian is simply doing this configuration in both the front and rear.

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review A201494_medium-e1582916418807

OP
OP
TomP

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
You may be talking about the Lordstown Motors EV with motors in the wheel hubs.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Thanks for the clarifications regarding the motors - sounds much better now!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
The Rivian looks awesome in person. The lines and size make it look very appealing

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review 20210807_110558

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review 20210807_110636

Porsche Taycan Rivian R1T early review 20210807_110707

Reactions: B61